Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tassimo owners!

Tassimo owners!

Usually I wouldn't post such a thing, but I figure we all have problems enough without a severe burn to add to the mix. Tassimo issued a warning/recall today.... From Yahoo news.
    --------------------------

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Home-brewed coffee lovers, take note: More than a million popular coffee makers are being recalled after dozens of reports of the brewers spraying hot liquid, coffee grounds or tea leaves onto people.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission says there have been 140 reports of problems with the Tassimo (TAH'-sih-moh) single-cup brewers dousing people, including 37 cases involving second-degree burns.

In one incident, a 10-year-old girl was hospitalized with second-degree burns to her face and neck.

CPSC says the coffee maker's "T-disc," the plastic disc that holds the coffee or tea, can burst while brewing.

About 835,000 coffee makers are on recall in the United States; another 900,000 in Canada.

The agency also announced the recall of 4 million packages of Tassimo espresso T-discs after 21 reports of problems.

Great! I love my lil Tassimo!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Thanks! I use my Tassimo but recently bought a Keurig that I'm using more.
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Keep a dish towel nearby and put it over the top of the machine when it is brewing. That way the hot water wil be caught by the towel and not your face.

Sounds like the discs that burst are the problem, not the machine?

I too use a keurig.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post
    Sounds like the discs that burst are the problem, not the machine?
    I thought that was the case, but it looks like some machines themselves are now being recalled so the problem might be bigger than faulty batches of expresso disks. The problem with the disks bursting has been an issue in the past. We had it happen in my household with 2 or 3 Starbucks expresso disks. Luckily no burns, but it made a hell of a mess in my kitchen each time with grinds everywhere. They don't sell those disks anymore.

But that aside, I have had a Tassimo since they first came on the market in Canada about 5 years ago and never had any other problems. I have a K-Cup machine too and as much as I like it a lot, I think the Tassimo brews better quality drinks. Hopefully they get the issue fixed without anybody else getting hurt.

On the Facebook site, it explains better. I have the older Braun Tassimo, it seems to be the newer Bosch Tassimo there is an issue with.

I still use my Tassimo for cappuccinos but like the Keurig for Starbucks and instant hot water for teas....
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

$51 Per Pound - The Deceptive Cost Of Single Serve Coffee

With Coffee, the Price of Individualism Can Be High
    By OLIVER STRAND | Published: February 7, 2012 | NYTimes.com

SOMETIMES it's hard to tell how much coffee costs, even if you know what you spent. At least that's the case with many of the single-serve brewing machines that are soaring in popularity.

For example, the Nespresso Arpeggio costs $5.70 for 10 espresso capsules, while the Folgers Black Silk blend for a K-Cup brewed-coffee machine is $10.69 for 12 pods. But that Nespresso capsule contains 5 grams of coffee, so it costs about $51 a pound. And the Folgers, with 8 grams per capsule, works out to more than $50 a pound.

(Read the rest...)
    ______
    Awe at my magnificent coq!

"You may say I'm a dreamer
    but I'm not" - J. Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by eks View Post
    With Coffee, the Price of Individualism Can Be High
    By OLIVER STRAND | Published: February 7, 2012 | NYTimes.com

SOMETIMES it's hard to tell how much coffee costs, even if you know what you spent. At least that's the case with many of the single-serve brewing machines that are soaring in popularity.

For example, the Nespresso Arpeggio costs $5.70 for 10 espresso capsules, while the Folgers Black Silk blend for a K-Cup brewed-coffee machine is $10.69 for 12 pods. But that Nespresso capsule contains 5 grams of coffee, so it costs about $51 a pound. And the Folgers, with 8 grams per capsule, works out to more than $50 a pound.

(Read the rest...)
    I don't think most people who invest in a single serve system are looking for the cheapest way to drink their coffee. Ease of use, lack of mess to clean up (except when a t-disk explodes on you), the ability to quickly serve a variety of drinks from one machine, not making a pot of coffee then throwing it out later because you only drank one cup, etc. outweigh the cost issue for me. If you don't drink cup after cup all day long, the price isn't that bad.

I don't have a nespresso machine but my brother does. After trying several of the capsules while visiting him, I'd say they are worth the price. They produce very high quality drinks.

I had used a Keurig for years and only recently gave it away to a friend, as the ecological footprint was just too big for my conscience. All that plastic and foil will exist in landfills virtually forever. I bought one of the alternative reusable cups that you fill with your own coffee and it just didn't taste the same, plus a fair amount of grounds got thru the mesh, making it more like French press style coffee. I am now back to just a small easy to use coffee maker with which I can use unbleached filter paper and nothing else. The grounds and filter are quickly biodegradable, and my choice of coffee has gone back to anything in the world that I might want to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I had used a Keurig for years and only recently gave it away to a friend, as the ecological footprint was just too big for my conscience. All that plastic and foil will exist in landfills virtually forever. I bought one of the alternative reusable cups that you fill with your own coffee and it just didn't taste the same, plus a fair amount of grounds got thru the mesh, making it more like French press style coffee. I am now back to just a small easy to use coffee maker with which I can use unbleached filter paper and nothing else. The grounds and filter are quickly biodegradable, and my choice of coffee has gone back to anything in the world that I might want to try.
    Way to go to make me feel bad, now! If I tear apart the cups and recycle the plastic and foil and compost the used grounds, can I get out of the guilt trap you have laid for me? LOL!
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess