Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SCI comes to "Downton Abbey

SCI comes to "Downton Abbey

any other Downton Abbey fans out there? That was quite a tearjerker last night. I have mixed feelings about the addition of an SCI into the storyline. My problem with it is that usually writers get the details of sci wrong enough that it detracts from a program's believability. So far, they have been spot on.

my favorite line last night was when Matthew's mother says to herself after Lady Mary's statement that helping Matthew vomit "was nothing" that it was "the exact opposite of nothing".

I wont spoil it for you Wesley but prepare to be enraged.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, since those who sustained SCI in WWI nearly all died within a few days/weeks/months of their injuries, nearly all from sepsis. The lack of any antibiotics at that time caused UTIs, pneumonia, and infected pressure ulcers to be nearly universally fatal.

(KLD)

I'm betting that he will be miraculously cured. It is probably a hysterical SCI or some such since he did not have much more than bruising and no penetrating wounds to his back. Some crap about his guilt for Williams death or an urgent situation with him having to stand to save someone. Either way, I figure he will be able to walk by the end of the next couple of shows.

I thought the same thing that KLD did. These guys did not survive long with a SCI in those days. Even after the invention of antibiotics did very many of these guys survive for long. No one really knew what to do.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

NL and I discussed the same thing about how long he could possibly survive in the era of World War One. In the previews for next week's episode I think there was a brief clip of Lady Mary pushing a wheelchair in the garden.

If Matthew does survive there will probably be some debate as to whether he can inherit Downton Abbey because of the paralysis. Maybe Lady Mary will marry the scoundrel publisher who will then declare the lordship and abbey for himself. Stay tuned!

All the best,
    GJ

I wish they'd skipped this storyline altogether, but Matthew's teary "Mother" when Isobelle came to the hospital just kills me.

I bailed out on DA after season 1. Compared to Upstairs, Downstairs (the original, not last year's revival), DA is watered-down pablum with a British accent. It looks like it should be a great series given the beautiful sets, surrounding and historical setting, but it's just soap opera.

My wife still watches and filled me in on the SCI story line. I agree that Matthew will likely experience some anachronistic recovery or failure to die, which would infuriate me as an informed viewer. I don't plan on watching to find out.

Melanie Reid of the London times commented on this in one of her articles so the outcome is known by some of us. I do love DA but wish this storyline hadn't been introduced. Nearly gagged last night when the doctor told Lord Granthum that Matthew should liive a normal lifespan despite his SCI!

Mary
    C5/6 complete 10/27/2009 MVA

"I'm going to try defying gravity." Elphaba in "Wicked"

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I bailed out on DA after season 1. Compared to Upstairs, Downstairs (the original, not last year's revival), DA is watered-down pablum with a British accent. It looks like it should be a great series given the beautiful sets, surrounding and historical setting, but it's just soap opera.

My wife still watches and filled me in on the SCI story line. I agree that Matthew will likely experience some anachronistic recovery or failure to die, which would infuriate me as an informed viewer. I don't plan on watching to find out.
    I stopped watching after a little while too because I thought Upstairs, Downstairs was much better.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post

I sympathise but Maggie Smith makes it worth watching for me, she's given the best lines.

But I agree with wesley, last night Mathew's mothers response to Mary was great, it stayed with me.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer