Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Home Elevator

Quote Originally Posted by Them Bones View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with those vacuum elevators? I'm glad to see they are offering a wheelchair accessible model finally!
    I priced them out when building our home. They have some good qualities like they only use energy when lifting. Also not many parts to install. The downside is they are very pricey over 30K for one floor.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    I have seen very simple hydraulic ones. With hydraulic if hose breaks speed you fall is limited due to size of hole the fluid must escape from.

The ones where you hold button down to call and for the floor are very simple and do not require the weight of an enclosed car which is really just a platform. If something goes wrong you take your finger off the button. These have manual doors which must be closed before platform will leave floor. They are locked when the platform is not at the floor.

(What if the platform moves off the floor anyway while the door is ajar?)

I have worked a lot in process automation and the simplest things are _always_ the best.
    Last edited by zagam; 12-27-2012 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Even the simplest things can fail if ignorant

So to resurrect this thread...we are edging closer to building. Still not sure if we want a ranch or a 2 story home. We were definitely leaning towards a ranch on a slab, but then we thought we would need a basement for storage. So if we have a basement, I'll want an elevator to access it. So then if we're going to have an elevator anyways, why not make it a 3 stop and build a 2 story? Several builders have told me it's definitely cheaper to build a 2 story. I'd still keep the master bed and bath on the main floor.

For those who have elevators, what is the dimension of your cab? Do you like it or would you change it? And once you enter, is it difficult to close the gate and door behind you?

Quote Originally Posted by tarantella
    For those who have elevators, what is the dimension of your cab? Do you like it or would you change it? And once you enter, is it difficult to close the gate and door behind you?
    I'm not 100% sure but it's about 3' wide and 3.5' long. There are two things I would change. First, I'd have the buttons in the cab backlit. When I get in, I don't even turn on the lights anymore, so I'm sitting in the dark for about 30 sec. Second, I would find an elevator that doesn't require a pit. A pit makes it the lowest part of the house and water seems to find a way in it. I've had to add a sump pump, which solved the problem, but I would have preferred not to worry about it from the start. BTW, closing the gate and door is a piece of cake, can do it with my pinky.

this new forum SUCKS!! posting anything interesting (like a photo) is impossible and once failed, it won't copy and paste my text so it's complete do over time. FUCK you FORUM!!!

PS: my cab is 39.5"Wx40.5"D

PPS: and I'm still pissed off at useless vB5!!

No Title

coached by Ted, I am enabled!!

EDIT
    Sorry for the outburst, but this new vBulletin is terrible!
    Part of what was lost above: the cab is about perfect/minimum size. I can just fit backed straight in, OR park diagonally (nec. for rope pulling-it's a dumbwaiter) which leaves room for a standee.

does anyone see a picture in the above post?? I see it,but this seems to be a problem w/vB5. Is it there in cyberworld?

I see all the photos in the thread above; using a desktop Mac with Firefox browser. What are you using?

(KLD)

I guess it's been visible to general public. An aquarium forum I'm quite active on ( http://www.njagc.net/forum/ ) upgraded to vB5 about the some as SCI did. I can't post pictures from my Mac library to the site. However, if I exit the attempted post, it sure looks like it posted. Anytime I visit my picture/post, it is there, but nobody else can see it! I thought someone would have commented on my post in 28 days if the picture was there, but I guess I'm wrong-probably because traffic on both sites has slowed to a crawl because of our upgrades? If you have any patches/magic formulas for vB5, PLEASE! let's put our heads together. I will PM you Darek's email address. (He is trying to fix our site but is in a little over his head) I love both forums and since vB5 they're almost dead!!