Thread: Caster Flutter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Caster Flutter

*Dr Nick voice* Hello everybody!

My injury is pretty recent so at the moment my only experience with this is in a POS invacare action 3 with 9" casters! As you can imagine caster flutter happens at very low speeds, depending a bit on the smoothness of the ground. This has been very frustrating especially since I've been doing a lot of miles in the chair to build up my strength and stamina. (5-6 miles at least twice a week). The only way I've found to go fast is to backwheel ballance, which is fun if I mess up and the casters come back down and the chair tries to throw me out!

Ok, so I've ordered my first lightweight chair, a Kuschall K4. I've got 25" spinergies (18 spoke) with Shwalbe marathon plus tires which I'll be keeping at 145psi, and 5" starec ali casters. In hindsight I should have gone for 4" casters but nevermind. Am I likely to get caster flutter with this? My fear is it happening at high speed and I'll end up getting road rash! Maybe I should wear my bike leathers when i try it!

Cheers, Si.
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

Caster flutter is a common problem; it can occur on any chair given the right conditions.

Both adjustable and fixed factors affect flutter.
    Adjustable factors that increase flutter are a non-vertical fork, a loose fork-stem nut, and of course faster speed.
    Fixed factors that increase flutter are a heavy caster, a large-diameter caster, smooth tire tread, and a short fork trail (horizontal distance from stem nut to caster axle). (Source of information is the attached research paper.)

It also helps caster performance to have well maintained bearings, proper bearings spacers (internal and external), properly set bearings, and tight axles.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Ah good info, that pdf's very in depth!

Thanks a lot.
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

Quote Originally Posted by SuprSi View Post
    Ah good info, that pdf's very in depth!

Thanks a lot.
    "in depth" to say the least

you're most welcome.

After all that, I predict you'll be much happier with your new chair and casters. Typically a huge difference exists between 9" and 5" casters. Many CCC users prefer the 5" caster as a good compromise for all around performance indoor and outdoor.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>