Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inclined bed results...so far

Inclined bed results...so far

I have been using Andrew K. Fletcher's theory of the inclined bed for a week now and we are still encouraged by what we are seeing. My skin tone continues to look good and my blood pressure fluctuations are not as severe. These fluctuations ranged from as high as 232 to a low of 39 systolic and as high as 124 to a low of 26 diastolic prior to the study.

There has been little or no swelling in my legs or feet. Two sores on my right foot, that have been there appoximately a month, are healing up nicely.

It hasn't been easy. I have had a few rough times but overall, so far, we have had positive and encouraging results.

I will continue to post more results as they happen.

John

Hi John

Thank you for your post.

Glad things are starting to move along at last for you. The healing sores must strike a cord with your circulation and the points I made about reaching you later rather than sooner.

When My wife read your situation, she was doubtful that even this therapy would be of any use. Thanks also for proving her wrong :-)

When you have worked out your BP averages now that you have changed your bed position, could you please post them so that we can all see what the changes in bp are?

Best wishes John, BTW, I admire your work very much, on the Internet helping others with spinal cord injuries.

Andrew

"Go With The Flow"

I have been using the inclined bed for 8 weeks now. I have had no swelling in my arms or legs. My skin tone remains very good. Have had noticeable muscle tone in my legs.

I am unable to get out of bed because of 2 dislocated hips and have experienced increased pain over the period of this study. I do not have surface sensitivity but I have had an increased sensation in my internal abdominal area.

As I mentioned before, my blood pressure was very erratic but since starting the study it has begun to stabilize.

Here is a sample of my blood pressures from the week of 7/8 to 7/14. These are daily averages compiled from all BPs recorded that week:
    7/8 82/55
    7/9 98/66
    7/10 98/60
    7/11 96/61
    7/12 103/67
    7/13 94/61
    7/14 101/64

Although my diastolic still does, at times, dip into the high 30s and low 40s. This is a dramatic and a much welcomed improvement.

I had intended to post more recent updates but was discouraged by all of the negative respones and skepticism. I am a C3-C4 quad since 1977 and if there is anyone that should be skeptical about this theory, it should be me. All of Andrew's critics want scientific proof of one thing or another. Not all medications and/or therapies work for all people. If that were not so, then no one would suffer.

John

Originally posted by JWMV:

I had intended to post more recent updates but was discouraged by all of the negative respones and skepticism. I am a C3-C4 quad since 1977 and if there is anyone that should be skeptical about this theory, it should be me. All of Andrew's critics want scientific proof of one thing or another. Not all medications and/or therapies work for all people. If that were not so, then no one would suffer.

John
    I am confused, what benefits have you found by doing this?

Andy,
    For one, I had very pale, lifeless looking legs. Now my legs have a flesh tone to them and are beginning to show more muscle tone.

The most obvious benefit to date is my blood pressure has begun to stabilize. Even though the diastolic pressure drops into the low 40s high 30s once in a while, it's not like it used to be. Before, my pressure would fluctuate to extremes often.

With my injury being more than 26 years old, any changes will be slow in coming and since this study only requires me to raise my bed 6", I feel it is worth trying. What have I got to lose?

John

It's been 10 weeks on the incline now and we are beginning to see more changes.

I am experiencing greater sensitivity in my biceps. I previously had slight sensation in my left bicep and none in my right bicep. After a few tests, I was able to feel the cold of an ice cube for the first time since the accident in 1977 (although, I was unable to detect heat). Also, tested with dull and sharp objects and was able to distinguish between the two.

I am sleeping much better and longer at night.

Blood pressures are remaining much more stable.

Pain levels have increased but with pain medication, they are tolerable.

John

What do you have to lose?

You could develop a clot in your leg, hop into inclined bed one more time...throw a clot to your lung and begin and entirely different case study. But maybe you won't.

Sorry for my bluntness.This is not new information.

I thought John had already stated that his circulation has improved significantly in his legs since he inclined his bed.

Furthermore, given that the vast majority of beds are flat and at best elevated at the head end only with legs either flat or elevated, and blood clots develop using these methods, where did you find reference to an incined bed causing blood clots? If you could supply me with the link or reference from which you cite this it could prove helpful?

I did cite a reference stating that there was a 90% increase in circulation when an inclined bed was used with a foot pump, which fits with John's own observations.

Andrew

"Go With The Flow"

Originally posted by Andrew K Fletcher:

I did cite a reference stating that there was a 90% increase in circulation when an inclined bed was used with a foot pump, which fits with John's own observations.
    But you unfortunately misunderstood the reference you cited, and ignored clarifications provided that corrected your thoughts regarding this. Here is this subject, AGAIN. Read and understand.

From another thread:

Well, not exactly. The exact statement in the published article is "The results of the present study show that the efficiency of the foot pump in increasing venous return is improved by adopting the reverse Trendelenburg position."
    PMID: 11413908 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

In other words, the sequential compression device is more effecient in improving venous return if the patient is in the reverse Trendelenberg position. I would imagine this is because there is more venous pooling when the legs are in the dependent position thereby maximizing the volume of venous return to the heart with the compression device.

Originally posted by 1FINERN:

What do you have to lose?

You could develop a clot in your leg, hop into inclined bed one more time...throw a clot to your lung and begin and entirely different case study. But maybe you won't.

Sorry for my bluntness.This is not new information.
    My doctor is aware of this study and I am being closely monitored and examined for any changes.

Thank you for your concern,
    John