Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hope for spinal injury victims

Hope for spinal injury victims

By Times Group

by IAN LLOYD

health correspondent

http://www.edgwaretimes.co.uk/news/l...ry_victims.php

Spinal cord injuries such as those suffered by actor Christopher Reeve could be repaired, thanks to ground-breaking research at Mill Hill's National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR).

Dr Geoffrey Raisman and his team of eight scientists, at the institute in The Ridgeway, found that severed spinal nerve fibres in adult rats could be reunited with the brain. The discovery resulted in restoration of movements such as climbing, skilled retrieval and the ability to breathe.

"This is the first time anybody has achieved repair of the ability to breath Ñ it is the first time anyone has attempted it," said Dr Raisman.

"This is, after all, the symptom Christopher Reeve says is his main concern. He has said if he could have one thing repaired it would be the ability to breath, because he cannot breath without a ventilator.

"We are expecting this research to come to fruition. We are hoping there will be a limited clinical trial of a small number of patients within the next two or three years in London.

"We have already got the surgeons who will be involved."

The study will bring hope to thousands of people like Reeve, best known for his role as Superman, who are confined to wheelchairs as a result of strokes or accidents.

"I am very excited and very optimistic," said Dr Raisman, who has been working on the project for 30 years. "When I started research, I never expected I would get this far. If this work is successful it will be not only of national, but international importance. This country will clearly lead in this field."

The future of the NIMR is currently in doubt, with the Medical Research Council, which runs the institute, consulting on a possible move to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge by 2010.

If the transfer goes ahead, Dr Raisman said he would have to move his research to the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery in central London.

But he gave his backing to the campaign for the NIMR to stay in Mill Hill.

"The NIMR remains a partner in this work, which it has supported for the last 20 years and for which it is entitled to share in the credit," he said.

"WAKE ME UP WHEN IT'S OVER !!!"

Jeremy

Thank you for posting ths article. It is basically a revision of an earlier post but is still significant.

Psychologically, I really needed this. My spirits have been low as of late. God speed to the good Doctor. I especially like the statement, "This country will clearly lead in this field". Again Jeremy, thank you.

Dr. Young, your thoughts?

Dr Geoffrey Raisman and his team of eight scientists, at the institute in The Ridgeway, found that severed spinal nerve fibres in adult rats could be reunited with the brain. The discovery resulted in restoration of movements such as climbing, skilled retrieval and the ability to breathe.
    Are OEG's being referenced here? If not, is Dr. Raisman involved in two separate research projects?

Originally posted by Jeremy:

By Times Group

by IAN LLOYD

health correspondent

http://www.edgwaretimes.co.uk/news/l...ry_victims.php

Spinal cord injuries such as those suffered by actor Christopher Reeve could be repaired, thanks to ground-breaking research at Mill Hill's National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR).

"This is the first time anybody has achieved repair of the ability to breath Ñ it is the first time anyone has attempted it," said Dr Raisman.
    ITS A BIG bULLSHIT!

Peopla!
    I really don't want to rain at your parade!

Yes, cure will come some sunny day!

But, it will not be what most of us expect!

Those of us who put efforts & money in Kao, Russian trials, Australian, Portugese triatls, etc- ARE MY HEROUS!

Meantime, I got lots of problems with dislocated left hip & left kidney which seems to failing me..........

I've made lots of friends on this & Many other websites...

I will still post relevant articles here...but I got some projects to go on with..

Until its Time....

GOD BLESS YOU all!

Sincerely yours,

Maksim Bily

Later Max.

Hang in there.
    I hope your body starts behaving soon.

Max

Try the Inclined bed for your kidney, "This Will definately help a lot" with renal function! Even if you believe it will do nothing for spinal cord injury, try it in a bid to help you kidney to recover.

Improved renal function has been reported by too many people now for it to be a fluke!Irrespective of their different types of conditions.

Four weeks and you should see an improvement in renal function, may take a little longer to get it confirmed though.

Andrew

"Go With The Flow"

Max,
    So sorry to hear about your health problems.
    I hope you will find the best urologist available. Stay strong. You are such a wonderful reporter of the news.
    Many thoughts and prayers to ease your struggle and things to work out well.
    Lindox

Max,
    I'm sorry to hear of your problems and agree with all you said. Thanks for all of the informative articles you posted in the past !!!

Mike

Hey Max, Thanks, and take care....

I hope you feel better, Max. You're a definite asset to this site and the folks who visit it.