Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How wide are airplane aisles?

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    Depending on the plane and your ability to transfer, it may also be possible to use the onboard wheelchair (which does fit down the aisle) to get to the plane's bathroom and use it. That's what I do.
    I didn't think they'd be willing to do that. It would solve my problem I think. Do you get their attention and ask for the chair? I figured they would secure for the flight and some regulation wouldn't allow them to use it while in flight. Your suggestion really could be the problem solver. Get the aisle chair for a trip to the bathroom and relax. Much better than taping up my shmecky ;-) Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    You haven't flown for a while. There is access, if you want to get to the bathroom airlines have an aisle chair on board (if you fly delta they will proudly tell you it was designed by some guy at harley davidson), you hop on, get strapped in like Hannibal Lector and they take you to the bathroom.
    Eek, Hannibal Lecter. Doesn't sound too dignified but you do what you can. I thought they would just let me hop in. That's okay. By the way I haven't flown in at least 18 years. So yeah, it's been a while. Do all the planes still have propellers? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Thanks Dale, I just checked out the videos at the site. Do you know how much it holds? I couldn't find that information at the site. Also, having the resoviour beside me or above me makes me nervous about a big spill.

I didn't like the leg-bag condom catheter but I will say I didn't worry at all about it leaking.

Excuse me while I rant -argh! So much of the shit I have to do wouldn't be necessary if there was access. I spend so much of my time, energy and money dealing with lack of freaking access. Okay, calm down, it's not going to happen in my lifetime. Deal with it. <end of rant>
    I've gotten 500cc out of one, but that was a bit extreme. It had blown up to the size of a grapefruit! I empty them at ~300cc. Ideal for wearing shorts, too.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

just start flying and you'll figure it out pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I've gotten 500cc out of one, but that was a bit extreme. It had blown up to the size of a grapefruit! I empty them at ~300cc. Ideal for wearing shorts, too.
    300cc might do it. I'm not going to void more than 500cc in five or six hours unless I've been drinking a lot or eating watermelon. Jeez, I remember one summer night a few years ago. It had been a hot day and I thought I'd make sure I was hydrated so I kept drinking. I didn't think I'd drunk very much but I voided 1000cc that night. Damn urinal weighed a ton. Did not do that again.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelz99 View Post
    just start flying and you'll figure it out pretty quick.
    Thanks, I think you're right. :-)

I didn't think they'd be willing to do that. It would solve my problem I think. Do you get their attention and ask for the chair? I figured they would secure for the flight and some regulation wouldn't allow them to use it while in flight. Your suggestion really could be the problem solver. Get the aisle chair for a trip to the bathroom and relax. Much better than taping up my shmecky ;-) Thanks
    trust me..this is a pain..as they are on tight schedules and usually are in the middle of serving when you need it with the serving cart in the way..lol..plus I for one don't like to be any more dependant on help than I need to be..(getting on and off plane is enough for me..) If you are lucky enough to get their attention (I can't reach the call button)-They will have to find where it is..get it opened, bring to you, will not assist in transfer-not that you would need it. (the flight attendants are not permitted to do so) and then push you down the aisle, manuever you into bathroom -there is a slight bump to go over), wait for you to tranfer onto toilet, ( or I guess you could pee while in the aisle chair with door open as a guy or gal with mitro?) or pull out the chair so door can close, wait for you to finish...and take you back. Most of these attendants have not had anyone or experience with the on board aisle chair..so they may be figuring it out as they go along. (that has been my experience) To me it is not worth it and one time I seriously was almost injured when the plane hit turbulence on my way to CA..and I was in the stall bouncing around lol! The poor lady barely got me back to my seat.,,with all the movement of plane!

Not meaning to be negative..but that was how my experience felt.

Tape that thing up and enjoy the peace and stress free trip! )
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Yes, they do that. That's why they're required to have an onboard wheelchair. You ring the call button, the flight attendant comes, you say you need the onboard wheelchair (OBWC) in order to go to the lavatory, they go have a little conference about it because none of them has had to actually deploy the OBWC since they were trainees, they finally find it, they bring it, you look it over and notice that they haven't folded down the footrests and the straps are all tangled up in the armrests and the brakes (which is why they had such a hard time pushing it down the aisle), together you all untangle it and make it better.

You have to get yourself on to it, unless you happen to get the 6 foot tall 220 pound male flight attendant who in his other job is a physical therapist. Then you go trundling down the aisle, trying to avoid sleeping passengers' elbows and blankets and heads and feet. The flight attendants will probably have already blocked off the entire lav area, so you will not have curious gawkers. On a large widebody, you may be lucky enough to get a lav that the OBWC actually fits in, next to the toilet, this is assuming that the 100 pound woman dripping wet who is trying to maneuver this thing around can manage to do it.

You will have to get yourself on and off the OBWC in/near the lav. If the door won't close/lock, no worries, the polite flight attendant will turn her back and say, "Just holler when you need me!"

The description of the trip back to your seat is left as an exercise for the reader. It's doable, it is a production in the "it takes a village" sense, and it's totally up to you to decide how inconvenient/embarrassing it is. The flight attendants are usually totally thrilled to be able to help you out, not to mention grateful to have an opportunity to break out a piece of equipment they rarely, if ever, use. I tend to view it as an opportunity to train more flight attendants.

Edited to add: DO NOT WAIT to ring the call button until you are desperate. Assume anywhere from a half hour to an hour delay AFTER you've managed to get an FA's attention, depending on the state of meal service, how many passengers are already waiting for the lav, and how often the FAs have done this before. Allow plenty of time. In the same vein, do not try this any closer than one hour before landing.
    Last edited by Katja; 01-26-2012 at 01:36 PM.

[QUOTE=Katja;1482361]You have to get yourself on to it, unless you happen to get the 6 foot tall 220 pound male flight attendant who in his other job is a physical therapist. Then you go trundling down the aisle, trying to avoid sleeping passengers' elbows and blankets and heads and feet. The flight attendants will probably have already blocked off the entire lav area, so you will not have curious gawkers. On a large widebody, you may be lucky enough to get a lav that the OBWC actually fits in, next to the toilet, this is assuming that the 100 pound woman dripping wet who is trying to maneuver this thing around can manage to do it.

QUOTE]

I loved your description better! Made me laugh! fantastic writer..)
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
    I loved your description better! Made me laugh! fantastic writer..)
    If we couldn't laugh, we'd cry. Thanks for the kind words!

Oh, and the physical therapist/flight attendant thing is actually true and happened to me. Flight attendants are not permitted by union rules to assist in transfers, but this guy just picked me up out of the OBWC and set me down on the toilet, no worries.