Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Stem Cell Institute in Panama

Suzzane Summers on Access Hollywood, regrew her breast with stem cells in Japan.

as much as i am against promoting stem cell tourism or i found the following thread very interesting.

http://investorstemcell.com/forum/ac...opic/12824.htm
    "I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-
    Left my meds on the sink again-
    My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->

60 minutes was a one-sided hack job

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    They want you to keep coming back for more "treatments" until they've drained your family's bank account.

Please watch the 60 minute segment on stem cells.

Before or after you watch this story I think it's important to point out that they were exposing a total fraud who, they wanted you to know by the way, happens to also be a child molester. This story has no bearing whatsoever on stem cell treatments in Panama (or anywhere else) any more than it is a reflection on medical doctors who practice in Alabama.

Dr. Kurtzberg talks about there being no evidence that cord blood derived stem cells can treat cerebral palsy, etc and yet she just took $10 million for a clinical trial to study just that; based on her well-documented positive results that can be found on the internet, in newspapers, blogs, discussion boards and even on the Duke University web site! Before she was ever approved for a clinical trial, she was treating children at Duke and charging them money for it. This history stretches back at least 5 years.

Google this - site:duke.edu cerebral palsy stem cells

I find this story from the Duke web site particularly informative:

http://staff.pediatrics.duke.edu/mod...rint.php?id=79

Here is a story from 2007 that documents a child's "recovery" after Dr. Kurtzberg treated him with stem cells and charged the family $10,000!! No clinical trial, no animal studies...

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/batavi...7273054?zc_p=0

There are many more.

Google this - kurtzberg cerebral palsy treatment OR kurtzberg stem cell treatment

And here is the story of Adam Susser that his father and Scott Pelley didn't think was important enough to even mention:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7oSedQsEZk

Lastly, 60 minutes also interviewed at least one other family whose child received stem cells and improved but they chose not to air it. They told that family, "we won't be using your story because we are doing a story about stem cell fraud."

So, that's why I say 60 minutes was a one-sided hack job...

Note that the message above is from someone who is anonymous, with nothing indicated in his/her profile of how they are such an expert on this topic, or what affiliations or special interests they represent or profit from.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Note that the message above is from someone who is anonymous, with nothing indicated in his/her profile of how they are such an expert on this topic, or what affiliations or special interests they represent or profit from.

(KLD)
    Please just review the facts and base your decision upon those presented. Who I am doesn't change the facts one bit. How does being an expert on this topic affect the information found in the given links?

"argumentum ad hominem", is an attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative characteristic or belief of the person supporting it...

rahilka,

Your brother can do a service to this community by having an American Spinal Injury Association (ASIA) Impairment Scale Examination performed before he leaves for Panama, upon his return, and 6/12 months later. This will definitively show if his neurological function improves. These exams are very precise and need to be done by an expert. I can help you find a place in your area to have it done. Send me a private message.

Jim

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by intheknowstemcells View Post
    Please just review the facts and base your decision upon those presented. Who I am doesn't change the facts one bit. How does being an expert on this topic affect the information found in the given links?

"argumentum ad hominem", is an attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative characteristic or belief of the person supporting it...
    By the way, just to be sure my comment is not taken out of context, by "base your decision upon the facts" - I meant the decision as to whether the 60 minutes story is a biased hack job.

**Idea for before and after ASIA scores is an excellent one!

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    rahilka,

your brother can do a service to this community by having an american spinal injury association (asia) impairment scale examination performed before he leaves for panama, upon his return, and 6/12 months later. This will definitively show if his neurological function improves. These exams are very precise and need to be done by an expert. I can help you find a place in your area to have it done. Send me a private message.

Jim

..... +1
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

@Jim (and others) - we had his ASIA scores taken by his physical therapist a week or two ago - I plan to post them to his blog as soon as I get a copy for myself. And we definitely plan to get him retested periodically when we get back. Our sister is actually in her final year of a doctorate program for physical therapy right now, and she's going to write a paper about his results, so we're definitely trying to be as scientific and unbiased as possible in measuring his results.

And honestly, every time I read about someone else who has done this, I always want to know their ASIA scores - I understand how important those are, so we'll be open with his.

By the way, for those who suggested that I email Wise Young about this clinic - turns out someone already has. For those who are interested, here's a link to Dr. Young's response, which I think is pretty fair: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=140833

Quote Originally Posted by rahilka View Post
    By the way, for those who suggested that I email Wise Young about this clinic - turns out someone already has. For those who are interested, here's a link to Dr. Young's response, which I think is pretty fair: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=140833
    His response is pretty fair but he was incorrect about what he said regarding the stem cells they use to treat spinal cord injury. He said they use cells from the patient's own fat and bone marrow. This is what their web site says:

http://www.cellmedicine.com/treatmen...l-cord-injury/

Which types of stem cells does the Stem Cell Institute use to treat spinal cord injury and how are they collected?

The adult stem cells used to treat spinal cord injuries at the Stem Cell Institute come from two sources: the patient’s own bone marrow (autologous mesenchymal and CD34+) and human umbilical cord (allogeneic mesenchymal and CD34+).

A licensed anesthesiologist harvests bone marrow from both hips under light general anesthesia in a hospital operating room. This procedure takes about 1 1/2 – 2 hours. Before they are administered to the patient, these bone marrow-derived stem cells must pass testing for quality, bacterial contamination (aerobic and anaerobic) and endotoxin.

Stem cells are also recovered from donated umbilical cords. These umbilical cord stem cells are screened for viruses and bacteria to International Blood Bank Standards.