Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kids just adapt

Our granddaughter loves to ride on Davids lap in the sling when we put him in the chair with the ceiling lift. He started out giving her rides in the wagon we attached to the back of his chair when she was just days old. Now she sits on his lap to tilt back and take a nap, go for a ride, whatever. On her second birthday we had her party at a lodge type setting with lakes, cabins, woods, etc. someone said "lets go for a walk" she looked at papa and climbed right up on his lap and said "lets go for a RIDE" he loved it!

Before my niece started school at three years old my sister used to walk her and the dog in Hyde Park every day.

Niece would run up to every wheeler she saw convinced that they knew me, the great thing about it was how most of them played along and now, four years on, she still stops and chats with them when she and sis' are out dog walking.

Thankfully, the Christmas card that never was..........

One day when I was a kid, we were running errands and my mother made a point of going home, getting my wheelchair out of the car, and asking my little brother to drive it inside (when we actually had one more stop to make before going inside). He got in gleefully and drove it perfectly up the ramp, and when we got back from the final errand (for which I stayed in the car, obviously) he drove it back out again with a big smile on his face.

Another time we went to visit some relatives, and because the mother-in-law didn't speak English they brought in a 9 year old cousin to translate while they were at work all day. The mother-in-law barely spoke to us, so we just spent time with the little girl, giving her coloring books and making her some homemade Play-Doh. She quickly attached herself to me, constantly stroking my hand and asking if I could feel it. She also noticed when others would put my hand back on the armrest after it slipped off, and began doing it herself without me asking her to.

Then on the morning we were about to leave, the mother-in-law came over to me while I was with the girl in the kitchen and everyone else was packing. Without preamble she grabbed my wrist, started flapping my hand above my head, and shouting at me in her native language. The little girl translated "Grandma wants to know why you don't move." Shocked, I started to go into my spiel about nerves and myelin when she dropped my arm and left the room. I was thinking "what the hell just happened?" while starting to topple over when the little girl quietly crossed the room to put my arm back on the armrest.

Another time a former PCA brought her young (three or four years old) daughter to meet me, and was showing the kid the ventilator. The girl asked what the blinking lights meant, and her mother explained that indicated when the machine gave me a breath. She looked at her mother in surprise and exclaimed, "Mommy, I want to breathe for her!" Damn, that made me sniffle

Mine were older when I got hurt. 8th and 10th grade. Oldest is currently in grad school, will be a PT. Younger is a junior, and will graduate with an OT degree.

Neither had plans in either of these fields prior to my accident. But they tagged along to all my appointments, and were included as much as they were around in rehab.

Sometimes things work out nicely.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

bump .......
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I’m the type of person that never really had the desire to have my own children. After my accident caused a shattered pelvis and broken back, that just gave me a better excuse as to why I shouldn’t even try. Now, don’t get me wrong. I love children, I just don’t want my own.

I recently found myself involved with a man that has twin grandsons that are about a year and a half old. It’s been interesting finding ways to pick them up with basically no trunk control, but I’ve managed so far.

The first day I was over at their house, before I even knew what was happening, I had a boy on each knee, each resting on his respective shoulder. As I’m sure ya’ll can figure, you put a baby in a woman’s arms, she turns into mush. The thought didn’t cross my mind until I had two babies almost asleep on me, kissed each on the head, then looked up to see the old man with a s**t eatin’ grin on his face.

I didn’t find out until later that the boys NEVER go up to anyone they don’t know. Apparently because I was in a chair like Paw Paw, I was “safe” and completely accepted at first sight. I hate to admit it, but I’m hooked. LOL