Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Permobil Corpus 500

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I had a terrible time demoing a invacare TDX Mid Wheel drive powerchair. No matter how hard I tried to steer around uneven grass, I usually got high centered with my drive wheels and lost traction. Going through any small depression in the yard, the front and rear castors would suspend the drive wheels leaving me stopped and needing a push. Extremely irritating and I could not wait to return it.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 02-05-2012 at 07:32 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

my new c500 is much better than my old one!

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    I had a terrible time demoing a invacare TDX Mid Wheel drive powerchair. No matter how hard I tried to steer around uneven grass, I usually got high centered with my drive wheels and lost traction. Going through any small depression in the yard, the front and rear castors would suspend the drive wheels leaving me stopped and needing a push. Extremely irritating and I could not wait to return it.
    The Permobil M300 has a new suspension system that seems to take care of the issue. I was not able to get it hung up in some serious dips and holes in my back yard. I took dips at all angles and did 2+" curbs and was very surprised at how well it did.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    That's good news. I have a problem with my mid wheel Frontier X-5, the suspension bends in the middle so the tires maintain traction. Unfortunately when I stop quick, the chair abruptly leans forward stranding me on the mid drive wheels and placing all my weight on the front casters. The only way I could move was to struggle and reach back to the joystick and use tilt to tip the seat back and fall down on the 6 wheels. With out a safety belt, I would have been forcefully thrown out of the chair.

Just be carefull stoping quickly at speed. I am happy that the chair is working well for you. Sure adds to locations you can negotiate.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Well I have been using the Corpus 500 for the best part of a week now full-time and I am absolutely over the moon with it. I have got the 10 km an hour version and when you want to get somewhere quickly this is certainly the chair to have. I love the indoor and outdoor speed settings, I normally have it on 4/5 indoor setting when I'm using my chair in doors, and 4/5 when I am outside. I have got the 50° tilt function which is awesome, really gives you excellent pressure relief. I can use my joystick to control all the seat functions and footplate which is really good as it's not easy to control buttons when you are leaving so far back sometimes using the joystick is a doddle.

I have also got the Permolock fitted in my van and that works exceedingly well, although I thought it had malfunctioned yesterday, it actually turned out that one of the little plastic plugs that fit in the bottom of the footplate square tubing had actually come off and got jammed in the bottom of my wheelchair where the little plunger comes down for my Permolock. However, that isn't the fault of the chair, I got such long legs that my foot plates are always fairly close to the ground when I have to tip my chair right forward.

The only criticism I have is where they have positioned the indicators, I don't like them being either side of the speed controls because when you are trying to operate using the side of your finger, is very easy to accidentally put the indicators on. But that is a very small criticism that really doesn't affect every day use of the wheelchair

This is an excellent wheelchair that I would recommend to anyone. The best advice I can give you when buying one, make sure you haggle price, I got mine for £3000 less than I could have paid

M400

I just got a M400 and live on farm and have yet to hung up on the lawn on soft ground, even mud this chair can really go throw a lot. My M400 is replacing a Pride Q6000 I would never buy a anther Pride chair there such a differnce in the chairs the permobile ride so much better.

I've been using my Corpus 500 for a few weeks now and so far so good, I am extremely pleased with it. The Permolock which I have fitted in my van is excellent, although it does take a little bit of getting used to.

However, what I am not happy about are the backpack clips that I also bought with the chair (see picture below) the quality is absolutely atrocious, in fact both of mine have broken already, and this is before I even put a backpack on them. It seems that the vibration alone has literally shaken the springs out of them. The ones in the picture look quite substantial and fairly good quality, the ones that came with the chair are just rubbish. Permobil have got the cheek to charge £17 for these two clips.

The clips above look fairly robust, the ones I got are just cheap rubbish

The only other gripe I have about the chair is that the seat is a little bit creaky. I'm not sure whether this is got anything to do with the seat being designed in several pieces, but it can be a little bit noisy sometimes, I think that they should address this.

But all in all, the chair is very good, extremely comfy and I am very happy I bought it. I will be even happier when they sought these problems out that I have been experiencing.