Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seasteading & Clinical Trials?

Seasteading & Clinical Trials?

Could biotechs of the future look to offshore pre-clinical and clinical studies like this?

Silicon Valley billionaire funding creation of artificial libertarian islands

Pay Pal founder and early Facebook investor Peter Thiel has given $1.25 million to an initiative to create floating libertarian countries in international waters, according to a profile of the billionaire in Details magazine.
    Thiel has been a big backer of the Seasteading Institute, which seeks to build sovereign nations on oil rig-like platforms to occupy waters beyond the reach of law-of-the-sea treaties. The idea is for these countries to start from scratch--free from the laws, regulations, and moral codes of any existing place. Details says the experiment would be "a kind of floating petri dish for implementing policies that libertarians, stymied by indifference at the voting booths, have been unable to advance: no welfare, looser building codes, no minimum wage, and few restrictions on weapons."

Read full article here...

It might be impossibly radical but hey, worth a discussion on a Sunday afternoon

WaterWorld for a Cure?

(KLD)

Jach Welch, of General Electric fame, floated an idea somewhat like this back in the 90s. Although, his goal was to get around labor laws and unions and get the cheapest labor possible.

The ocean is the next frontier and outer space is next in line after that.

Some people say the FDA is not a problem... well the history of the AIDS movements proves that the FDA was a problem for them and they forced the FDA to change.
    Unfortunatly the SCI community is way smaller than the AIDS community so I think it is unlikely we can workout things with the FDA as quicly as the AIDS mvement did, so I am 100% in favor of moving out of the FDA regulatory envronment.

We have to do things according to scienze, that is what really matters, not regulations.

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Even with the FDA's strict rules, many medications are recalled after they have been approved.

Here is a little idea for all to think about. There is a White house website for people to petition the government. https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petition...popular/0/2/0/
    There is a doubt however, whether they listen to people. Anyway, we could create a petition that would allow for people with SCI, researchers, and doctors to bypass the FDA and proceed with “special cases” trials.
    Few things to consider:
    1. To get many people to support the petition, it should include as many debilitating incurable conditions and fatal illnesses as possible.
    2. There should be not conflict of interest: all of trials should be voluntary and paid by researcher, or third party donors, and not the patient.
    3. Only those patients are accepted who are willing to bear responsibility for all of the consequences. And they must prove that they or their sponsor can bear the financial burden if a trial goes wrong, so the government or taxpayers are not on the hook financially.

If anyone is up to it, and want to write such a petition --you have my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by lepups3 View Post
    Even with the FDA's strict rules, many medications are recalled after they have been approved.
    The only way to eliminate risk is to stop developing new therapies.

Please, if you have time, read the following link paying particular attention at how the AIDS movement changed the existing FDA rules.

http://www.fastercures.org/documents...asicsFinal.pdf

It may take a while to down load the PDF

In case it does not work refer to this link.

http://www.fastercures.org/index.cfm...alyzing_Change

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Some people say the FDA is not a problem... well the history of the AIDS movements proves that the FDA was a problem for them and they forced the FDA to change.
    Unfortunatly the SCI community is way smaller than the AIDS community so I think it is unlikely we can workout things with the FDA as quicly as the AIDS mvement did, so I am 100% in favor of moving out of the FDA regulatory envronment.

We have to do things according to scienze, that is what really matters, not regulations.

Paolo
    Paolo,

The SCI Community is larger than the AIDS community was in the 1980's when they convinced the FDA to create a new category of drug approval called "compassionate use". By the way, that category is still in existence and can be used for treatments of spinal cord injury, as long as you can show that there is no other therapy that works. The AIDS community, to my knowledge, never advocated circumventing the FDA. They worked with the FDA, NIH, and industry.

Wise.

Regulations came about not for fun. They came about because people and communities would get exploited or injured by greedy and selfish wealthy individuals and or corporations!! Stop talking about crap bullshit kooky ideas about oil platform type Islands and concentrate on real issues. IF, and I mean IF a super wealthy person wants to waste good money on a stupid idea like that, then that's a reflection on them, not the laws in any certain country they choose to winge about..

PS. If any of you think that this would be a good idea I challenge you to go and work out there and see how well you would be treated.

These ideas are only ever floated by super rich people who resent having to pay their fare share of tax!!

Malthouse, who are you directing all of that to ?