Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I thnk my little boy Harley is depressed?

I thnk my little boy Harley is depressed?

It seems in the last couple of months, our CC family has lost so many beloved pets. I know I am still missing my little Daisy.

But how do I know if he is depressed? I know he misses her too. He is eating fine and we have been taking walks but he just seems lonely for more than me. He has never been alone (the only dog). Even though he acts like he hates other dogs...I sometimes wonder if he just doesn't know how to be friendly. He is a Pekinese/Poodle mix.

So I guess I am contemplating going to adopt another baby. It will be a shelter dog. I thought about a cat at first but I don't know if I want to have another cat. I loved my little Amy but putting her down was so hard too.

How will I find one Harley will like? He loved one dog where I lived to the point he licked on her and was outside all the time with her. He tried that with another dog since and got snapped at. They were both the same mixed breed of dog and both larger older females. He was always protective over little Daisy and they played together but he never acted that way with her. Of course, I had Daisy before Harley and she ruled the roost LOL

So what to do?
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Do any of the shelters where you live have foster programs? If they do, why don't you give that a try? That would give you a chance to see how Harley and and a new dog get along before committing to adopting. At the same time, you end up helping out a dog who is waiting for a permanent home. My sister did that when she was looking for a good companion for her family's dog, while also wanting one that could tolerate a household with young children and cats. They fostered two dogs until they decided on one that was a good fit for the family (both those dogs did end up being adopted while fostered at my sister's house). They ended up finding a dog that has been a great addition to their household and I think the fostering experience was a positive one for their entire family.

I hadn't thought of that OJ.

I am going to look into it. There are lots of shelters here.

It might be too that things have just got back to normal and we are in our routine again.

The sheriff in my hometown posted a picture of a little beagle mix to my facebook night before last and I keep thinking about her. He told me I needed her...she is a last chance adoption. But I will have to drive some hours to get her.

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Go for it DD...how could you say no to those eyes?
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Well I guess I am making a trip to the mountains next weekend to find a new family member. I just talked to them.

It is a kill shelter hence the urgency with the little beagle. Maybe I can find Harley an older woman like he likes. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
    Well I guess I am making a trip to the mountains next weekend to find a new family member. I just talked to them.

It is a kill shelter hence the urgency with the little beagle. Maybe I can find Harley an older woman like he likes. LOL
    oh tonja, she is adorable, good god, i would get her, good luck, maybe it's meant to be.

This one is an option too. I am trying to find out information on her.

Hi Tonja
    Our little furry companions definitely suffer from depression
    I know my 3 babies felt empty / lonely when my buddy Benji Passed away

I also am looking into adoption shelters as these little companions need homes and love

Good luck
    Sincerely ; GL

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
    I hadn't thought of that OJ.

I am going to look into it. There are lots of shelters here.

It might be too that things have just got back to normal and we are in our routine again.

The sheriff in my hometown posted a picture of a little beagle mix to my facebook night before last and I keep thinking about her. He told me I needed her...she is a last chance adoption. But I will have to drive some hours to get her.
    OMG! That beagle mix is so incredibly cute.

As for Harley, I think it's very possible to be depressed while still eating normally. I've gone back to eating normally since Lemmy's passing, but I wouldn't say I'm completely better. The harshness of winter may pass, but its presence is still felt after. I've gone on to normalcy, but there are still moments of sadness, missing what's lost, nightmares, etc. Your dog has you and as a pack animal, it still thrives and lives for you, but I can definitely understand the animal missing one of the pack as we humans do.

Oh what the heck, get them both! I would never be able to choose between the two. Load them all up, you and Harley could have a whole little tribe.