Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attention NJ folks!

Attention NJ folks!

It has been a long time since I have been here but am looking for some introductory information on moving to NJ. I lived on Long Island for 26 years and moved to NC about 6 years ago. I am a C5/6 quad, work 40 hours a week, live on my own, and drive. I was on SSI but make too much to receive a check now but I am still receiving Medicaid because I need my aids to be able to work. I am in a long term, serious relationship with a guy from NJ. He has a daughter so we have already decided that I have to move up there. Can anybody who lives up there give me some insight into NJ programs and how hard it is to navigate them? Please try not to be negative as I am trying to fight negativity, I just need a starting point and information from people who use the resources now. Thanks!

Hi Kimmy - no insights to offer you regarding New Jersey; just wanted to welcome you back! Hope things are well and that you're able to work out the issues regarding your move.

Welcome Kimmy, I think here is a good place to start for info.

http://www.state.nj.us/humanservices...ome/index.html
    And the truth shall set you free.

Thanks. I'm looking for more personal experiences. I have been looking at everything NJ has posted but want to know the real deal lol.

Contact Javier Robles, president of ThisAbled.com and NJ resident. He's a friend of mine.

It would help if we knew what part of Jersey interests you. We are a small state, but extremely diverse in terms of services, real estate, outdoor activities, etc.

So positive personal experiences only? lol

If the program/waiver for working while receiving Medicaid is still active, that might be something to ask about. There are income caps (I thought were somewhat liberal) and they differ from county to county. I qualified in 2004 and it was great.

Also, although it involves a couple meetings/paperwork etc, Vocational Rehab can be a godsend. It paid for 3/4 of my van conversion (roughly $15,000) and 100% of my power chair. (Which somehow I thought I needed at the time.)

There won't be all open hearts and hands along the way, but if you've lived in Long Island, you should be fine. Good luck.
    And the truth shall set you free.

LOL no not just positive experiences but no "don't even try, stay where you are" attitudes. My worries are the time period it takes to get on some programs to get help, I guess.

He lives in northern Jersey, Sussex county.