Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone from Vancouver that can verify this photo?

Blog Entries

Anyone from Vancouver that can verify this photo?

This photo is supposedly a Vancouver, B.C. utility hole (manhole to us old farts) cover with a tadpole/frog design. Anyone ever seen one? At any rate, it's pretty cool...
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

It was for a contest, apparently.

http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/oca/pub.../artunderfoot/

I haven't personally seen one, but it's very much in the tradition of West Coast native art. I especially like the frogs.

That's great. Ours are very utilitarian which of course a manhole cover is, but it's nice when you can add some style or even art to something expected to be banal. Thanks for the photo :-)

Interesting! I liked looking at all of them.

I'm surprised there hasnt been cars reported as damaged from falling into holes with no covers... I can see a black market for collecting these...

Someone walking by stops in the middle of the intersection to admire it and...

It is really quite beautiful.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    I'm surprised there hasnt been cars reported as damaged from falling into holes with no covers... I can see a black market for collecting these...
    Considering that manhole covers can weigh between 85-300 lbs., it would take a specialized thief.
    One time, pre-injury, I decided that I was going snag one of those blinking lights that are bolted to orange construction barrels. (stupid, I know) Anyway, my buddy drove by with his pickup truck and I was gonna toss it into the back and jump in... easy peasy. So, I looked around, saw no one, grabbed the barrel midway down and went to hurl it into the truck. Damned if there wasn't about 100 lbs. of sand inside and I nearly threw my back out. I left, without my booty and laughed at by my "friend."

I love "the art of the commonplace." I sometimes look at the beautiful old machines and other utilitarian works of yesterday and get nostalgic. In another thread (in politics) someone posted about the Gross National Happiness by which the country of Bhutan measures success. I do believe that the things we encounter regularly as we go about our everyday existence should lift us up. In far too many ways, the world is becoming a smaller, poorer place. Big Ups, BC!
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

You can drag images from your desktop to Google Images, if you have Win 7. Don't know about earlier OS's.

Here's what I got

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    This photo is supposedly a Vancouver, B.C. utility hole (manhole to us old farts) cover with a tadpole/frog design. Anyone ever seen one? At any rate, it's pretty cool...
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Be careful driving in Flint, Mi where there is a thriving market in manhole covers at our local scrap metal dealers. They are not even ornate covers. The city council recently disciplined 2 local scrap dealers for accepting these. The dealers claimed they must have been delivered at the bottom of loads of scrap but it does appear the dealers themdselves made some attempts to conceal the covers.

Also, a booming market in Flint for copper from ac units. One local heating and ac company is running TV ads for alarm systems which attach to commercial ac units. In some parts of Flint local homeowners have returned from work to find some entrepreneur has removed the aluminum siding from their home.

Welcome to post apocalyptic America.