Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: handicap's car

Quote Originally Posted by xtravla View Post
    (whispers) I think they prefer to be called disabled.
    I have to laugh because this reminded me of something that happened a few years ago. There was a charity in my area connected to the fire station that were installing free fire alarms for the disabled and elderly. This guy came around to see me and when he came into my room and saw me, I remember him saying "oh you are handicapped aren't you" Extremely patronising but I still laugh about it now when I hear the word handicapped

Quote Originally Posted by drnader View Post
    I am talking about hand-control modifications for the paraplegics, and how could u get a a driving license?
    Will they do the driving test on your own modified cars, or a special state's car?
    There are also portable hand controls that you can attach to any automatic vehicle. They work well and can be done by yourself in two minutes. They are technically designed to be used for short term, like when renting a car, but that's up to you. Of course a permanently installed control is most comfortable and safe.

I have two sets of these portable hand controls and i love them. I use them on rentals, driving my wifes car, use to use on an off road vehicle, golf cart. They are great.

http://www.allegromedical.com/wheelc...s-p211058.html

Good company for permanent hand controls is MPD, but there are multiple others.
    http://www.mobilityproductsdesign.com/
    Ride It Like You Stole It!

SCI-nurse,
    you said about hand controls that
    "In most states, you can self install. Others require them to be installed by a specially certified technician. Some states require a prescription from an adaptive driving instructor and proof of training, as well as a physician's prescription; others do not."
    What's the situation in NJ?
    I got my handicapped (sorry, disabled...to me handicapped is less insulting than disabled, which sounds a bit like crippled. When you disable something usually it means you put it out of service ) driver licence over 30 years ago. Never had any problem when I changed car and put a new hand control on it, i.e. no need for certification or retraining or whatever. But now, I have been told by some (although not all) vendors that they won't sell or install the system I want on my new car unless I do the above mentioned. Seems a bit like overkill to me. I really don't feel like getting "evaluated" (judged) by some recently graduated youngster who'll to tell me whether I am capable or not to use a hand control. Plus I'll have to pay him out of my pocket for that. What's odd is that I could buy a PHC-3 online and no one will advise me whether I can use or not, even though a portable hand control is probably less safe than a permanent one.
    So is the evaluation of an experienced "disabled" driver (30 years without a single accident) an absolute requirement in NJ or is it something some vendors do to cover their ass in case there is a problem??? or maybe provide job security to the evaluator.
    I'd say than an evaluation and training should be requested for buying an iphone, because those who use it while driving are far more dangerous than any hand control assisted driver.

Thanks beforehand for your feedback

Also, most major automobile manufacturers have mobility programs that are often global. Offering up to US$1,000.00 towards modifications.

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida/Mantoloking NJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    SCI-nurse,
    you said about hand controls that
    "In most states, you can self install. Others require them to be installed by a specially certified technician. Some states require a prescription from an adaptive driving instructor and proof of training, as well as a physician's prescription; others do not."
    What's the situation in NJ?
    I got my handicapped (sorry, disabled...to me handicapped is less insulting than disabled, which sounds a bit like crippled. When you disable something usually it means you put it out of service ) driver licence over 30 years ago. Never had any problem when I changed car and put a new hand control on it, i.e. no need for certification or retraining or whatever. But now, I have been told by some (although not all) vendors that they won't sell or install the system I want on my new car unless I do the above mentioned. Seems a bit like overkill to me. I really don't feel like getting "evaluated" (judged) by some recently graduated youngster who'll to tell me whether I am capable or not to use a hand control. Plus I'll have to pay him out of my pocket for that. What's odd is that I could buy a PHC-3 online and no one will advise me whether I can use or not, even though a portable hand control is probably less safe than a permanent one.
    So is the evaluation of an experienced "disabled" driver (30 years without a single accident) an absolute requirement in NJ or is it something some vendors do to cover their ass in case there is a problem??? or maybe provide job security to the evaluator.
    I'd say than an evaluation and training should be requested for buying an iphone, because those who use it while driving are far more dangerous than any hand control assisted driver.

Thanks beforehand for your feedback
    As highly regulated as N.J is I thought I would turn up something but as far as I can tell there is no manditory evaluation.

Be Big,
    AMAC
    L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteShick View Post
    Also, most major automobile manufacturers have mobility programs that are often global. Offering up to US$1,000.00 towards modifications.
    You can call me anything doesn't effect my life.

I've driven Fords for years and they always kick-in for mods. It's now $1200.00.

I asked ford mobility if I could buy online and they said yes but.......
    It has to put on by a certified installer. They tend to be cranky when you bring the lift you bought elsewhere. Like bringing a T-bone to Morton's and asking them to cook it.

Here's the rub, it's a hitch mounted lift !
    Kinda of a farce but they always send a check.

Be Big,
    AMAC
    L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
    I asked ford mobility if I could buy online and they said yes but.......
    It has to put on by a certified installer. They tend to be cranky when you bring the lift you bought elsewhere. Like bringing a T-bone to Morton's and asking them to cook it.
    Some creative invoicing in Word works wonders getting the $$ on self-installs

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Some creative invoicing in Word works wonders getting the $$ on self-installs
    Now, now Andy I would NEVER even think of such a thing !
    L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc

As far as getting a driving licence it is different from state to state.

My state, Maryland, you must pass a driving test in a vehicle, with hand controls, which you bring to the testing center.

In CA you do not have to be relicensed for hand controls, but we do advise it. From a liability standpoint, if you are in an accident and the other party claims you are not competent to drive, having been relicensed (and tested) is excellent documentation to refute this claim.

In most states, there is information about this on the DMV's website.

(KLD)