Thread: Neuropathy question

Neuropathy question

It's been 9 years since my injury and I haven't had neuoraphy. I was wondering if I can develop it now after this long because it feels like I may have it around my stomach area and back because it burns? Or could it be from something else?

My neuropathy is pretty wide spread and is increasing

Jeremy, as I understand it, the onset of neuropathy can happen at any time, even years after an injury. If the burning pain in your stomach and back feels like it's inside your body, it could be visceral pain associated with your gallbladder, kidneys, etc. Neuropathy does sometimes manifests as visceral pain, but usually it is a burning sensation whose exact location and depth are hard to pinpoint. If the pain persists, you might want to see a doctor to rule out organic issues.

Yes, discuss it with your doctor. I would recommend taking something like Ibuprofen or naproxen twice a day with food for a week or two-as it might be some strain or someinflammation of the nerves.And if it doesn't go away then you should probably start on Gabapentin or something for neuropathic pain if it bothers you.
    CWO

I'm on Gabepentin...it seem to work well for me

Joe

Mine was always limited to a strip on the insides calves down into my ankle. I lived with it for 15 years with nothing to treat it. At 15 years, it started creeping around and up. Now at 23 years post, it is the worst torture I have ever imagined.

It is above my knees and more intense. I know longer have the little reflex that I once had in my knees either. I am seeking pain management as well as Neurosurgeon and rehabilitative medicine now too.

It can and does change over time. But you need to make sure you don't have a new injury or some disk disease causing it to worsen.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown