Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Segway for a Paraplegic using KAFOs

Question Segway for a Paraplegic using KAFOs

I am an L1 complete paraplegic - With an RGO I am able to walk short distances using a walker and am developing skills with forearm crutches. To use walking as a practical matter I need some other way to move longer distances.
    I am looking at Segways - I believe that I could ride a Segway standing in my braces but have no idea how with my knees locked I can get on and off the devices. Does anyone using KAFOs use a Segway and if so what are your experiences
    - I can get up a 3" step with crutches - I think the segawy platform is 8" off the ground.

You may want to search Segways. There's an issue with them being used as a mobility device.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    I am an L1 complete paraplegic - With an RGO I am able to walk short distances using a walker and am developing skills with forearm crutches. To use walking as a practical matter I need some other way to move longer distances.
    I am looking at Segways - I believe that I could ride a Segway standing in my braces but have no idea how with my knees locked I can get on and off the devices. Does anyone using KAFOs use a Segway and if so what are your experiences
    - I can get up a 3" step with crutches - I think the segawy platform is 8" off the ground.
    There are at least two companies making a kit for Segways that allow you to sit while you control it. Pretty cool. My only concern when I saw them was the ability to come right up close to things like counters or tables but I didn't have the chance to try one. Looks like fun and also like they could pretty much overcome any obstacle. Good luck :-)

Have you checked with anyplace that rents them? I imagine they would let you see if you can get on the platform if not go for a supervised test drive. There are at least 2 Segway tour outfits in Seattle.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

I am a Segway owning incomplete crutch walking para with no sensation in the feet. It is a bit of a crux to get on a segway, especially the new segways. There are old segways with a rigid stem with twist controls and newer segways with the stem/handlebars movable to steer. Go for the old segway. If you are unsteady - the newer segway stems / handlebars won't help you with balance.
    I can see that it would be a challenge to get up on one with KAFOs. I have only one AFO and it is not easy.

I'm a walking quad that also gets around using a walker. legs have decent strength and balance. i used a segway for work for about 5 yrs. i loved it. it can be tricky. i had my share of falls. your knees take alot of shock & pressure everytime you hit a bump or pot hole.

my first and only segway was the Segway p Series. check out the link for a pic of it(that is mine, just what it looks like). i havent riddin my segway in over 2 years. its pretty tore up and needs new batteries and both wheels are flat but it still works. the fiberglass handlebars need fixing. everything wrong with my segway can be fixed.

i live in Texas. i'm going to try and sell my segway for parts. my segway still works. it would be a good worthwhile project for the guy/gal that likes to fix modify things. heck, if you lived close by i would just give it to you for free or maybe a six pack or something.
    "I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-
    Left my meds on the sink again-
    My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida/Mantoloking NJ
    Some good advice has been given above.

I have seen guys use crutches to pull themselves up and on. You'll need to give it a try to know for sure.

It is of the utmost importance that you can dismount safely. That's first and foremost.

Best of luck,
    AMAC
    L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida/Mantoloking NJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Liz321 View Post
    You may want to search Segways. There's an issue with them being used as a mobility device.
    The United States Department of Justice in its regulations published in March 2011 confirmed the Segway protection under the ADA.

So at this point any issues would be a violation of federal law. Of course as we all know just because it's the law doesn't mean all will comply.

Be Big,
    AMAC
    L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

I am assuming that to be usable I would need to modify the init with a stand and a way to dismount - possibly rails. I assume I can try one merely by drafting a couple of beefy guys to lift me on and off and
    Craig Vinton
    AllStar Entertainment
    SEATTLE, Washington 98136
    has offered to let me try one

I will accept ineedmyelin's generous offer - I have replied through private channels to work out the details.