Thread: Xenotransplantation and moral theology

Xenotransplantation and moral theology

Towards the end of this thoughtful but, in my opinion, slightly overwrought article on the moral dilemmas associated with xenotransplantation, the author makes an interesting statement:
    "Since the Renaissance, the sciences have become more and more independent of the so-called humanities. This move towards independence has been, and still is, very important for Western culture."
    I must say that it is not that science has become more independent of humanities but that humanities have not kept up with science.

Science is moving much faster than humanities in terms of the amount of new knowledge that is being created. Digestion and incorporation of that knowledge is becoming harder and harder to do because of the volume of information that is coming out.

Most scientists do not even pretend to understand most of science anymore. They just understand their particular niche extremely well, closely related subjects somewhat well, and are familiar at a "scientific american" level (educated layperson) for the rest of their field. It is impossible to read more than 5-10 journals per week.

It is not too surprising that people in the humanities cannot keep up with the pace of science. However, it is crucial that they do keep up, at least some of them. Many colleges allow students to graduate with little or no science training at all. This is unfortunate because so much of the decisions concerning the future of humankind depends on the public having sufficient understanding of science to make appropriate decisions.

Wise.

Gracious! How long has the pig heart valve been around?
    While there are some serious issues presented, it must be fascinating to present random comments for discussion without references supporting the assumptions.
    I wonder if his philosophical issues/concerns would clarify if he or his family member were a C4,etc.
    Good to know what is out there.....

Originally posted by The Mom:

Gracious! How long has the pig heart valve been around?
    While there are some serious issues presented, it must be fascinating to present random comments for discussion without references supporting the assumptions.
    I wonder if his philosophical issues/concerns would clarify if he or his family member were a C4,etc.
    Good to know what is out there.....
    Mom,
    I think he was trying to show both sides of
    a complex arguement. I don't think he is really on either side of the fence..just stating what he has heard from all concerned.

And the religious sectors always quote out
    of context..just what they want you to hear..
    and not the entire thought that it was contained in.

If we were to take everything literally..well
    we are told to eat of his body and drink of
    his blood.
    It bothers me that we disconnect ourselves from nature. We are as much a part of it as
    a dung beetle. If animals could take a heart
    of another creature and use it to give life..
    well they would.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what
    we give.
    Winston Churchill