Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Procedure Repairs Severed Nerves in Minutes, Restoring Limb Use in Days or Weeks

"Understanding and treating injuries and diseases that affect the brain and the spinal cord are the final frontier in medicine – and that’s where Molly Shoichet is concentrating her research explorations."
    "One of Shoichet’s goals is to create devices that help stimulate the body’s existing stem cells to repair tissue damaged by stroke or traumatic injury." (http://www.chrcrm.org/en/rotm/prof-molly-shoichet)
    "We have several ongoing studies with HAMC (biopolymer blend of hyaluronan and methylcellulose) for both local delivery to the spinal cord and brain; and stem cell delivery to the spinal cord, brain and retina. We are optimistic about HAMC and have patented the composition of matter and its use in several different contexts. We are actively seeking commercialization partners (in collaboration with MaRS Innovation) so that we can realize the potential that HAMC has for use in diseases and disorders of the central nervous system." (http://www.cc-crs.com/shoichet.htm).

jsilver, your thoughts about Prof. Molly Shoichet's research activity would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by kivi66 View Post
    "Understanding and treating injuries and diseases that affect the brain and the spinal cord are the final frontier in medicine – and that’s where Molly Shoichet is concentrating her research explorations."
    "One of Shoichet’s goals is to create devices that help stimulate the body’s existing stem cells to repair tissue damaged by stroke or traumatic injury." (http://www.chrcrm.org/en/rotm/prof-molly-shoichet)
    "We have several ongoing studies with HAMC (biopolymer blend of hyaluronan and methylcellulose) for both local delivery to the spinal cord and brain; and stem cell delivery to the spinal cord, brain and retina. We are optimistic about HAMC and have patented the composition of matter and its use in several different contexts. We are actively seeking commercialization partners (in collaboration with MaRS Innovation) so that we can realize the potential that HAMC has for use in diseases and disorders of the central nervous system." (http://www.cc-crs.com/shoichet.htm).

jsilver, your thoughts about Prof. Molly Shoichet's research activity would be appreciated.
    OK, considering your dislike to "speculate broadly", I specify the query: 1)how closely Choichet's body's existing stem cells research connected with Anderson-Cummings's findings? and 2)whether effect of PEG-FGF2 application has something in common with chondroitinase administration?

I am not familiar with the particular types of stem cell that Molly is using but she is focusing on delivery systems that appear to be necessary to support the survival of the cells that she is injecting. The Anderson-Cummings cells survive just fine after injection and they want the cells to disperse to areas of demyelination rather than constraining them within a scaffold. There are a wide variety of scaffold/biopolymer labs around the world and the Shoichet lab is among the finest. However, it should be noted that biopolymers appear to manifest their most profound effects at acute stages after injury. I know of no credible evidence that by themselves such scaffold materials function to promote regeneration at chronic stages. The use of FGF is interesting and, indeed, my lab has used FGF as part of a combinatorial strategy along with ch'ase and peripheral nerve autografts to bridge a complete lesion of the spinal cord at acute stages. FGF appears to work by stimulating axons to grow straight rather that in a branching pattern which is the typical effect of most other trophic molecules such as NGF, BDNF or NT3. FGF also causes reactive astrocytes to adopt a more bipolar shape and may help align cells in the scar which, in turn, may foster better axon growth across a lesion. FGF works synergistically with ch'ase but does not act in the same as the enzyme does at all. The Henrich Cheng clinical trial is using just FGF in fibrin, with some modest success.

Quote Originally Posted by jsilver View Post
    I am not familiar with the particular types of stem cell that Molly is using but she is focusing on delivery systems that appear to be necessary to support the survival of the cells that she is injecting. The Anderson-Cummings cells survive just fine after injection and they want the cells to disperse to areas of demyelination rather than constraining them within a scaffold. There are a wide variety of scaffold/biopolymer labs around the world and the Shoichet lab is among the finest. However, it should be noted that biopolymers appear to manifest their most profound effects at acute stages after injury. I know of no credible evidence that by themselves such scaffold materials function to promote regeneration at chronic stages. The use of FGF is interesting and, indeed, my lab has used FGF as part of a combinatorial strategy along with ch'ase and peripheral nerve autografts to bridge a complete lesion of the spinal cord at acute stages. FGF appears to work by stimulating axons to grow straight rather that in a branching pattern which is the typical effect of most other trophic molecules such as NGF, BDNF or NT3. FGF also causes reactive astrocytes to adopt a more bipolar shape and may help align cells in the scar which, in turn, may foster better axon growth across a lesion. FGF works synergistically with ch'ase but does not act in the same as the enzyme does at all. The Henrich Cheng clinical trial is using just FGF in fibrin, with some modest success.
    Dr.Silver, thanks a lot for polite and comprehensive reply.

Quote Originally Posted by cljanney View Post
    I would love to read the original research papers. If anyone has access, please forward it to me.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...657602A.d03t04

Thanks for posting patecatl!
    Here you go- It's peripheral nerves, so not so exciting...

Dr.Silver, you are not familiar with Molly's stem cell because she keeps it in secret or you have not inquired? And, according to the articles, she is focusing not only on delivery system for derived cells, but working also on possibility to revive dormant existing in the spinal cord stem cells and force them to recreate disrupted circuits. Elaborate on this, please.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.zapp View Post
    Here you go- It's peripheral nerves, so not so exciting...
    Thanks Dr Zapp!

My injury is a Brachial Plexus Injury (chest, shoulder, arm, hand paralysis) with nerve root avulsions (which puts it into the SCI category).

So I'm always skirting both sides of the research table (peripheral nerve & SCI).

Thanks!
    Chris

Dr.Silver, you are not familiar with Molly's stem cell because she keeps it in secret or you have not inquired? And, according to the articles, she is focusing not only on delivery system for derived cells, but working also on possibility to revive dormant existing in the spinal cord stem cells and force them to recreate disrupted circuits. Elaborate on this, please.
    OK, I narrow the inquiry. Do you think the harnessing and triggering the spinal cord self-reassembling mechanism based on triggering and harnessing resident stem cells is a matter of distant future and thus has no practical interest for nowadays?

OK, I narrow the inquiry. Do you think the harnessing and triggering the spinal cord self-reassembling mechanism based on triggering and harnessing resident stem cells is a matter of distant future and thus has no practical interest for nowadays?
    Dr.Silver, for 30 years of being researcher you've definitely perfectly mastered the skill "solemn silence regimen keeper" and you definitely "fully understand the issues involved with chronic injury", so, well, come on, amaze us, do make a difference not only for rats but for pigs too. Against a background of Wise-Doctor's dance with a tambourine your performance may be a great success. Indeed.