Thread: Joystick control options

Blog Entries

Joystick control options

Are there any intermediate options between a joystick and a head array for propelling and steering a power chair? I’m having trouble pushing hard enough to maintain speed, and also navigating tight turns and doorways while I am visiting my parents.

Where do you suppose that name came from any way? None of this is causing me much joy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post

Where do you suppose that name came from any way? None of this is causing me much joy.
    I believe that the term came from a single stick control for flying that was positioned between the pilot's legs...
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    I believe that the term came from a single stick control for flying that was positioned between the pilot's legs...
    That's my thought, too. I bet the name arose from sarcasm among early pilots. source of quote below:

Attachment 43581

Sorry I cannot be of help with your real question. I hope Jakeyboy1 or SCI_OTR reply. I bet they'd have some productive feedback.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 01-26-2012 at 12:30 AM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Yes, there are many different options.
    If your issue/challenge is "the joystick is to hard to push", ASL makes several different joysticks that take much less strength and movement to activate. My personal favorite is: http://www.asl-inc.com/catalog/items/paslmecd you can get it mounted in a platform, rest your hand on the platform and use your finger to operate the joystick http://www.asl-inc.com/catalog/items/asl603 This joystick takes about a tenth of the effort to operate.

On ASL's website they also have a "pediatric compact". It is half as much tension to operate as a standard joystick.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I wish my original joystick still worked.

You knew it was coming.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 01-26-2012 at 06:59 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jakeyboy.

Oh, the joyful phallus. That just seemed too easy, and out of proportion with the nub at the root of my steering challenges