Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for propping car door open?

Ideas for propping car door open?

I wasn't sure where to post this but, does anyone have a solution for keeping a car door open when parked uphill?

When I'm trying to transfer in or out the darn door keeps closing on me and I am wondering if I can use a wedge of wood or something to put inbetween the door and car to prop it open.

Has anyone figured this out? I live where there are lot's of hills and the door closing on me is a real problem.

Help please :-)

If you use a wooden wedge, best to put a piece of rubber on it so it doesn't slip. An old inner-tube would do.

I've got lot's of innertube around, thanks for the tip, I wouldn't have thought of that. I wonder about the wedge though, how large I should make it or if I should put some grooves in it. K.I.S.S., a big wedge with innertube on either side, that might do it. How do I attach the innertube to the wood, rubber cement?

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    I wasn't sure where to post this but, does anyone have a solution for keeping a car door open when parked uphill?

When I'm trying to transfer in or out the darn door keeps closing on me and I am wondering if I can use a wedge of wood or something to put inbetween the door and car to prop it open.

Has anyone figured this out? I live where there are lot's of hills and the door closing on me is a real problem.

Help please :-)
    This is very much like living where there is excessive wind (if you're in SF you might have both issues). I always have my chair ready to throw down as soon as I open my door and then it usually holds the door open. Of course, the inside of my door is shredded but what can you do. I also keep a 4ft bamboo rod (light and strong) in my car and use it as a reacher and prop for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    This is very much like living where there is excessive wind (if you're in SF you might have both issues). I always have my chair ready to throw down as soon as I open my door and then it usually holds the door open. Of course, the inside of my door is shredded but what can you do. I also keep a 4ft bamboo rod (light and strong) in my car and use it as a reacher and prop for everything.
    I am in SF. If use my chair to prop the door open I can't lift the chair to put the wheels on or take them off, as soon as I move the chair in comes the door. On the hills it's really tough. I have been thinking that if I can just figure out a wedge that will hold, I can just jam it in between the door and car and I'm all set. I want to try Scott's idea. I would prefer if I could find something already made, like something I could find at a Lowes. I'm sure there's a simple solution I just haven't figured out.
    Last edited by grommet; 02-15-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Rubber cement would work, but a few small brads (tiny nails) or even thumb-tacks to keep the rubber from peeling off. As for size, if you wedge it near the door hinge, take a 2x4 and cut a triangle shaped piece maybe 6-8 inches long. If that fails, try a bigger/smaller piece.

Actually, stores sell rubber door stop (home doors) wedges, but I'm not sure if it would be big enough. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    Rubber cement would work, but a few small brads (tiny nails) or even thumb-tacks to keep the rubber from peeling off. As for size, if you wedge it near the door hinge, take a 2x4 and cut a triangle shaped piece maybe 6-8 inches long. If that fails, try a bigger/smaller piece.

Actually, stores sell rubber door stop (home doors) wedges, but I'm not sure if it would be big enough. Good luck.
    That's what I was thinking about regular door wedges. I'm gonna try your idea. I don't have a piece of 2x4 around but I do have a 4x4 and it might work better because it's a large space to fill when the door is all the way open.

I was gonna say 4x4 but didn't think you'd have one around, thinking a 2x4 would be more readily available. lol

Good luck.

Well, those suggestions seem better than what I do. I wedge my left foot in the door (the weight of the door keeps it there) then transfer to my chair, open the door a bit and take my foot out. Its worked fine for five years...but I am not sure I would recommend it to others
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." - My Grammie

Quote Originally Posted by aidan416 View Post
    Well, those suggestions seem better than what I do. I wedge my left foot in the door (the weight of the door keeps it there) then transfer to my chair, open the door a bit and take my foot out. Its worked fine for five years...but I am not sure I would recommend it to others
    :-)

I took a piece of 4x4 and cut a wedge, covered both sides with two layers of innertube held with rubber cement and brass tacks. I tried it and if I wedge it right it works but I need to cut a couple inches off the point so I can get it further in. I'm sure there's something off the shelf in a hardware store that would do that job but I haven't figured it out yet.