Thread: What is the difference between myoclonus and clonus?

What is the difference between myoclonus and clonus?

Is it common for it to come on suddenly in someone (spina bifida) who never had it before?

Treatment that doesn't have horrible side effects?
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

From this website:
    http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aid=3630731

The terms clonus (or clonic), myoclonus (or myoclonic), and polymyoclonus have been used indiscriminately to designate rhythmic or arrhythmic series of brief, shock-like muscular contractions associated with disease of the central nervous system.
    Clonus refers to a series of rhythmic, monophasic (i.e., unidirectional) contractions and relaxations of a group of muscles, differing in this way from tremors, which are always diphasic or bidirectional. Clonus is more rhythmic and repetitive.
    Myoclonus specifies the very rapid, shock-like contraction(s) of a group of muscles, irregular in rhythm and amplitude, and, with few exceptions, asynchronous and asymmetrical in distribution; if such contractions occur singly or are repeated in a restricted group of muscles, such as those of an arm or leg, the phenomenon can be designated as segmental myoclonus or myoclonus simplex. Irregular muscle jerks involving groups of muscle.
    Polymyoclonus or Myoclonus Multiples
    Lightning-like, arrhythmic contractions.

Medications (depending on cause of clonus):
    Immunosupressanats like azathiprine and corticosteroids.
    Tranquilizers like Clonazepam.
    Anticonvulsants like primidone and levetiracetam.
    Botox injections blocks the release of chemicals necessary for muscle contractions.

Physical Therapy:
    Stretching and massage

All the best,
    GJ

SCI Nurse - input, please.

I thought myoclonus was fairly rare.

It just seems odd to me that this would surface suddenly.

Can it be a sign of an underlying problem?

How do doctors tell a difference?

Also, urine is backing up into the kidneys at low pressures & low volumes. What could cause this> Bladder surgery done a couple years ago to make cathing easier, but no augmentation at the time.

Input appreciated.
    -- Lucy VanPelt

Over time the bladder develops stiffness usually asit doesn't expand andcontract normally and may have colagen around it. The presure in the bladder goes up or it stiffens and the pressure in the bladder is more than in the kidneys, greater than 35 for most- the kidney can't milk down the urine and over time it is esier for the bladder to go back up the ureters than out the urethra.
    To have this at low volumes is not unusual because of the detrussor overactivity or hyperreflexia trhat is common but the hope is that it never happens or only at very high volumes.
    The treatment goal is to have the bladder hold more and leak only at high volumes and hig pressures. So options are the use of anticholinergics, cathing atleast every four hours and then Botox and cathing then the bladder augmentation that increases the size of the bladder, and usually anticholinergics are continued.With bladder augmentation after bladder is able to hold good volume, the anticholinergics might be decreased and some are able to stop them.
    That is why complex urodynamcis with video imaging is done yearly or every other year -because it is the only test that can check the pressure in the bladder before the problem occurs and begin treatment as soon as possible.
    CWO

Many thanks!

Any thoughts on the myoclonus?
    -- Lucy VanPelt

Here are a couple threas from Care Cure Community with discussions by Dr. Young and nurses:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=67121
    http://128.6.58.251/forum/showthread.php?t=128596

This may be a topic to discuss with a neurologist.

All the best,
    GJ

PL -- I developed myoclonus in my right upper arm a few years back, which I described in this post as ''clonus of the arm''. The muscles in that arm started jumping and twitching uncontrollably out of the blue two-three decades after my cervical and upper thoracic cord was damaged during the surgeries to excise an astrocytoma. My neurologist says it's not uncommon for this to develop years after the initial injury, and that seems to be verified by my experience and that of several others here at CC.

FWIW, the myoclonus in my arm's gotten significantly worse over the last two months. The twitching now happens almost 24/7 and lasts for days and even weeks at a time, leaving the muscles and me exhausted. The 4mg of tizanadine [Zanaflex] that I took before bed to keep the muscles from 'tic-ing' while I sleep is no longer helping, so I'm trying to get an appointment with my neurologist to request a script for requip [the drug that helped znop] in the hope that it will not cause the same severe drowsiness that the tizanadine and Klonopin do.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar