Thread: Extortionate price increase

Extortionate price increase

I have been planning on a new power wheelchair for the last few months. A few months ago I got Permobil to send me a price list for a corpus 500. After adding everything I would require the chair, the final price was £15,590 ($24,500). A salesman came out to me yesterday to demonstrate their Corpus 500 and to measure me up. This morning I received this quote for exactly the same wheelchair and additions as I had already priced up previously,£18,299 ($28,790). That is a price rise of £2700 ($4200). I know that products do increase in price, but I think that is pretty extortionate. Well, I think I'm never basically tell them I was going by last year's prices and if they want the sale, that's all I'm paying. I would imagine that they have a pretty big markup price so they will still make a tidy profit. We will see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    I have been planning on a new power wheelchair for the last few months. A few months ago I got Permobil to send me a price list for a corpus 500. After adding everything I would require the chair, the final price was £15,590 ($24,500). A salesman came out to me yesterday to demonstrate their Corpus 500 and to measure me up. This morning I received this quote for exactly the same wheelchair and additions as I had already priced up previously,£18,299 ($28,790). That is a price rise of £2700 ($4200). I know that products do increase in price, but I think that is pretty extortionate. Well, I think I'm never basically tell them I was going by last year's prices and if they want the sale, that's all I'm paying. I would imagine that they have a pretty big markup price so they will still make a tidy profit. We will see what happens.
    Based on what I've learned about DME pricing, they mark up the chair base by 100%. I haven't heard about the margin on accesories. I don't trust any DME's, I've had such bad experiences. It's unfair of me since I'm prejudging people I haven't even met but it's just been so awful. If I were going out-of-pocket, I would buy used on Ebay and save a great deal. I've seen the discounted prices on the Ebay auctions.

I am actually considering it now somewhat. My Icon manual chair is going to be -out-of-pocket and I am going to try and get my new insurance to buy me a new powerchair (please!!) or at least fix my old one. If neither happens I may have to go the Ebay route. Good luck :-)

If you don't mind me asking, what didn't you like about the Storm 4?

I bought one a year ago (out of pocket), with the 8MPH pack, tilt, seat elevator, non standard seat back etc. for £7k and am very happy apart from the rather firm ride caused, I think, by the solid tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what didn't you like about the Storm 4?

I bought one a year ago (out of pocket), with the 8MPH pack, tilt, seat elevator, non standard seat back etc. for £7k and am very happy apart from the rather firm ride caused, I think, by the solid tyres.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the storm, it's not a bad looking wheelchair at all and if it wasn't for the fact that I drive while sitting in my power chair, I would probably keep hold of it. But that doesn't really seem any point in hanging on to it when I would probably never use it.

Sorry I forgot to answer your original question!

Over the last three years the pound has depreciated by 30% against other major world currencies, as Permobils are priced in Swedish Króna I think currency fluctuation may contribute to the price rise but not to the full amount you have been quoted.

Buy Used

I have 4 Permobil chairs, 2 C300's; a C350 and a M300 3G. I've paid between $1200 and $1500 per chair and have had people with absolutely no experience with wheelchairs do my mods/adjustments.

The new Corpus 3G is so adjustable it can be fitted to almost anyone. Find a slightly used one and hire a monkey to make the adjustments.

The mobility companies are screwing the insurance companies royally.

Quote Originally Posted by brysan View Post
    I have 4 Permobil chairs, 2 C300's; a C350 and a M300 3G. I've paid between $1200 and $1500 per chair and have had people with absolutely no experience with wheelchairs do my mods/adjustments.

The new Corpus 3G is so adjustable it can be fitted to almost anyone. Find a slightly used one and hire a monkey to make the adjustments.

The mobility companies are screwing the insurance companies royally.
    Thanks for the tip. At some point I'm going to need to either replace the motor on my Invacare TDX-SP myself or get another powerchair. I'll keep in mind your advice :-)