Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving, manual chair, Bakk Flip and Lokk Up

Driving, manual chair, Bakk Flip and Lokk Up

Has anyone seen or used this equipment to drive from a manual chair?

Bakk Flip and Lokk Up:
    http://www.bakkflip.com/
    http://youtu.be/SZqorEAbJ00

It looks really great, and I am much more comfortable using a manual chair (zr) with e-motion wheels. I am hoping to go through driver training in the summer at Craig Hospital, almost 13 years post injury (c4-5), can't self-transfer. I have a Toyota Sienna Braun Rampvan.

What am I missing? does anything stand out as problematic?

Thanks!

Why not just go with an EZ LOCK system? Though no head, neck and back protection like the Bakk Flip, EZ LOCK has been around for a while and is pretty much bullet proof except for the 12lbs. of metal bracket bolted to my wheelchair.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    Though no head, neck and back protection ....
    I could not tell if you were kidding or not. It seems like the protection is the most important part. Are you driving from a manual chair with an EZ lock? A ZR? If so, would you be willing to upload a photo of your setup?

I'm going to look into that Bakk Flip!

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    I'm going to look into that Bakk Flip!
    Post the price you get quoted and I will do the same.
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

I currently use the EZ lock system on my manual chair. This looks a lot safer. Let us know any info you guys find out. (cost, vehicles, chairs)

Blog Entries
    Looks like a great system! Too bad I already spent a fortune on a 6 way seat base...
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 25 years post injury

The EZ lock is forbidden here now and I have to change it in my car. But here it is forbidden to drive from the manuell too so different countries, different rules
    TH 12, 43 years post

Wrongdog, not kidding. I am serious. I do drive from my manual chair. I don't know if I can upload a pic of me using the EZ LOCK but you can probably see it on YouTube or the EZ LOCK website. Certainly I would like some support in back of me like a headrest but I've been using the EZ LOCK system for about 7 years without any problems. I'm not saying it can't be improved or it's the safest lockdown system out there. It has been functional and trouble free for me that's all.

I just saw this thread. My son has the Black Flip and uses the EZ Lock system. The Back Flip is a great idea, but needs a bit more work on the design. My son is in and out of his van a lot, the Back Flip works 90% of the time, but when its not working the manual release is way down at the bottom and cannot be reached by the driver. Not cool!!!! Sooo, many times he does not use it because he's afraid he may get stuck.