Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving to New Jersey...

Well Atlantic City is a nice smaller airport but Newark goes just about everywhere. The one good thing is that as long as you don't mind driving 35-45 minutes from point A to point B, one can find a relatively safe community to live within.

Oh but you can't own a port-O-pottie in NJ without paying at least $5K in property taxes. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Boompow View Post
    Thanx for all the replies. NJ may not be a 'choice' place to live...I'm considering it for a number of reasons. My wife is from England and currently we are a 4hr drive to the nearest international airport (Baltimore) which makes it a pain for her family to visit and/or for us to visit the UK. Oh...I should mention that I live in semi-rural northern WV...probably one of the least desirable states in the union by far...it's actually embarrassing to tell anyone I live here.
    Another BIG reason for choosing NJ is that I'll have legal access to medical marijuana without which my quality of daily life would go to sh!t...nothing on the market short of a baclofen pump can relieve my spasticity (and moderate pain) like weed. Zanaflex works decent at the cost of never ending drowsiness and that eternal 'doped up' feeling. Weed has been a true god-send for me but it's a big hassle to find a constant, dependable, hassle free source. Then ofc there's the legal ramifications that go with it if caught.
    I'm not interested in living in a big city so to speak...ideally I'd like to find a mid-sized city with close access to good medical facilities and live in the 'burbs...not 'in town'. I'd also need to be reasonably close to the train system that allows easy access for me (and my chair..lol) to NYC.
    Heh...it's not as easy as it may sound to just 'pick a place to live'...I have to get this right the first time cuz I don't intend to move/relocate again once I'm settled...ever. Luckily I have about 6 months to figure it all out.
    And the truth shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by Boompow View Post
    Thanx for all the replies. NJ may not be a 'choice' place to live...I'm considering it for a number of reasons. My wife is from England and currently we are a 4hr drive to the nearest international airport (Baltimore) which makes it a pain for her family to visit and/or for us to visit the UK. Oh...I should mention that I live in semi-rural northern WV...probably one of the least desirable states in the union by far...it's actually embarrassing to tell anyone I live here.
    Another BIG reason for choosing NJ is that I'll have legal access to medical marijuana without which my quality of daily life would go to sh!t...nothing on the market short of a baclofen pump can relieve my spasticity (and moderate pain) like weed. Zanaflex works decent at the cost of never ending drowsiness and that eternal 'doped up' feeling. Weed has been a true god-send for me but it's a big hassle to find a constant, dependable, hassle free source. Then ofc there's the legal ramifications that go with it if caught.
    I'm not interested in living in a big city so to speak...ideally I'd like to find a mid-sized city with close access to good medical facilities and live in the 'burbs...not 'in town'. I'd also need to be reasonably close to the train system that allows easy access for me (and my chair..lol) to NYC.
    Heh...it's not as easy as it may sound to just 'pick a place to live'...I have to get this right the first time cuz I don't intend to move/relocate again once I'm settled...ever. Luckily I have about 6 months to figure it all out.
    Northern Maryland would meet your needs or perhaps Delaware. Medical marijuana is up for consideration in MD or may have just passed. Train goes throughthe state down to DC or up as far as Boston with a stop in NYC. I travel Amtrak all the time.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

I lived all over New Jerseymy whole life.I think that you would love Metuchen next to Edison!It is a wonderful place! Very wheelchair friendly. I think you and your wife would love it there very quiet town with old colonial houses. I hope that this help you
    Last edited by tac88; 01-27-2012 at 01:02 AM.

Boompow, I wouldn't assume you will have access access to med marijuana in NJ. From what i have read, it will be very tough to be approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Boompow, I wouldn't assume you will have access access to med marijuana in NJ. From what i have read, it will be very tough to be approved.
    Wonderful...looks like I'm in for a battle then cuz I won't be denied... I'll google it up and see what the deal is.

@tac88...thanks for the recommendation! I'll def check it out.

@nodecafeplz...lmao..looks like I'll have to sell my king sized customized wc adapted w/ automated squirt and dry porta-potty. As much as I'd prefer living 30 mins from 'people' lol, I need to be located within easy access to public transit/paravans. Unfortunately I don't have an extra $30k for a wheelchair van atm...lol
    Last edited by Boompow; 01-31-2012 at 10:50 AM.
    C6/7 Complete

14 years post injury

Hello New Jersey dwellers!

My name is James and am involved in kerb (or curb, if you will) design.

What is your opinion on the accessibility of the curbs (ie accessibility from roadways to sidewalks) in New Jersey?. Do there seem to be a lot of barriers inadvertently created by poor design?

Many thanks in advance,

James.
    (Hunter Kerb, NSW, Australia)

Dont live in Camden, or within 30 minutes of Philly, Newark, NYC, B-More....wait, that eliminates the whole state.....dang.

Beware of "jug handles"........talk about mess'n up a green teeth. Did a lot of U-turns. And the taxes, the cops, cant pump your own gas.....but you can find a bar jus outside your bedroom, I think. The bars dont close till 3-4 a.m.???? Cant remember......