Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How wide are airplane aisles?

How wide are airplane aisles?

I have been wondering if there is any way to go down and airplane aisle with a manual chair. I figure there's no way but wouldn't it be great to be able to use your chair on the plane?

I haven't flown since I started using a chair 16 years ago and I've worried about using the bathroom onboard. I'm getting an Icon and can narrow the chair up for smaller spaces. I don't think it's possible to get it down the aisle but does anybody know how wide the aisles are, has anyone used their chair on the plane?

great frickin question and idea! i kinda doubt it would work..for most of us..my sides rub the armrests as I go down aisle in the aisle chair...and I am a probably under 16 inches across. so that wouldn't include the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    I have been wondering if there is any way to go down and airplane aisle with a manual chair. I figure there's no way but wouldn't it be great to be able to use your chair on the plane?

I haven't flown since I started using a chair 16 years ago and I've worried about using the bathroom onboard. I'm getting an Icon and can narrow the chair up for smaller spaces. I don't think it's possible to get it down the aisle but does anybody know how wide the aisles are, has anyone used their chair on the plane?
    Last edited by sherocksandsherolls; 01-25-2012 at 04:43 PM.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Yeah, no way unless you are in the very first row. You are not getting down the aisle in a regular chair otherwise. Most planes have an onboard aisle chair to get to the bathroom, but unless you are going overseas I would recommend regulating your liquids before getting on the plane and holding it.

Yeah that's what I thought. I can't hold it that long unless I did some extreme stuff beforehand with my diet and liquids and that would give me a problem later. I tried a condom cath once, I know it was just once, but anyway I tried it and boy that's something to get used to. I figure that's what I'd use for an airplane ride. Spend a couple of weeks putting on the thing and drinking lot's of fluid until I have it worked out.

It was a fantasy to use the Icon onboard but I just kept thinking how great it would be to run down to the toilet and get on and off the plane in my own chair. I need to get used to a condom cath and the figure out how to pay for the supplies. I got some samples a few years ago but I'd need some more for an actual trip. I've never used one out of the house but it would be great not having to worry about finding an accessible toilet. It wouldn't be the best situation but I figure for traveling it's probably the best way for me to go.

Any advice on putting a condom cath on? I don't have an SCI and I have full sensation. Last time I used the method of placing the condom over an erection but it sure was funny when all that adhesive tried staying on when things went back to soft. Oh I did see someone posting about travel urinals and doing that under a blanket or jacket. That might be something but geez, doing that next to a stranger on a plane? I don't know if I could get that started.

I can get in far enough w/ my chair to do a direct transfer onto the first row of seats on Southwest's planes, but every other airline I've flown with I've had to do the aisle chair thing.

You won't be able to get narrow enough to fit. Like t8burst said, just limit your fluids & you'll be fine. Cath right before boarding starts. I've never used a condom cath, never had a problem flying.

I always ask if they have any first class seats available when I check in. They have bumped me up every time except for once. It's worth a try because a regular chair won't make it down the isle.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Yeah that's what I thought. I can't hold it that long unless I did some extreme stuff beforehand with my diet and liquids and that would give me a problem later. I tried a condom cath once, I know it was just once, but anyway I tried it and boy that's something to get used to. I figure that's what I'd use for an airplane ride. Spend a couple of weeks putting on the thing and drinking lot's of fluid until I have it worked out.

It was a fantasy to use the Icon onboard but I just kept thinking how great it would be to run down to the toilet and get on and off the plane in my own chair. I need to get used to a condom cath and the figure out how to pay for the supplies. I got some samples a few years ago but I'd need some more for an actual trip. I've never used one out of the house but it would be great not having to worry about finding an accessible toilet. It wouldn't be the best situation but I figure for traveling it's probably the best way for me to go.

Any advice on putting a condom cath on? I don't have an SCI and I have full sensation. Last time I used the method of placing the condom over an erection but it sure was funny when all that adhesive tried staying on when things went back to soft. Oh I did see someone posting about travel urinals and doing that under a blanket or jacket. That might be something but geez, doing that next to a stranger on a plane? I don't know if I could get that started.
    Let me get this straight, you would rather tape a tube to your schmeckel and go around with a bag of pee on your leg than pee in a gatorade bottle under a blanket?

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Let me get this straight, you would rather tape a tube to your schmeckel and go around with a bag of pee on your leg than pee in a gatorade bottle under a blanket?
    For me the answer is a definate yes..(not that you asked me lol) as I just couldnt do that with someone next to me either..I would die..but then again..I couldnt do it anyway as I don;t have a "schmeckel" lol!

I really don't mind the foley..it actually gives me great independance when traveling..I just empty before I get on plane...and wear a loose skirt..or pant..
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I'd rather not do any of the above but what's the best solution? It took me a while to get used to peeing in a urinal while in bed. Been doing it now for more years than I can count. Getting used to peeing while sitting down, it's like my body knows that if I'm sitting, I shouldn't pee. When I tried the condom cath it took me some time to pee while seated. I don't want all that tape and I don't want a bag of pee strapped to my leg but I don't think I could pee in a urinal right next to someone. I had trouble in an ER doing it and the doc ran the faucet and it actually helped.

I've been a frequent pee'er (is that a word?) since I was a kid. Trying to figure out how to travel, that's all.

I'd rather not do any of the above but what's the best solution? It took me a while to get used to peeing in a urinal while in bed. Been doing it now for more years than I can count. Getting used to peeing while sitting down, it's like my body knows that if I'm sitting, I shouldn't pee. When I tried the condom cath it took me some time to pee while seated. I don't want all that tape and I don't want a bag of pee strapped to my leg but I don't think I could pee in a urinal right next to someone. I had trouble in an ER doing it and the doc ran the faucet and it actually helped.

I've been a frequent pee'er (is that a word?) since I was a kid. Trying to figure out how to travel, that's all.
    Well dude, if you are still in SF stop by and I can give you some tubes to stick in your penis and they will drain out all the urine. That is what I do 5 or 6 times a day. Works every time!