Thread: Dr.Young:problem with mri scan.

Dr.Young:problem with mri scan.

I have some problems doing MRI. I have my backbone fixed with 18 centimeters titanium "spine-fix" between T2/T8 plus 8 screws of about 5 centimetres.The result of MRI isn't clear: too many artefacts (No use of contrast liquid). Can you tell me what kind of mri machine i can use to have a better result?
    Thank you very much.

Ivano

ivano, if the screws or instrumentation interfere with the MRI, it is not likely to yield a good image on any MRI machine. CT scans will work in the presence of metals although the imaging of the spinal cord itself will not be as good as MRI. Wise.

Dr. Young,

So for those w/ extensive instrumentation (like me) who may be interested in Dr. Huang's procedure, what do you do? I understand he requires an MRI.

I had all my rods and screws removed ASAP after I got home...maybe 10 months post injury.
    I had to twist my surgeons arm.

I tried to get him to fully decompres my spine while he was in there but he would not.

I had the rods removed with the sole intetion of getting an A-1 MRI. so far I havent gotten one since but plan to shortly as a MRI private clinic just opened in my town...saving me a trip to the big city!

Originally posted by ivano:

I have some problems doing MRI. I have my backbone fixed with 18 centimeters titanium "spine-fix" between T2/T8 plus 8 screws of about 5 centimetres.The result of MRI isn't clear: too many artefacts (No use of contrast liquid). Can you tell me what kind of mri machine i can use to have a better result?
    Thank you very much.

Ciao Ivano sono un medico paraplegico di Bergamo ti consiglio di eseguire la risonanza
    al centro di Alta Villa A Vicenza dove hanno una macchina adatta io le faccio ogni anno li' e le immagini non hanno artefatti .

Ciao Paolo Peri

Ivano

i have all that hardware also. i sent dr huang my MRI although he said it was difficult to read he somehow managed. proves again how awesome dr huang is!

I have done a MRI scan with a power rate of 0,1 tesla. The images are quiet clear, there aren't artefacts; there are only black signs in correspondence of the metallic lives.

ivano, welcome. Having steel or iron in your body interfere with MRI scans in two ways. MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) uses a magnetic field to line up molecules and then stimulate the muscles with bursts of high frequency electrical signals.
    1. If the magnetic field does not line up the molecules, they will not respond to the high frequency electrical signals. Therefore, you will see "black" areas which mean lack of signals.
    2. Iron or steel will distort the magnetic field and the scan will suggest that the signal is coming from the wrong places. If the metal is small and far, you can sometimes see.

Most instrumentation that is now being used to fix the spinal column are made of titanium. Titanium does not interfere with magnetic signals. In general, CT scans which use x-rays can be used to visualize the spinal cord when metal rods or screws are used. Although metal rods and screws will also interfere with CT scans, usually you still have a better image than MRI. Alternatively, as Andy suggests below, rods can be removed. Screws are more difficult and probably should not be removed.

Wise.

Thanks for the answer dr.Young. The neurosurgeon told me that he used a mixture of titan-nikel which is the most used now. He had decompressed my spinal cord putting 8 screw over and below the injury site workink on a metallic bar and doing a laminectomia in the place of injury. Moreover he told me that it's better to leave in the fixation if it does not create problems. The normal RMI scans are working with a power rate of 1\1,5 tesla and this thing create a big distortion much more then a lower power rate.
    Probably on march or april i will be in Novosibirsk to undergo a CT treatment and i hope to post good information.

ivano, thanks. please let us know what happens. Wise.