Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to New Jersey...

Moving to New Jersey...

Looking to move to NJ before next fall. Was hoping there might be some NJ members who could give me an idea of the best communities for wheelchair and general accessibility. Will try my hand at googling the info as well...

Tia...Boom
    C6/7 Complete

14 years post injury

My condolences.

South, middle or north?
    And the truth shall set you free.

New Jersey has some of the most beautiful land I've seen, like heaven on earth. It's just a short trip from the cities. Everyone should have the chance to see it, breathtaking.

I lived in NJ as a kid, only drove through it again as an adult and that was just before I started using a chair so I didn't have any experiences with accessibility. Good luck with the move and do see the country around there when you have the chance. :-)

Its not that bad Joe...

I am from and now live back in south Jersey. I lived in north Jersey right outside New York for 16 years.

I don't know what cities are best accessibility wise. I guess it depends on what you want to do. I lived in Hoboken up north and now that I am in a chair, I'm pretty sure I wouldnt be happy there.

“Everybody hates Jersey, but somebody’s gotta live there.”
    — Archie Bunker

If you live at certain shore points where there is zero chance for the cast of Jersey Shore showing up, I am prepared to call it the best place on earth.

Those locations are bubbles under siege.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
    If you live at certain shore points where there is zero chance for the cast of Jersey Shore showing up, I am prepared to call it the best place on earth.

Those locations are bubbles under siege.
    If you avoid the town of Seaside Heights you're good. It has been referred to as Sleaside for as long as i can remember.

I would have loved to have grown up in Somer's Point, Stone harbor, Cape May etc.

Sure, I would be bitching about the shobies and the hefties every year
    but I would have great summer stories!

When you leave the shore, you re-enter "the cloud." The sun doesn't shine as much or as bright, (probably because the smog is more pronounced the closer you get to Philly) motorists regain their "drive or die" Mad Max road etiquette and the smiles fade more for every mile further from the beach.

I wish I were wrong about that.
    Last edited by NoDecafPlz; 01-26-2012 at 12:58 PM.

Glad I live at the beach!

Thanx for all the replies. NJ may not be a 'choice' place to live...I'm considering it for a number of reasons. My wife is from England and currently we are a 4hr drive to the nearest international airport (Baltimore) which makes it a pain for her family to visit and/or for us to visit the UK. Oh...I should mention that I live in semi-rural northern WV...probably one of the least desirable states in the union by far...it's actually embarrassing to tell anyone I live here.
    Another BIG reason for choosing NJ is that I'll have legal access to medical marijuana without which my quality of daily life would go to sh!t...nothing on the market short of a baclofen pump can relieve my spasticity (and moderate pain) like weed. Zanaflex works decent at the cost of never ending drowsiness and that eternal 'doped up' feeling. Weed has been a true god-send for me but it's a big hassle to find a constant, dependable, hassle free source. Then ofc there's the legal ramifications that go with it if caught.
    I'm not interested in living in a big city so to speak...ideally I'd like to find a mid-sized city with close access to good medical facilities and live in the 'burbs...not 'in town'. I'd also need to be reasonably close to the train system that allows easy access for me (and my chair..lol) to NYC.
    Heh...it's not as easy as it may sound to just 'pick a place to live'...I have to get this right the first time cuz I don't intend to move/relocate again once I'm settled...ever. Luckily I have about 6 months to figure it all out.
    C6/7 Complete

14 years post injury