View Poll Results: How many people who have had the Lima Procedure in Portugal have improved?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Improved substantially (major sensory and motor return)

3 15.00%
  • Improved slightly (some sensory and motor)

7 35.00%
  • Did not change very much or at all

6 30.00%
  • Had a slight loss of function (lost some strength and sensation)

0 0%
  • Had substantial loss of function (had ascent of neurological level)

4 20.00%
Page 49 of 57 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051525354555657 LastLast

Thread: Just returned home from Dr. Lima's procedure!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Fajt
    It is best this way as he too has a Scitrainer 1, so there are no excuses!! You guys are gonna find this to be funny i have a feeling, i know we do and are very hopefully for the future as we reside in the present with smiles on our faces! i will try and get some pictures of what i feel is the best PT out there to date as we move along in our quest to be and do all that we can!!
    So is purchasing a Scitrainer 1 from you a prerequisite to most sucessfully accomplish using KAFO's post-Lima procedure?

Lightbulb Invention talk.

Andy,

I did not have KAFO's before going to have Dr. Lima's procedure. If i *had* to make a choice between my Scitrainer 1- (gazelle exercise machine with a add on feature for people with disabilites to use an AB work-out machine in the privacy of there homes), Camel- (wheelchair that lowers me to the ground and back up for pool therapy) or my Venus Craft (wheelchair that cruises around while standing up, very fast i might add and probably to dangerous for most, i love it though or my elevator system- (flys you up 5 feet in a matter of seconds) or one of the many other inventions we have made, it would be a VERY tough decsion but i would most likely have to choose the Scitrainer 1 as it does take the place of braces for the most part in terms of keeping your body in shape. None of these machines are for everyone as they where made to make my life easier and more fun. However, due to the fact that they are very important i have decided to make some of them available to help others the way they have helped me in so many ways. Also, EVERY person that has one is very thankful and i now realize that i made the right choice to go through hell and make the Scitrainer the first invention available for others and the Camel will follow suit most likely. The answer to your question is yes, for me it was imparative to have the Scitrainer 1 in order to stay active and had an interesting time developing the machines with my dads help! Here is a picture to evaluate- http://www.sciwalker.com/scitrainer1.php

FYI-I am currently working on a wheelchair that harnesses energy by ________, (secret for now). very unusual, very.
    Last edited by Susan Fajt; 09-07-2005 at 01:40 PM. Reason: reasons.
    Godspeed~
    Susan
    www.sciwalker.com

Interesting marketing technique Susan.

Lightbulb Why not?

Thanks Andy!

I do donate money from the inventions in persuit of a cure. Also, they are great machines for both yourself and others who want to stay in good shape until we find that hidden cure...
    __________________________________________________ ____________

For the record on where i stand on Dr. Lima's procedure, this was in another post but i feel it should have been posted here long ago...

I am not "negative" about Dr. Lima's procedure, i simply wished that he would improve upon his procedure before doing other individuals who also have substained a SCI. I applaud Dr. Lima for his efforts to bring human clinical trials into fruition. It is true that i have recovered all of the things listed below and still *think* that i am continuing to improve. With this being said, i would like for everyone to understand that i went to have Dr. Lima's procedure one year and a half after becoming injured. The first six months after my injury i spent with my ex-fiance trying to insure that he would come out of his comma and walk and talk again. I was very concered about him and did not think of my own recovery until he was showing great progress, so i then sought out for my own. I went to Tirr and it was tirrible as they had nothing to help me recover in the department of PT. The only thing i knew to do was to create my own inventions, so i did and they work great for me! What i am trying to convey is that i can not say with certainty if i got the benefits from his procedure or from time or from the inventions that where made or from persistance or what have you. I do not regret having the surgery as it in my mind gave me the hope that i would walk again, at least it gave the belief that it might be possible. Looking back, being that plenty of time has passed i am certain that Dr. Lima should stop and evaluate the 45 sum patients and re-group and try something in combination so that it might better help those to regain functional improvement. I have had asia scores and yes they did improve after the surgery, yet most people improve with time no matter if they have had a procedure or not. It is this simple, i do not live in a world of regrets, nor have i changed my mind on anything as i am glad i went otherwise i would have never fought as hard as i did on many levels, he gave me strength and i thank Dr. Lima for this as he is a good man. I do not agree with him continuing to do more surgeries and i have spoke with him at length due to my success or lack of. If you choose to have this procedure done then you will spend at least 35,000K and you can hope for the best but do expect the worst. It is imparative that something be added in combination with this brave doctors surgery, otherwise you will either get back minimal results to none. I hope this helps others understand where i stand and why.
    Last edited by Susan Fajt; 09-07-2005 at 11:44 PM. Reason: adding more info..
    Godspeed~
    Susan
    www.sciwalker.com

Wink Evaluating my competitor!

Godspeed~
    Susan
    www.sciwalker.com

I tripped over this forum and it is great, i just wished i found it ages ago. I have read a few forums asking if Dr Lima would do the treatment on someone who has feeling below there injury. Could someone please fill me in if he does the procedure on incomplete people yet? Or is it still too early? The feedback would be much appreciated, everyone keep up the great work!!

Hot_wheels

please help us

I read your post about your trip to Dr. Lima in Portugal. My name is Billie Wasmer and my dear friend and neighbor Lynda has a daughter, Lilianna, who is paralized from the waist down as a result of a cancerous spinal astrocytoma. She is cancer free but still paralized. Lynda saw the CBS special about Dr. Lima and is interested in any information you can give us. How do you go about getting in touch with Dr. Lima. What did you need to go there, did you just go with your medical records and thats it?

Please help us with any information you can give us!

Sincerely,
    Billie & Lynda

Hotwheels, some people who have "incomplete" spinal cord injuries have posted that they have been accepted for the surgery. For example,
    http://carecure.org/forum/showpost.p...35&postcount=1

I have posted many detailed answers to frequently asked questions about olfactory ensheathing glia (OEG). Here are just some to start reading. And, there are hundreds of posts from people who have experienced the procedures.
    • Frequently asked questions concerning OEG
    http://carecure.org/forum/showpost.p...82&postcount=1
    • Comment on therapeutic mechanisms of OEG transplants
    http://carecure.org/forum/showpost.p...00&postcount=9
    • Scar tissue formation in injured spinal cords
    http://carecure.org/forum/showpost.p...29&postcount=8

Wise.

Thanks Wise, i found all the info i was looking for. It's a great asset to see a site where so many people from around the world, working together for a common goal. If only all the researchers and doctors did the same.
    Thanks again

Wheels

Lightbulb Billie & Lynda, you read alot of posts;)

First off, i am sorry for your friend. On another note, i am happy to hear she is cancer free!!! You can e-mail Dr. Lima and see what he thinks if this is her wish. Remember i am not advising anyone to have this surgery done until it is improved upon... She would need recent MRI's and the green light to go after his evalution of them. Yes, i simply got on a plane and Dr. Lima took care of all of the tests after i got there. Also, please do not forget that it will cost you 35,000 dollars plus expenses, please have her ask Dr. Lima if it would help her before making this decision. Good luck and i hope all goes well. If you do go, please let us know and their food it awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndarella
    I read your post about your trip to Dr. Lima in Portugal. My name is Billie Wasmer and my dear friend and neighbor Lynda has a daughter, Lilianna, who is paralized from the waist down as a result of a cancerous spinal astrocytoma. She is cancer free but still paralized. Lynda saw the CBS special about Dr. Lima and is interested in any information you can give us. How do you go about getting in touch with Dr. Lima. What did you need to go there, did you just go with your medical records and thats it?

Please help us with any information you can give us!

Sincerely,
    Billie & Lynda
    Godspeed~
    Susan
    www.sciwalker.com