Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spoked wheel question...

spoked wheel question...

Hi all,
    Just doing a little recon here.
    (not counting spinergys) How often do you get you spokes tighten and wheels trued? Does anybody go to a bike shop to get them trued? If so, what do they charge you?

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeyboy1 View Post
    Hi all,
    (not counting spinergys) How often do you get you spokes tighten and wheels trued? Does anybody go to a bike shop to get them trued? If so, what do they charge you?
    depends on the brand and quality of the rim and activity. I had some cheap Sun rims on my very first chair(Quickie Ti) and it seemed I had a spoke or two loose every week, I don't use any wire wheels anymore.
    It shouldn't take a bike shop that long or cost that much, maybe they could even show you how to do it, my local bike shop is pretty cool about dealing with wheelchair wheels/tires.
    Last edited by jschism; 01-25-2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by jakeyboy1 View Post
    Hi all,
    When they need it, maybe never, and yes you can take it to a bike shop.

I have Spinergy wire-spoke wheels. I took them to a bike shop about 2 months after I got the chair because they were initially shipped not tuned well (spokes had many different pitches). They charged me $7/wheel to true/tune them up. They have stayed in tune since then (14 months). I am very easy on my chair - no curb jumping, etc.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

In 21 years I've only had a pair of wheels tried once, they were spinergy's and were way out of tune. The rest have never gotten bad enough for me that I thought that they need to be trued.
    Most everything I say is

Anybody else taken their wheels to a bike shop for truing?? What was your experince?

I have, though it was through a friend who's a bike builder. Pretty straightforward. I dropped them off, he tightened the spokes, & I picked 'em up.

They're the now unavailable Rogue Wheels w/ DT Swiss steel spokes.

Bike shop, every once and a while (some wheels never seem to go out of true, others seem to need it once a year or so).

It's good to have a pair of spare wheels so that you can drop a pair off at the shop and do something else for a while.

I get mine tuned up every 2 years or so. Only when needed. It usually takes a few hours depending on how busy they are and should cost under $40. If you buy a nipple wrench you can do it yourself at home. It won't be quite as good as a professional shop, but close enough.

What exacting is tuning/truing? To someone who has NO clue... I know a good bike shop though, I used to live just down the street from one.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.