Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Round Betty Dino vs. Spinergy LX?

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    this is off topic, but what is the purpose of getting thorn resistant tubes? I've never had a flat. I don't really plan on rolling in to a thorn bush or anything, so why spend the extra money, plus they have got to weigh more.

i was asking about the thorn resistant tubes because with my current setup i got a flat once from rolling around on a deck that had a nail sticking up with no head on it so it was sharp. Luckily it was my tire rather than somebodies foot.
    c6 inc since 2-19-11
    ex pro-am motocross racer
    tilite aero z s2

my dinos came today! black hubs, red spokes. the anodizing looks great, i was getting compliments without even mentioning the wheels. the spokes are thinner than i expected but much thicker than a standard steel spoke.

i ordered direct from roundbetty.com, shipping took a couple of weeks. they arrived completely assembled with the hubs wrapped in bubblewrap. i was expecting plain pushrims but they came with black - not a big deal.

mine are mounted up with marathon plus evo reflex - "reflex" just means that there's a reflective strip on the sides of the tire for better nighttime visibility. they are noticably heavier than my standard invacare/topend stock wheels with gray primos. i'd like to get a more accurate weight comparison by mounting up the same tires on those wheels, but i'm lazy and running out of money. even though the dinos are heavier, they are easier to handle because of shape of the hub and fewer spokes.

they are super responsive when pushing around. i'm really enjoying them, but now i'm curious to feel spinergys!

p.s. my stock 5" axles fit the dinos, so the bearing spacing in the hub is the same as my stock wheel (if that's important to anyone).
    Last edited by lacesoutvic; 01-30-2013 at 12:55 AM.
    T6 incomplete - 14 october 2012

Quote Originally Posted by lacesoutvic View Post
    mine are mounted up with marathon plus evo reflex - "reflex" just means that there's a reflective strip on the sides of the tire for better nighttime visibility. they are noticably heavier than my standard invacare/topend stock wheels with gray primos.).
    The tires makes them heavier, a marathon plus is a heavy tire, probable around .5lbs more than a primo.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I have both and I prefer the Round Betty's. I do not notice the weight difference and I like how the Betty's are stiffer. My chair has 6 degree's of camber and the LX's flex way too much for my taste. The betty's are great wheels.
    I like the look of the chunky spokes on the Betty's, nice . The advertising blurb on my local dealer's website mentions how much more stiffer and efficient (pushing wise) the Dino's are compared to all other wheels. But I'm dubious because with the wheelchair user, the pushing force is directed at the rim so surely spoke flex wouldn't come into it, unlike cycle riders? Mmmm I don't know, and this thread is SO OLD, but's it's new me being a new member and I just wanted to give my 'two penneth worth' Plus any of the premium wheels have got to be better the zillion spoke bicycle type wheels on my chair

as a new user you are of course entitled to your opinion however I did mention that my Zra had 6 degrees of camber so of course that would put a lateral force on the wheels which is what I attributed the the flexing to not pushing

I am now using an Icon with 4 degrees of camber but still run RBs

Quote Originally Posted by Creaking_Gate View Post
    I like the look of the chunky spokes on the Betty's, nice . The advertising blurb on my local dealer's website mentions how much more stiffer and efficient (pushing wise) the Dino's are compared to all other wheels. But I'm dubious because with the wheelchair user, the pushing force is directed at the rim so surely spoke flex wouldn't come into it, unlike cycle riders? Mmmm I don't know, and this thread is SO OLD, but's it's new me being a new member and I just wanted to give my 'two penneth worth' Plus any of the premium wheels have got to be better the zillion spoke bicycle type wheels on my chair

It's a smiley kind of day I guess.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

personally i do like the look of the dinos thicker spokes for some reason but prefer the spinergy wheel as a whole, saying that i love my topolinos very stealthy and smooth, but my next pair of wheel might even be the new spinergy xslx wheels i just think they look great, the xlx with much less spokes looks strange to me, but each to their own i guess :P

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    It's a smiley kind of day I guess.
    every day is!

3 years later and this thread really helped me! Decided to cancel LX's and go for RB Dinos with orange spokes