Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to new caster wheels - where to order?

Need to new caster wheels - where to order?

The caster wheels on my son's chair have worn out. Is there a good place to order online? I figure that's a less expensive option that going through the DME provider.

They are 4" casters. Here's a picture.

Many thanks
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

Blog Entries
    I have a pair that was used for about a month that you can have for $30. They are Frog Legs just like yours. My new chair came with 4", but I needed 5". PM me if interested.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Sportaid is the place you want if you dont want to take up Donno's offer

http://www.sportaid.com/wheelchairs/...chair-casters/

May take you up on that Donno.

Looked at the Sportaid site.

Question: What's the pros/cons of aluminum vs. lexan for the Frog Legs casters? Price is about double for aluminum. Not sure about wear/tear.

Looking at the 5" wheels now -- that's what's on his old/backup chair and they seem to rolls pretty smooth.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

I just (noon today) put 5x1.4 FL aluminum SRs (from Sportaid) on my chair. My previous were 6" TiLite billet aluminum hub SRs. I like the FLs better so far. They are much lighter, so I can keep my forks looser, and the casters don't shimmy. Regarding composite vs aluminum, I just feel more secure on aluminum - don't know why for sure.

PS: I swap out stock bearings to Bones, which roll much better.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 02-07-2012 at 10:31 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsLucy View Post
    May take you up on that Donno.

Looked at the Sportaid site.

Question: What's the pros/cons of aluminum vs. lexan for the Frog Legs casters? Price is about double for aluminum. Not sure about wear/tear.

Looking at the 5" wheels now -- that's what's on his old/backup chair and they seem to rolls pretty smooth.
    I also have a pair of 5", but they are yellow tires with the aluminum hubs, and have used them for about a year...
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

At the Anaheim Abilities Expo a few years ago (the last time they had it in Anaheim) I bought a pair of FLAHSR casters and my friend got a pair of the FLCHSR (Lexan) casters. My FLAHSR casters are running strong, and her Lexan casters broke a few months after she got them. I told her to exchange them with FL, but I don't think she ever did. I later bought a pair of red anodized FLAHSR casters and am thinking about giving her my old set, but don't want to get rid of my back up casters...
    FLAHSR casters are the only thing I will run on my chair now. I ran stock casters from TiLite for all of about 3 weeks when I first got my chair, and I took a chunk of rubber off the caster in no time at all. Knowing I was going to the Abilities Expo I went to my local Sport Chalet and bought a pair of Razor Scooter wheels to put on my chair until I could get some FLAHSRs at the Expo price. I rolled from Disneyland (I have free parking as an annual pass holder) to the convention center and heard every crack in the sidewalk and every bump in the ground and when I rolled back to Disneyland from the convention center it was as quiet as it could get...I love being able to sneak around in my chair!
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!

I just ordered FL aluminum casters with the suspension forks. I'm stoked :-) !

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    I just (noon today) put 5x1.4 FL aluminum SRs (from Sportaid) on my chair. My previous were 6" TiLite billet aluminum hub SRs. I like the FLs better so far. They are much lighter, so I can keep my forks looser, and the casters don't shimmy. Regarding composite vs aluminum, I just feel more secure on aluminum - don't know why for sure.

PS: I swap out stock bearings to Bones, which roll much better.
    I think everyone should try ceramic skateboard bearings for thier front casters. no rust. long lasting rolls smoth. bones bearings are good but not as good as some others. go with abec 7 or higher. nice smothe rolling.

here's a good link for bearings http://shop.ccs.com/searchresults/?N=780+476&cm=Skate
    Last edited by randomryan007; 02-08-2012 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by randomryan007 View Post
    I think everyone should try ceramic skateboard bearings for thier front casters. no rust. long lasting rolls smoth. bones bearings are good but not as good as some others. go with abec 7 or higher. nice smothe rolling.

here's a good link for bearings http://shop.ccs.com/searchresults/?N=780+476&cm=Skate
    I had no idea the ceramic bearings cost that much, how often should we change out our bearings in our casters?