Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What's the proper technique for firing a PCA?

SCI-Nurse is right about that: for now, non-medical in-home care workers in California are not required to be licensed or background checked or TB tested or anything, whether they work independently or through an agency.

There is a bill working its way through the California legislature right now (SB411) that would require that in-home care workers who are employees of home care companies would be TB-tested and fingerprint-checked.

However, SB411 only applies to those workers who are employees of such companies, and it requires that the companies pay all the costs of those TB test and fingerprint checks. It also imposes a $145/year license fee on each employee caregiver AND it requires the employer companies to pay for those licenses.

The employer companies will have to raise the rates they charge in order to pay for any such costs that are new. For example, my company, which acts as the employer of the caregivers we send to help clients in their homes, already DOES do TB testing and fingerprint checking, and already DOES pay for the cost of those items. There's no legal requirement for us to do TB testing or fingerprint checking, but we think it's just the right thing to do and so we do it.

It costs us around $100 for each new employee to do this, and then $20 per year after that for the TB re-test that we (again, voluntarily,) do. We don't have to re-do the fingerprint check annually because the system we use, the California Department of Justice system, notifies us if anyone is arrested after we have obtained a fingerprint check on them.

The new SB411 mandate to pay for the individual workers' annual license fees will increase our costs and will have to be passed on to clients in the form of increased fees.

Persons working privately on their own, or through companies that are "referral agencies" that don't treat them as employees, would not be covered, so the main impact of SB411 may be to drive more clients to use privately hired or referral agency-based unlicensed, un-fingerprinted, and un-TB tested workers in order to afford care, and perhaps unwittingly become the employers of those caregivers, responsible for employer taxes and withholding and workers compensation liability. <sigh>

- Tim
    Last edited by TColling; 02-22-2012 at 11:22 AM.

PCA update

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
    Even with long-term care insurance, I'm going broke.

My day PCA gets $18 per hour and insists on a guaranteed 18 to 19 hours a week, even if she goes home early most days and actually works about 13-15 hours. Her favorite words are "that's not my job."

My night PCA, who can mow the lawn, shovel snow, change lightbulbs and install smoke detectors, do wheelchair repairs, wash my car and shop for me in addition to his regular duties, says he can do double duty at $15 an hour because he needs the money.

What should I do, folks?
    I finally fired her.

Probably feels like a relief at this point, eh?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Good for you. Hold onto the good one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
    I finally fired her.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).