View Poll Results: How many people who have had the Lima Procedure in Portugal have improved?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Improved substantially (major sensory and motor return)

3 15.00%
  • Improved slightly (some sensory and motor)

7 35.00%
  • Did not change very much or at all

6 30.00%
  • Had a slight loss of function (lost some strength and sensation)

0 0%
  • Had substantial loss of function (had ascent of neurological level)

4 20.00%
Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 4142434445464748495051525354555657 LastLast

Thread: Just returned home from Dr. Lima's procedure!!!!!

hi

Hello all.

Susan and I are close friends. I just got off the phone with her and told her that there were some questions here for her. She has asked me to tell all that she is in the process of moving and will not have internet till the latter part of next week.

Until than........

Quote Originally Posted by mm721
    Susan and All,
    I have a pair of leg braces that bend and lock at the knees while walking. They were made by Horton in Little Rock, AR. The knee joint is called stance control orthotic kne joint (SCOKJ) http://www.stancecontrol.com/
    I think they have an upgraded electrical version now. I have the regular mechanical ones.
    Awesome site, will have to check it out further when not so late...this looks to be what we were talking about! Yaaah, mm. TY sooo much.
    "I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.

awesome knee joint

Hello,
    To comment on the knee joints; while researching with my friend we found this website www.messerorthopedics.com (which has some patients in braces on it)
    The owner is very personable and explains things very well; I called him! He has made over 40 pairs of the stance control braces; with the bendable knee joint to promote the natural walking pattern. He has made braces for people who are C-5-6 quads and then teaches them how to walk. He sounds great and I can't wait for my friend to meet him.
    Last edited by caringfriend; 03-06-2006 at 05:59 PM.

Dr. carlos Lima

I am 5 months into a complete SCI at T12 and will like to hear from more of Dr. Limas patients on his experimental procedure, I have questions, like.

Has his technique changed or improved since he started a few years ago?
    Is it true that he takes cord tissue samples from above and below the injury site?
    Is it true he is working out of Mexico and Colombia now?
    How many patients with SCI has he operated on, worldwide?
    What is the average improvement a week to a year after surgery?
    How many patients have had rejection, tumors or death from his procedure?
    Any other side affects other than the expected temporary increase of pain?
    Any patients that became worst?

Any one out there that can help with any more info?

I am thinking of having this experimental surgery done this year.

Thanks to-u all.

Glider

Susan? Close friend Spidergirl, where is she?
    Last edited by teesieme; 03-10-2006 at 03:24 AM.
    "I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.

Hello everyone!!!

First off, I feel it is imparative for Cowgirl to realize that benefits from Dr. Lima's procedure is minimal and I do not agree with having this done to date. It appears that Dr. Lima has done approximatly 70 patients and the technique, (as far as I am aware) has not impoved. Therefore, you will be spending between 50,000 and 100,000 dollars when more effective treatments are on the horizon! I disagree strongly for more patients to spend their money on this as it is not proven to be effective and I can not say with certainty that I recieved any improvement due to this invasive surgery. Please consider seriously......

On a good note, I have been working out on my Scitrainer, walking with braces, and using my FES bike (which i did not have before the surgery) and it appears that progress continues to date. For example, my sensation is most definatly more intense and the harder i work-out the more i improve. A well developed exercise program is key as we search towards our endeavor in finding a cure to this catastrophic condition!!! Spinal cord injury is reversable, we are simply at the mercy of science and must help to propel it forward in anyway possible. Please, we are so close....

Caringfriend, thanks so much for the link. I no longer will be looking into developing this idea... (sigh of relief) It will be interesting to try this set of braces in the near future.

Glider, his technique has not changed as far as i am aware. I have encouraged him to do this as the one he currently has used on so many desperate people has simply not helped. It is very hard for me to speak for others, but i do know that the ones who have had this procedure are no where near walking independently. No one is dead from this procedure that i am aware of. A friend of mine did loose some sensation, I will let this person speak for themselves.

Many clinical trials are either running are getting ready to run here in the USA, be patient.

Thanks Spider, see ya in D.C.!!!!!

Teesime, i am here..

I would like all the help possible to raise as much awarness as possible for the rally in D.C., please lets all work together and fight the good fight.

Cure SCI/Fight with Courage awareness bracelets are currently in over 50 countries and all over the USA!!!

~~~Godspeed for a cure~~~
    Last edited by Susan Fajt; 03-27-2006 at 10:36 PM.
    Godspeed~
    Susan
    www.sciwalker.com

It seems strange that after so many operations, with such a limited success rate, why Dr Lima would continue to practice his technique.

As he appears to be someone at the forfront of an emerging therapy, I would of thought he would of been continually developing his procedure, to allow greater recovery.

Simon.

Any differeces between Lima's procedure with Huang's surgery?

Hey guys,
    Can u give me some time and send me some details about Dr. Lima's procedure and treatment and sucessness or any thing about him because Dr. Lima will come in india in november,
    Need all of urs views to go for treatment or not

with warm regards,
    pavel

waiting your replies, please give me all detailes of doctor Lima
    Pavel