Thread: On being fixed...

On being fixed...

Word(s) used and its defining state when its personal. FIXED

http://www.eksobionics.com/blog/2012...m-not-broken/

A topic for which is commonly a pondering thought in how we live within our prognosis. What's your truth?

Very bold comments made that will offend many here I am sure, some may need to hear, and others will relate to..as I did.."It’s a fine art of holding on to the desire for walking without feeling broken, while moving on with paralysis without hating it. Because if you hate it, then it’s pretty hard to not essentially hate your life. Or yourself" .I didn't like that it essentially was a blog that was tied to/used to advertise a product...

nice to see you Liz
    Last edited by sherocksandsherolls; 02-06-2012 at 09:08 PM.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Excellent post ! I encourage everyone to read it.

Good job!

I have to admit that is an excellent article.

I never saw myself as broken but injured.

Gary Karp has nailed some very good points in that short article.

As quoted from the article, "
    The attitude is “When you’ve got something that will make a difference for me, let me know. In the meantime, I’m out here doing my thing.”"

A must read for many who come to this site.

Give this one a five star rating!

Ti
    Last edited by titanium4motion; 02-06-2012 at 08:28 PM.
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

"I didn't like that it essentially was a blog that was used to advertise a product..."

Hello Sherocksandrolls...product endorsements are void without testimonial input; given that, this topic incites an in depth question and relation on how we can reverse-educate numerous perspectives, including my own.

For example: Why is being FIXED wildly acceptable for cosmetic enhancement, and questionable when applied towards physical mobility as controversial as wearable robotics assistive device(s)?

As I progressively improve in time, I know that I'm not isolated in being curious to what's the next mobility resource I can test in relation to my current physical state. No matter how well I feel and sense my improvements, this question is ALWAYS asked, "with all your physical therapies, and mobility experiments, why aren't you walking yet?" The underlying statement is,"when will you be fixed?"

The "fixing" that I am enjoying is maximizing a device's capability towards further development of physical movement. Not entirely focused for walking as the end-all outcome, but rather, through assisting as my body positions as I re-learn and re-gain balance, coordination, and endurance. Having my lower limbs sustained in a natural posture alignment engages my upper limbs, internal organs in appropriate placement with lessen concentrated effort. Re-establishing physical connections is the task of mobility, movement devices. As results become viable, my living conditions are improving.

Gary Karp is spot on, “The attitude is “When you’ve got something that will make a difference for me, let me know. In the meantime, I’m out here doing my thing.”

For me, these are the elements for longevity living with post SCI. As I expressed "reverse-educate" its an imperative platform for our experiential input as a vital resource for science, policy, education, and economic arenas. We are actively engaged (thankful for internet access,peer support), and we are poised to articulate our explorations, discoveries, and enthusiasm, unlike pre-measured data from "lab rats!" Who here is doing the fixing?

Its a "work in progress" as master curator of “Self.”

best of times... Liz
    Last edited by LizZenU; 02-06-2012 at 11:08 PM.

An excellent read. And a great message

Quote Originally Posted by LizZenU View Post
    Word(s) used and its defining state when its personal. FIXED

http://www.eksobionics.com/blog/2012...;m-not-broken/

A topic for which is commonly a pondering thought in how we live within our prognosis. What's your truth?
    "...most people eventually get to “Well, I’d better get out there and live all the life I can, because waiting around for a cure isn’t doing me much good.” "

I came to that a long long time ago. But I constantly meet people who want to tell me about getting better, what I am doing to get better, have I heard of this or that etc.

I'm living my life. Doesn't that occur to people. I stopped even going in for doctor's visits years ago. My life works, I've found ways. This is who I am. My disability isn't through SCI but directly from an area of the brain itself. A couple of years ago I hear about some experimental surgery and yeah, I'm interested and and I have things settled down a bit and have the time and energy, I am interested in checking that information out again but -

Drugs have side-effects and I've learned that the hard way. I can't imagine brain surgery is without risk. What am I willing to lose? My life works mostly. There are new drugs coming out all the time it seems but I rememer Bextra .. I think that was it's name. Doc gave me a bottle, I didn't like it and didn't use it. A few months later it's recalled because people are dying from it. I've taken anti-seizure, neuro pain meds, muscle relaxants .. you know what? I'm okay. I take less medication now that I ever have. I keep finding better ways to live and that includes improving my wheelchairs like my interest in the Icon.

I'm not broken, I just don't work right. My life works better than lot's of able-bodied folks. That's taken me work and the support of lot's of people. I don't wake up every morning wanting to be fixed, maybe I do wake up sometime thinking I wish it was easier but for the most part I just go on with my day, my way. I'm not broken and I wish people would stop looking at me like I am and they expect me to dedicate my entire life to being fixed. Too busy kissing my girlfriend, sailing boats and hitting the gym :-)

btw I forgot to thank you for the article, thanks :-)
    Last edited by grommet; 02-06-2012 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    I have to admit that is an excellent article.

I never saw myself as broken but injured.

Gary Karp has nailed some very good points in that short article.

As quoted from the article, "
    The attitude is “When you’ve got something that will make a difference for me, let me know. In the meantime, I’m out here doing my thing.”"

A must read for many who come to this site.

Give this one a five star rating!

Ti
    titanium4motion

When seasons of shock, novelty, and helplessness weathers time, our emergence forcefully takes guessing aside when topics like this flares up. Its awesome in shaking "fixed" mindsets, because we continue to deconstruct their impressions upon us.

Thank you for your input...Liz

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    I'm not broken, I just don't work right. My life works better than lot's of able-bodied folks.

Love your statement! Minus the "I just don't work right." Grommet, you're living in optimal "righteousness" because of your conclusive statement, "My life works better than lot's of abled-bodied folks."

Thank you for your truth...Liz