Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: damn media

damn media

my freaking sf chronicle makes it sound like this guy willed himself to walk. sigh
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MNFJ1MV70P.DTL
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

"...I chose very powerfully to recover, no matter what the odds."

So did the previous therapies help him or did he decide to just very powerfully recover? I feel like the article skipped the enlightenment phase I seem to be missing...
    "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

Blog Entries
    Shit, I wish that I'd known about willing myself to recover. Why don't they tell us about that in rehab? I'll bet that it's a conspiracy, and that they only tell a select few...
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Stories about how someone recovered because they refused to "let this conquer me" have always upset me. It gives people the wrong impression. My husband's grandmother told me the same story over and over about a friend whose doctors had told her she would never walk again, but she dragged herself around the backyard fence and proved them wrong. One day I was left in bed without a chair, so had to drag myself out of the bedroom to the living room. After watching me drag my legs behind me she never repeated the story.

Another story that broke my heart was a friend whose in-laws refused to move furniture to accommodate her chair trying to force her to "try harder". One day her father-in-law asked her, "When are you going to get up the gumption to walk again?"
    Last edited by 47+years; 01-30-2012 at 11:32 PM. Reason: typo

Donno,
    Didn't you know you just have to believe and work hard enough!

Just after my injury, my mother told NL that she had read a piece in the Reader's Digest about a man in Hawaii, "paralyzed from the waist down" who got up out of his wheelchair and saved his beloved wife from their house that was engulfed in flames. NL and mother have never really gotten on very well and this so incensed NL that she asked my mother, "do you suppose if I set our house on fire that GJ loves me enough to get up and save me?" I've always been surprised that NL didn't deck her right then and there.

All the best,
    GJ

This gets so old. Gee, if only the rest of us had just tried harder.........right!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    Shit, I wish that I'd known about willing myself to recover. Why don't they tell us about that in rehab? I'll bet that it's a conspiracy, and that they only tell a select few...
    They told my roommate in rehab and he walked out unassisted after three months.

The beliefs that many have about paralysis are along the same lines of believing the world is flat and if you go too far you might just fall off. It's actually kind of scary.

What kills me is the first time the writer mentions movement below the guy's injury is the end
    About 100 feet away, Korgan got off his sit-ski, wobbled a bit as Fletcher and Stoup each gave up one ski and pole and affixed them to the feet of their friend. Then with a small crowd watching nearby - more than 150 scientists from the South Pole's Amundsen-Scott research station - Korgan made it to the end, on his own, on his two paralyzed feet, Stoup said.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1l0D3NpJg
    we all know he didnt right then suddenly regain movement and walk but no non sci reading that article would. I was so irritated I went to a gem fair and bought myself some stones for earrings
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    They told my roommate in rehab and he walked out unassisted after three months.

The beliefs that many have about paralysis are along the same lines of believing the world is flat and if you go too far you might just fall off. It's actually kind of scary.
    Maybe more like kind of sick (those who perpetuate the myth of believing more. working harder, trying harder, over coming adversity and all odds).

GJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    I was so irritated I went to a gem fair and bought myself some stones for earrings
    I guess that you showed *them*! Good for you!
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury