Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new computer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

new computer

My computer crashed and now I need another one, twice in a row I have spent over 1200 on suppose to be a good lap top and few years in junk. So I am sick of spending 1000's and they dont last long. I use it for documents, pictures, little music no gaming or crap like that. I'm thinking dell or hp since my last two that went to crap were toshiba and acer. Which processor is the best AMD or intel? I also want speed as fast as possible. Any comments appreciated...

i had a acer amd laptop for over 2 years, works great, think i paid about 400, where are getting laptops over 1000k, i have some i'll sell you
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

first one online (toshiba) second one from a computer dealer (acer)

For what you're using them for, just buy a cheaper model. And it doesn't matter AMD or Intel for what you're using it for, but AMD is cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...tops-Notebooks
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I have had good luck with Acer and HP/Compaq, but if I were to buy one today, I'd get a Lenovo ThinkPad.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

I have had thinkpads for my last 3 laptops. They are very durable and great machines.

Quote Originally Posted by redroc2 View Post
    My computer crashed and now I need another one, twice in a row I have spent over 1200 on suppose to be a good lap top and few years in junk. So I am sick of spending 1000's and they dont last long. I use it for documents, pictures, little music no gaming or crap like that. I'm thinking dell or hp since my last two that went to crap were toshiba and acer. Which processor is the best AMD or intel? I also want speed as fast as possible. Any comments appreciated...
    I have been using a Gateway laptop for about 3 years without problem. I am now looking at computers as a short-term investment that is disposable. My next one will be a less than $500 model that I can get at Walmart, Sams, or online. They have everything average users need. For what you do, you are not likely to notices speed differences between high end and lower end chips. These days, the internet connection speed is where speed counts when downloading music, movies, etc. The fastest computer in the world is not going help poor internet service.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redroc2 View Post
    For laptops I like the Dell Inspiron 14z. PC Perspective did a write up on this laptop not that long ago. Intel still makes a better CPU. If you are bargain shopping take a look at GotApex and Slick Deals.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

I would agree with PN that for mobile processors the intel processors are better than AMD. For a desktop computers I prefer AMD but I do really compute intensive stuff for work that most people would care about.

I just bought my second Toshiba Satellite 2 months ago (paid $685 USD for it). Apart from a broken AC/DC adapter, they are a very good brand. My first Satellite went to my brother after almost 4 years. I think he still has it.

DON'T touch HP with a 10 ft pole. It took me an hour on the phone with them back in November to get thru that I needed a battery that I never got (They told me to take the thing to a repair shop or send it back in. When I refused both options, they hung up on me saying they didn't recognize THEIR OWN FREAKING LAPTOP as it was a demo), for a Pro Book 6730b that was overheating after 3 years. This is after: 1) the CD drive locked up me on the same 6730b, so I sent it back for a different model; 2) the replacement model, an EliteBook 5870 or something like that (I can't remember the exact number) wouldn't recognize any CD or DVD I put in the drive. I sent it back and got the same 6730b back and it was smooth sailing until last November when it began overheating, draining the battery and shutting down.
    Last edited by EricaBold; 02-09-2012 at 11:51 PM.