Thread: A couple of articles related to neuropathic pain research

Canuck

Thank you for posting the links.

The article by Gary Patti, your first link was especially good because he has identified something which really should be considered in central pain, ie. dimethylsphingosine or DMS. I am going to watch that one.

One of the reasons Canada has such good material is that the Departments of Psychology at McGill and in Toronto require knowledge of pain anatomy/physiology/chemistry as part of the routine PhD curriculum.

If U.S. schools would do the same, it would go a very long way toward improving knowledge of what they are dealing with. The U.S. is still too often turning out graduates who say, "I know you THINK you have pain, but....."

I am a little tempted to be snotty to such people and say something like, "I know you THINK you are wearing a shirt, but...."

Hats off to Ron Tasker, the great pain anatomist in Toronto. And also to Ron Melzack, the really good Psychology Prof at McGill who wrote the Textbook of Pain with Patrick Wall. Melzack is that unusual psychologist who actually believes Central Pain exists, but has extreme doubts about the mind/body having anything to do with it.

I list as an example a book currently for sale on Amazon. I will omit certain words.

Now, in a groundbreaking contribution, Dr. xxxxxxx introduces an interdisciplinary pain-management approach that integrates traditional and alternative techniques including pharmcology, neuroscience, experimental precedures and mind-body medicine. For anyone who suffers from chronic pain conditions such as back pain, post-surgical pain, migraines, and arthritis, xxxxxx (name of book), with the latest research personal stories of patients, and the wise and compassionate advice of a leading pain expert, is a patient's best defense.

A few of the words in this ad are flags for me that the person is not going to have anything to help me:

groundbreaking
    interdisciplinary
    mind/body medicine
    compassionate advice.

Finally, the book's claim to help ALL kinds of pain. If the author cannot distinguish nociceptive pain from neuropathic pain, it seems unlikely they will be anywhere near a specific treatment for central pain.
    Last edited by dejerine; 01-29-2012 at 04:41 AM.

What's your impression of Dr. Short's work of either hitting it hard early or even before it starts?

Well, Lyrica (pregabalin) does have its side effects as the posts here demonstrate. However, a short course right after SCI seems easy enough to do. Some do think Central Pain is a "pain memory" phenomenon, and it could be. I am imagining a clinical trial would be easy enough to design. It would be great if it worked, but Lyrica did not help the central pain which already existed in me.

How long was the gap between when the pain started and the initial dossage of Lyrica?

Wondering if there might be a narrow window when the pain starts that it could be controlled with the right dossage.

My neurogenic or neuropathic pain has been pretty terrible for years...(my injury was at c4/5 and was incomplete)...one day the pain can be mild and severe the next making each day unpredictable.
    Hopefully new meds will be developed that can calm down the tingling, burning pain. I've tried Lyrica, Neurontin and others but they had little effect.

Lyrica has been extremely helpful in my battle with Central/Neuropathic Pain. A great drug. I agree it would be a good study to start Lyrica at the first signs/symptoms of SCI nerve pain. Dejerine, Lyrica wasn't introduced yet when you were injured. Yes? I was injured 10 years ago and it was not available , I believe. I don't know exactly how long you have had SCI.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Lyrica has been extremely helpful in my battle with Central/Neuropathic Pain. A great drug. I agree it would be a good study to start Lyrica at the first signs/symptoms of SCI nerve pain. Dejerine, Lyrica wasn't introduced yet when you were injured. Yes? I was injured 10 years ago and it was not available , I believe. I don't know exactly how long you have had SCI.
    I was injured 5 years ago and no one even bothered to tell me that neuropathic or central pain exists. The doctors essentially seemed to want me to go until I couldn't stand it anymore before they bothered to tell me what was wrong with me. Then, one of them explained that I needed to go to a pain management doc. I did, and neurontin was the first drug of choice followed by Lyrica, which does help me when I take the maximum dose. I am guessing it took about a year to get to the maximum dose of Lyrica.

I am just trying to say that a lot of doctors would have to change their mindsets in order for us to get Lyrica as soon a the pain starts.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.