Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! first wheelchair and a nightmare

I'm so sorry for all your trouble. It sounds like the issue is with the DME, not the chair though. The Q7 is a very nice chair. I have one with the footplate reversed, and have seen other photos on this forum where it had to be done as well. Mine is reveresd due to being unble to maintain tight knee flexion, so I need my feet further in front of my body.

sounds like many measurements were off causing the issues you decribed. I would recommend trying to change DME's, as well as sticking around here and learning how to do the measurements yourself. There are many threads on this. This way you are more informed next time you go in to have the measurements taken, and can dicuss things better with the DME. You also might want to go with tilite like the aero where they send you cad drawing that must be signed off on prior to building the chair. This way you can double check the mesurements and everything is correct. Just make sure tilite knows YOU must sign off on the cad, not the dme.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Thanks for all who are trying to help
    Squirt, as I call her is not in a nursing home now, she was for a brief time from acute rehab to home when I was trying to get the house ready and our area had the worst flood in 100 years.
    Yes, the threshold ramps are ada sepcs, been there done that with my Dad, double amputee I can build ramps all day. I did order my own aluminum one for the entrance when some dme vendor said I had to tig weld it add plastic blah, blah because this old house threshold was 2.5 inches on one side and 3.5 on the other, savend myself 100 bucks also.
    I agree to be informed, but honestly, these people are suppose to be professionals and get paid for what they do, if they make a mistake they should man or woman up to it and resolve the issue. Good god she would not be alive if the neurosurgeon or trama department did stunts like this.
    Ya know I have much to deal with these last 7 months with no back up, I am divorced and the father hasn't as much as sent a car since she has been home, one brother with a terminally ill wife, friends always seem to be busy when you need them the most, except friends who live 3 hours away, they did come up the day after the accident and faithfully for 2 weeks after, beacuse this was a media nightmare, I personally fielded 138 phone calls less than 48 hours when it hit the local paper with our names, as both families are well known in the area. I had a local cop who handled the accident site, and I knew that he would miss things so when the sun came up the morning of the accident, there I was taking photos and recovering evidence they left behind. Crawled down the steep embankment to recover her new Iphone she loved so much. I won't even attempt to go into the volumes of paperwork, how the local Health South PT told use to go in utube to learn how other paras get along, that was his best advise.
    The problem with getting the seriel number, is of course the vendor hates me, is already refusing to service the chair Sunrise salesperson refuses to return my phone call and when I call there they have NO record of a second chair being manufactured either by history of original seriel number or her name or my name.
    Sounds to me like this company as whole is shady if the sales rep won't return calls either.
    We keep in shape alright, go to a local private gym 4 days a week, up to 4 hours a day that subscribes to the project walk program and have been trained by project walk. I bought a demo motomed for use at home from the retired salesperson.

I take it insurance is paying for the chair? You definitely need to find another vendor. This one sounds horrible.

If you're paying for the chair out of pocket, I would just do all your own measurements and order online such as from sportaid. Or if you can afford it the Icon since it has the adjustability lacking in other chairs. Also wonderful customer service if you run into any problems.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

i have had quickie chairs since 1986. forget the sales rep, ask for engineering. the serial number is on the chair and paperwork. surely you have copies of the paperwork for 2nd chair? drop that DME as they sound horrible. my 2 cents. btw, nothing shady about quickie; they've been around a long time. the trouble is elsewhere, imo.

eta: telling your daughter to get a running start to go over a threshold is incredibly ignorant. you mentioned an OT in an earlier post. OTs don't do chairs, PTs do.

She didn't sign for the chair or take it, so I wouldn't think she would have the serial number or the paperwork?

Ya, DMEs are so hard to find. Mine is actually really good but still quite 'general'. I instead did my own homework. Spent 6 months making jigs in my garage from scrap wood to sit in/on to see what measurements did what for me. I keep having plans to create some sort of system people could use to do what I did but... time...

Anyhow, I learned that even the GOOD DME's measurements were still generic. I wanted a seat 1" narrower and 1.5" longer then he 'measured'. And some of that you'll never know till you sit for a while. It sounds like a lot of work, and it is... But for a chair that can cost up to even tens of thousands of dollars depending on specifics, you don't want to mess it up.

But I couldn't have done any of it without recommendations and suggestions based on experiences of users in this forum...

Pass the hat and buy an Icon.

There is a benefit with a reversed footplate...door opening (especially where there is a door closer). You can use it as a 'ram' to push the door open. This generally works well with about 85-90* front angle to keep the overall length reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    There is a benefit with a reversed footplate...door opening (especially where there is a door closer). You can use it as a 'ram' to push the door open. This generally works well with about 85-90* front angle to keep the overall length reasonable.
    You can do this with a normal foot plate position.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    i have had quickie chairs since 1986. forget the sales rep, ask for engineering. the serial number is on the chair and paperwork. surely you have copies of the paperwork for 2nd chair? drop that DME as they sound horrible. my 2 cents. btw, nothing shady about quickie; they've been around a long time. the trouble is elsewhere, imo.

eta: telling your daughter to get a running start to go over a threshold is incredibly ignorant. you mentioned an OT in an earlier post. OTs don't do chairs, PTs do.
    O.T.s do chairs. There are some good ones that are CC members are regularly respond.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/