Page 1 of 30 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: For those who understand spanish (Dr. Vaquero)

For those who understand spanish (Dr. Vaquero)

muy interesante Kim gracias.

will somebody please translate this...

I mean posting this on a largely English speaking website and then just saying that it's for those that understand spanish... So I guess if one doesn't speak spanish, one is not able to get the information?
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Thank u Kim, the videos are encouraging, I hope he start the trial soonest.

Quote Originally Posted by alipur View Post
    Thank u Kim, the videos are encouraging, I hope he start the trial soonest.

From this quote, I take it there is no actual, concrete start date mentioned
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

They are working hard on that matter.

is the English version of the research presented in the video resumed

The neurosurgeon Jesus Vaquero Puerta de Hierro Hospital will begin to address this year to twelve spinal injuries with stem cells extracted from their bone marrow
    N. RAMIREZ DE CASTRO / MADRID
    Day 14/03/2011 - 5:45 p.m.
    3 COMMENTS

After more than ten years of research in animal models, the professor and neurosurgeon Jesus Vaquero test the regenerative capacity of stem cells from bone marrow in paraplegics. This is a pioneering research that has raised the hopes of people living with spinal cord injury. The project starts by injecting economic Apinme (Association for Research to repair spinal cord) and the Ministry of Health to allow the construction of a new clean room laboratory. It will be isolated and handled stromal stem cells, a special cell type in the bone to be used in treatments.

"The encouraging results in animal experimentation to take the plunge into patients. What has been achieved in animals treated?

"First we tested whether the transplant worked in rats, small animals that allowed us to manipulate with ease. We saw that after treatment, the rats had spinal injury, regained their movement and sensation between the third and fourth month. Inside your body the stem cells are transformed into nerve cells and transplant the same time favoring the natural repair. The rat has an average life expectancy of two years so we were concerned that these 3-4 months required for recovery to become years of waiting in a person. So we started to experiment in pigs, a larger mammal.

- Were the results similar?

"Yes, we reproduced the results obtained in rats. Two months after transplantation, these animals that they had severed the spinal started to regain lost functions. Earned in sensitivity, regained control of his bowels and began to rise and improve their mobility is very noticeable.

- They turned to walk?

"No, they ran, but could walk with splints (prosthesis) in their legs because they lacked some coordination in the movement. In water, the animals easily moved all four extremities. We do not know how it will work in humans, but it would be great if a person moves in a wheelchair could walk with a little help. In addition, we hope that better results are achieved with rehabilitation. Physical therapists working with treated animals, but they do not have the motivation that may have a person with a spinal cord injury.

- Who will be chosen to participate in the trial?

"The selection process is starting. We recruit a dozen people with mass lesions in the dorsal and complete paraplegia. Do not dare to people who still have movement in his hands because we do not want to lose that ability if something goes wrong. Another requirement is that the injury is chronic, you must wait between 6 months and 3 years after the accident. The age limit for participation is 60 and we start with accident victims. Not included in this first phase to people with congenital or for sequelae of viral infections. Before enrolling volunteers to test must also pass a psychological study to be sure that will support a possible failure.

- How will the transplant?

"We will use stem cells are extracted from the patient's hip. Select stromal cells and multiply in the laboratory. There will be a first transplant directly to the site of injury. This intervention we make in the course of surgery. Outside the operating room after inject more cells into the spinal fluid, the fluid that bathes the spinal cord. The treatment is supplemented by rehabilitation and a strict monitoring for one year.

"The United States has a similar trial using embryonic cells Does it make sense to resort to these cells?

"We started working with embryonic cells but abandoned by the ethical and the risk of tumors that had. Must await the results.

If everything goes ok at the end of March trials will start.

sounds great. Good luck to Dr. Vaquero