Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Home Elevator

Some history: When I matriculated from Kessler in 95, they gave me a list of elevator suppliers. At my shop (www.philscars.com) I needed a 30" lift to get to the office area. In 1996, I was glibly quoted prices from $8000 to $12000 for a lift in a semi-public area!
    I found a Braun 12v electric/hydraulic from a Ford van for $250 and modified it. I run it off a small car battery with a trickle charger. They and the pump unit are in the basement and a single 5/16 steel tubing runs upstairs to the lift. I am on my second battery in 17 years!
    If anyone is interested I will get and post photos.
    So I knew I didn't want/couldn't have a commercial elevator: they're incredibly expensive; they're incredibly ugly (they look like giant three story refrigerators); and there just barely functional because they're so damn slow and a PITA to operate!
    But I knew about these "dumbwaiters" because i used to get thrown out of the Hainseburg Inn back in the day (before I got sober) for getting into one just like mine and joyriding. (the Hainseburg Inn is now a 4 1/2 story victorian veterinary clinic! A neat old building I expected would burn one day but finally found an owner willing to stand the extraordinary maintenance of a huge white elephant. In the basement there still was an acetylene generator and all the basement gas-light jets)
    I wanted one of those, but how to find? I figured it would require me to resort to the (then new) internet to find something so esoteric, but first I called the elevator listings in the Morris County Yellow Pages.
    Immediately I had a live one!! Two companies, one in Irvington, one in Newark, all Italian elevator men, wanted to help me. They explained that i was looking for a dumbwaiter-they're not just for dishes! That they're not to current building code-that they couldn't install it-but that a lot of mansions in Morris Co, etc, have/had them and often they are called too remove or replace them. They were incredibly helpful and worked so hard to figure out where to get me connected! This one I got for $1200. It was in pieces but all there in a barn in NY.
    We studied the parts that were laying covered with hay, and made a pretty good guess that everything was there (if not, we were fucked!). In the course of a major re-do of this barn-house, my carpenter built the frame of 6x6 pine and somehow got the heavy mechanism to the top. We didn't pull a permit.
    Later, when we were doing permitted stuff, we removed the rope and filled the cab with plants. Figured, if asked, we'd say it was here and we never used it. The question never came up-hallelugia!!
    It's one of the few things I need because I'm hurt, that is truly satisfying-I still get a kick out of joyriding it. Much more fun than pushing a wheelchair up some damn hill!

@pfcs49 seems like great design and engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by POPO367 View Post
    I had a lift installed in my house which was less expensive than your traditional elevator. The contractor made it look like an elevator.
    what kind as I am looking at all options

Keep It Simple Stupid

http://ilcaustralia.org.au/search_category_paths/164
    Enclosed and platform lifts.
    You don't need all the BS that public elevators have if you RTFM.
    These have very simple controls and hold the button to call the lift.
    You must close the door before you can call the floor.
    If it pinches you take your finger off the button.
    http://ilcaustralia.org.au/

Compliance with locl/ State building codes do not necessarily apply to homeowners installation, however, licensed porfessionals must use currently complying equipment and methods to install such items. The homeowner can run into problems when they sell a home with non-compliant internal structural elements. Such items should be contracturally agreed to with the buyer before settling on an agreement. The Compliance officer has nothing to do with private agreements or contractoral agreements, in private homes. He cannot enforce homeowner association agreements. They are according to law beyond his authority. However, he may make notes on his permanently required documentation for that residence of any known agreements for later reference, or as a addendum to the Certificates of occupancy and/or compliance.

Rather complicated but very protective for all involved.

I got an outdoor elevator its great my neigbors have the same my sis got a cargo lift its nice too

31" (3 steps) elevator for free pickup

I have listed a 31" elevator lift in the equipment section for free pickup, N NJ

See here for more info:31" (lift) wheelchair lift free for pick up in north NJ
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Do most of these in-home elevators only span 2 floors or does anyone have one spanning 3 floors? EG: main& 2nd story VS basement, main, & 2nd story

Anyone know how much the cost increases to add a 3rd floor?

I *think* most of the companies are probably able to do this rather easily. Mine reaches 3 levels...basement, main and 2nd story. There was obviously a cost increase, but it wasn't that significant.

Maybe $5K add-on.