Thread: The Fletcher inclined bed study...my monthly report

The Fletcher inclined bed study...my monthly report

Well, we had to try it. Here are our results of June's Andrew K Fletcher's 'Just try it, it's FREE!' therapy.

Week one:
    After considerable wrestling with our king size bed with me in my wheelchair and my 5'1" 110 lb. girlfriend, we ended up in the hospital emergency room, she had a broken toenail due to the bed dropping on her foot, and I needed a checkup due to some horrible bruising on the top of my foot when it got caught under the bed frame/wheelchair foot rest when it dropped (something about beds needing to be on solid level surfaces was not heeded by us, we should have purchased the 'Naturesway Sleep System' from Andrew K. Fletcher so we would have a bed that is suitable for this free no cost therapy). Anyway, after getting back from the hospital and all the doctors chuckling about what got us there, we proceeded to use the bed with it tilted akin to something you would see on the 1960's Batman shows. We noticed no improvements in my paralysis during this week.

Week two:
    We started this week out with another trip to the hospital to check if I had fractured my hip or not during a fall while transfering onto the now crooked bed. My gf noted in our log to document the amazing results of trying this no cost, free therapy that she was having difficulty sleeping with the bed tilted as such. Other than these two incidents, nothing new to report. My paralysis is the same.

Week three:
    I noticed that some skin breakdown is starting to occur on my hips from the shearing caused from the bed being tilted. After a trip to the Dr.'s office to see what we could do about this, he recommended that we stop the no cost, free therapy, but as he was obviously one of those Doubting Thomas' of the intrenched medical profession, we chose to ignore his warnings as we were promised amazing results from this no cost free therapy. My paralysis has not changed at this point either.

Week four:
    At the end of this week, much of the same reports in our log book of amazing results, mostly about various aches and pains from the non-level sleeping surfaces, and notes about the growth of the red spots where my skin is getting sheared from the angled bed. One item to note was of my left leg swelling from being below the rest of my body for several weeks. I attribute this as a fluke however, it doesnt know that I am expecting amazing results from this therapy, therefore the DVT that is going on with it should be ignored. My paralysis is still unchanged.

To summarize this month as I write this account from the ICU at the hospital (I fell again when transferring onto the crooked bed again, this time I await surgury to repair my fractured C5 vertibre), nothing really amazing has transpired in relation to my paralysis. An amazing result might have occured due to the use of this bed however if I had fell harder this last time, but there was no damage to my spinal cord this time. The gf is threating to leave me as she is getting really cranky due to her lack of sleep from the angle the bed is at, but I attribute this to her lack of belief that we should be getting amazing results from this no cost free therapy. I expect that maybe next month I will be walking again from the use of Andrew K Fletcher's It's Free! therapy.

End of report.

Andy,

I laughed so hard I peed my pants - really something considering I cath. Not laughing at your injuries just your manner of speaking. Please no more tilted bed.

Deb

Andy
    The sad thing here is that you clearly do not have the interests of this forum at heart.

Judging by the quoted post below and its date and many others posted by you in June, when you were allegedly trying this therapy and by all accounts seeing if the world is flat.You will obviously stop at nothing to discourage people from trying these methods. Why is this?

But, if it keeps you happy being the forum jester so be it. I will definately have the last laugh and will enjoy hearing even you say that this therapy actually works with spinal cord injuries!

Originally posted by *Andy*[img]http:
    //carecure.org/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]osted Jun 25, 2003 04:40 PM

ROTFLMAO! I bet I can get two people to say that that the earth is flat, then we can revise all the published literature about it being round too. Hey Fletch, you have any people that believe the world is flat? (Maybe you can find some amongst the supporters (if any) of your dumping sewage on coastlines theory?)
    "Go With The Flow"

Oh Andrew Andrew, since you are quoting stuff I wrote in other threads...might I direct your attention to one of yours...

Originally posted by Andrew K Fletcher:

And what happened to free speech?
    So if the results of your 'study' don't agree with what you think they should be they should be supressed or ignored? If you cant stand the heat, stay out of the fire my son. Oh yeah, as far as you getting the last laugh when it comes to you curing SCI, it really depends, what color is the sky on the planet you are on?

Love,

Andy

Have you ever noticed that most of the complaints regarding free speech and censorship come from members outside of the United States? Hmmmm...

I really don't know why my dad spends his time trying to help people when all he gets is negativity, insults, slander, flamed, ridiculed... all hes trying to do is help people .. he aint selling nothing .. i think a little recognition is all he is after.. yeah free speech and all that bull .. whatever floats your boat i guess ..

i admire my dads patience to put up with people such as yourself.. i know he will get there in the end..
    I've seen miraculous things with my own eyes .. but i aint going to preech as u will all think he has put me up to this
    I am currently backpacking through australia and thought id see what my dad was up 2 by putting his name into google...
    i see little has changed .. still banging his head up against the wall with ignorant people.. 1 day my dad will get the recognition he deserves mark my words!

not many people come up with new ideas these days and move in an original path and be inventive .. i can understand why they only improve ideas that are alrdy around.. why are people so blinkered?

dad don't waste your breath on people like this .. keep on pushing .. never give up.. i believe in you

love Jason

Hi Jason,

This thread is almost 6 years old (07/04/03) so your writing "i see little has changed" should be gauged in this context.

Andy gave your Dad's idea a try and reported his findings- with a little humor.

Skin shear is a direct result of sleeping on an inclined surface and a great concern to those of who are SCI'd. I can only sleep on my sides so need to give the skin (the very thin and already compromised skin) over my hip bones every advantage possible. I'm just a couple hours of over-sleeping away from a pressure sore on both of my hips. Thank goodness for insomnia!

I appreciate you stepping up for your Dad. I know he is a well-meaning man and his intentions laudable.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your backpacking adventure down there in Australia.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

yep so i see my mistake .. thats what i get for for sticking my oar in!
    aint rlly got time to go over the fine details from a net cafe!
    yeah my dad tries but bangs his head up against the wall most days .. i'd have given up by now

anyway whoops again my bad!
    Last edited by Wilfy; 05-14-2009 at 04:30 AM. Reason: want to add some stuff

Flat bed rest vs Inclined bedrest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3D7tBQfCxQ Inclined Therapy Video

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark View Post
    Hi Jason,

This thread is almost 6 years old (07/04/03) so your writing "i see little has changed" should be gauged in this context.

Andy gave your Dad's idea a try and reported his findings- with a little humor.

Skin shear is a direct result of sleeping on an inclined surface and a great concern to those of who are SCI'd. I can only sleep on my sides so need to give the skin (the very thin and already compromised skin) over my hip bones every advantage possible. I'm just a couple hours of over-sleeping away from a pressure sore on both of my hips. Thank goodness for insomnia!

I appreciate you stepping up for your Dad. I know he is a well-meaning man and his intentions laudable.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your backpacking adventure down there in Australia.

Bob.
    ANDY Never tried tilting his bed! He would rather adhere to his flat unproven bed and slate my research in blind ignorance.

Jason:
    Thank you Jason although you should not waste your time here.

For those who are still blindly defending their flat beds, the following publication should hlep you see more clearly.
    Bed rest: a potentially harmful treatment needing more careful
    evaluation

Chris Allen, Paul Glasziou, Chris Del Mar
    http://www.mnworkability.com/article...es/Bedrest.pdf
    Ideas about bed rest seem so entrenched that medical
    practice has been slow to change—even when faced with
    evidence of ineffectiveness. For example, a study of
    protocols used after spinal puncture in 1998 found that
    more than 80% of neurological units in the UK still
    insist on bed rest" despite evidence from 17 years earlier
    that bed rest has no value." There are also reports that
    bed rest is still being over-prescribed after myocardial
    infarction and cardiac catheterisation, and for acute low
    back pain."-"
    Bed rest after myocardial infarction was prescribed on
    the basis of theoretical evidence of the supposed
    workload put on the heart, and circumstantial evidence
    on the appearance of old and new infarcts."" The value
    of bed rest was questioned in 1938 because during the
    2 months of forced bed rest more patients died of
    pulmonary infarction, uraemia, and pneumonia than of
    cardiac complications." Despite recommendations in
    1944 for the period of bed rest to be cut to 2 weeks,'"
    6 years later standard clinical practice still prescribed
    4 weeks or more of bed rest.'' Since that time; largescale
    clinical trials have shown that bed rest is
    unnecessary,'"''^'''' and one showed that there is
    significant danger associated with hospital bed rest after
    myocardial infarction.™ In current clinical practice" only
    12 h of bed rest is prescibed, with ambuiation in the
    ward by day 3.
    Rest is often imposed by symptoms (mainly weakness)
    rather than the physician, and in that case there is little
    choice. We have to distinguish the use of bed rest in the
    management of those symptoms (palliation) from its use
    to speed recovery (prescribed treatment). Perhaps the
    patient is the best judge of the amount of rest required.
    Advice given in 1944 seems curiously apt today, "The
    physician must always consider complete bed rest as a
    highly unphysiologic and definitely hazardous form of
    therapy, to be ordered only for specific indications and
    discontinued as early as possible".* The indications for
    which bed rest should be prescribed, and for how long,
    are yet to be defined.
    Contributors
    Chris Allen did the searches, assembled and analysed the tables, and
    wrote the first draft. Paul Glasziou was responsible for the idea and
    extracted and analysed the data for the tables. Chris Del Mar concieved
    the idea and wrote subsequent drafts.
    Last edited by Andrew K Fletcher; 12-24-2009 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Added link to video for those who are not familiar with my research
    Find us on Facebook using inclined bed therapy as a search term.

Cheryl's progress using Inclined Bed Therapy

From Facebook
    Cheryl Rodriquez
    Thanks for "inclined bed therapy". After 16yrs of sitting in a wheelchair, I'm getting leg braces and will be training to WALK again!

Yesterday at 03:23 ·

• Andrew K Fletcher Cheryl that's fantastic news, congratulations and best wishes for the future Cheryl has a spinal cord injury and has been sleeping on an inclined bed for several years now.16 hours ago ·
      • Cheryl Rodriquez I knew that you were right from the beginning about Inclined Bed Therapy. Everything did get better for me, more movement then ever before and things are working properly now, like they should.8 hours ago ·
      • Cheryl Rodriquez Thank You Andrew!
      • Andrew K Fletcher Tears in my eyes Thank you

Find us on Facebook using inclined bed therapy as a search term.