Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Stem Cell Institute in Panama

Panama you said
    ain't that the country whose's past president was one of the worlds largest drug barons and
    now in jail my opinion another banana republic like the Domenican Republic where Radar has set up his scam .
    Of all the millions upon millions that have been pumped into stem cell research, and years (nearly a decade) of hearing about trials and treatment facilities nothing whatsoever zero i mean absolutely zero has been proven that stem cells are even safe never mind can treat SCI.
    This is the plain unadulterated truth. All one can say is that stem cells are a interesting venture and hope for the best. After watching the X-cell centre hijack nearly every SCI site i will not be surprised if they open up there under another name.
    On another note as you said this treatment is experimental it should be them who should be paying you and not vice-versa and
    this is my opinion
    Last edited by peterf; 02-10-2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: r

Quote Originally Posted by intheknowstemcells View Post
    His response is pretty fair but he was incorrect about what he said regarding the stem cells they use to treat spinal cord injury. He said they use cells from the patient's own fat and bone marrow. This is what their web site says:

http://www.cellmedicine.com/treatmen...l-cord-injury/

Which types of stem cells does the Stem Cell Institute use to treat spinal cord injury and how are they collected?

The adult stem cells used to treat spinal cord injuries at the Stem Cell Institute come from two sources: the patient’s own bone marrow (autologous mesenchymal and CD34+) and human umbilical cord (allogeneic mesenchymal and CD34+).

A licensed anesthesiologist harvests bone marrow from both hips under light general anesthesia in a hospital operating room. This procedure takes about 1 1/2 – 2 hours. Before they are administered to the patient, these bone marrow-derived stem cells must pass testing for quality, bacterial contamination (aerobic and anaerobic) and endotoxin.

Stem cells are also recovered from donated umbilical cords. These umbilical cord stem cells are screened for viruses and bacteria to International Blood Bank Standards.
    intheknowstemcells,

Before you claim that I was incorrect in my response, you should take a look at the date of my post. I posted it in 9/30/2010. It was about one and a half years ago. At the time that I looked at the web site, they were offering only autologous cells (bone marrow and fat cells). Since I work on umbilical cord blood cells, if they had offered such cells, I would have noticed and commented on that.

I have recently talked to a father of a spinal-injured person who went and visited this group in Panama. It is true that Miami Project has been referring some patients to them. I learned from this father that they are not using HLA-matched umbilical cord blood cells and that the umbilical cord blood cells are obtained locally in Panama rather than a certified cord blood bank.

Before anybody agrees to the transplants, they should find out what tests were done to rule out infections. For example, people should ask whether they tested the mother for sexually transmitted diseases such as AIDS and syphilis, as well as common viruses such as cytomegalovirus and hepatitis? It is not enough to test the cells. The mother must be tested.

I wonder what criteria they are using to isolate so-called mesenchymal stem cells from bone marrow and umbilical cord blood? At the time of my last comment in 2010, I pointed out if this group has a GTP facility, this would be better than most of the other places. However, I wonder who gave them this certification. I doubt that they have a US FDA certified GTP facility.

They will be injecting the cells intravenously or intrathecally, not into the spinal cord. Many animal studies have shown that few or no cells will enter the spinal cord injury site (particularly in chronic spinal cord injury) from intravenous or intrathecal injections. Be skeptical if they are claiming that the cells will get into spinal cord through these two routes of administration.

Several groups have injected bone marrow cells intrathecally into several hundred patients, for example in Bombay and Cairo. I don't think that the results from these studies have been sufficiently impressive to claim that the treatment has restored significant function in even a small minority of patients. It would be important to ask them to indicate how many of their patients recovered how much motor and sensory function.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by T11T12 View Post
    I truly hope that your brother gets positive results from this treatment, however I think he will probably benefit more from PT than anything else. Looking at his ASIA scores I imagine he has great room for improvement just from therapy. When you come back to the US try to get him to one of the model SCI centers that have the most advanced equipment and knowledgeable professionals to get get his full potential. I only the Shepherd Center but I know there are several just as good. I've seen such great recoveries there. My husband's injury is complete and he hasn't regained anything below certain level, but he's seen great improvement in his core and the control of his body.
    Keep us posted. I wish you the best.
    You need to plan ahead for treatment at any of the better facilities here in the states. Coming in after this you would more likely be a candidate for day program or a wellness program like Beyond Therapy to work on core then trace muscles they can find and bring in with estim. BT waits at Shepherd are about 4 months. Day program waits shorter or BT in Franklin, TN is in between in time to get in. Not sure about Project Walk or RIM in Michigan.

"zero has been proven that stem cells are even safe". ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by peterf View Post
    Panama you said
    ain't that the country whose's past president was one of the worlds largest drug barons and
    now in jail my opinion another banana republic like the Domenican Republic where Radar has set up his scam .
    Of all the millions upon millions that have been pumped into stem cell research, and years (nearly a decade) of hearing about trials and treatment facilities nothing whatsoever zero i mean absolutely zero has been proven that stem cells are even safe never mind can treat SCI.
    This is the plain unadulterated truth. All one can say is that stem cells are a interesting venture and hope for the best. After watching the X-cell centre hijack nearly every SCI site i will not be surprised if they open up there under another name.
    On another note as you said this treatment is experimental it should be them who should be paying you and not vice-versa and
    this is my opinion

That guy must have a sticky ? key lol

@Wise Young - always a pleasure to have you join the discussion! We talked quite a bit with the CEO on our first day here (Monday) about the umbilical cord sources, and were assured that they only use donated cells from healthy, full-term babies, and that the umbilical cord cells, the babies, and the mother all undergo extensive testing for diseases to make sure they're only using healthy cells. They have a very fancy expensive lab here for testing. I don't know the answers to your other questions.

Thank you for verifying that they do get referrals from the Miami Project. To me that's a stamp of approval from a very reputable organization. Have you heard any other feedback on them from anyone at the Miami Project?

As far as their patient experiences go - they have told me that pretty much all of their quadriplegic (the group I am most interested in) patients have received some type of benefits from the treatment - what I don't know is how extensive those benefits are, on average.

@Peterf - All comments are welcome on here, of course, but I just have to say - whether or not it's been "proven" that stem cells can treat SCI, the fact of the matter is, a lot of SCI patients truly have had some successes with stem cell treatments - I communicated with a number of them before we chose to do this. Today we met a guy with a lower level injury who went twice to the XCell Center in Germany, and is now here for his third stem cell treatment - he used to be in a wheelchair, and now he's walking very well with arm crutches. I understand completely that people would try this once out of desperation, maybe even twice if they're really desperate and have a lot of money - but no one is going to do this three times unless they're experiencing legitimate benefits. And a lot of these stem cell clinics do have a lot of repeat customers. As I've said before, either on here or in my brother's blog, I know it doesn't work for everyone, and I know it's not a miracle cure - but I also know that some people really are getting some benefits.

@All who recommend PT programs - I agree that PT is going to be critical after this, and they stress that hard here (in case it's not clear, we're in Panama now). I used to live in Atlanta, so I know Shephard is fantastic. We're trying right now to figure out how to get what he needs while still staying at home - he's in an outpatient PT program at home right now, and he works out with a personal trainer - and we'd like to ramp up the time he spends on both of those. We have considered going somewhere for an inpatient program, but we're hoping we don't need to - not to be selfish, but after five weeks in Panama, my mom and I are going to want to stay home for awhile!

Quote Originally Posted by turbodeezl View Post
    "zero has been proven that stem cells are even safe". ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????
    Not sure if you heard but Stem Cell Inc., Geron and Advanced Cell Technology have shown that HESC are safe. ACT has has even shown efficacy.
    "I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-
    Left my meds on the sink again-
    My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->

Quote Originally Posted by ineedmyelin View Post
    Not sure if you heard but Stem Cell Inc., Geron and Advanced Cell Technology have shown that HESC are safe.
    Where can we look over the safety data reports on these Phase 1 trials? The trials are taking place to prove safety at this present time... THEY HAVE NOT ALREADY BEEN SHOWN TO BE SAFE.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 02-11-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Miami Group has referred patients there! Have they done a rigorous study of the place or is that just irresponsible?

I'm interested in the guy who now walks very well with arm crutches after two treatments at XCell. Was he an Asia A injury do you know? I mean if this is true then his recovery is remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by ineedmyelin View Post
    Not sure if you heard but Stem Cell Inc., Geron and Advanced Cell Technology have shown that HESC are safe. ACT has has even shown efficacy.
    As a matter of fact i was invited by stem cell inc and went to Switzerland for a pre trial test. i know the trial group quite well.
    BTW everything including flights accommodation and meals where paid by stem cell inc. not only for me but for a relative too. they did not charge me a penny for their experiment and signed a protocol which favoured the candidate. This is the way things should be done
    the trial is being done over a period of 4 years on 12 candidates 3 from each ASIA scale and it is only being done to prove safety.
    Geron also was just testing out the safety issue but to my knowledge have discontinued. As to HESC scientifically proven as safe and efficacy through clinical trials this is news to me

Rahilka as for proof of efficacy is a person going to the now shut down X-cell centre three times you seem to underestimate the power of desperation, and illusion i know of a person who has been 6 times to the neuro vita clinic in Moscow.
    Last edited by peterf; 02-11-2012 at 06:57 AM.