Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Stem Cell Institute in Panama

Stem Cell Institute in Panama

I'll be accompanying my brother, a C3-C5 quad, to Panama City, Panama, for stem cell treatment at the Stem Cell Institute there. We'll be in Panama from Feb 4 - March 11. I know this is a subject a lot of you are interested in, and can be a difficult one to find good information on, so I invite any of you to follow along on his blog to learn more about the treatment and his results - http://danielleonard.weebly.com/ (most blog entries so far are about our fundraising efforts, but I'll start updating it with descriptions of the treatment as soon as we get to Panama). I'm also happy to answer any questions anyone has about how we chose Panama, fundraising, the travel experience, etc. - just email me at rahilka @ yahoo.com.

Feel free to comment here in this forum, obviously, but please - if you don't agree with our decision to try this, go ahead and say so, but please keep the hating to a minimum. We realize it's experimental, and we want to try it anyway. I promise to be as unbiased as possible in my reporting of his results, to try to help anyone else who's considering doing this.

Also, if anyone on here has been to the Stem Cell Institute in Panama already, I'd love to hear about your experiences, and any advice you have.

is there anywhere that I can read up on how they do the injection and what type of cells, some info on the procedure. I am interested over here
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Sure - their website is http://www.cellmedicine.com/. The page detailing the protocol for spinal cord patients is http://www.cellmedicine.com/treatmen...l-cord-injury/.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I visited the clinic in Panama before we chose them - it was very clean and professional.

could you please tell me whats the cost ...how much would the approximate total , including the traveling and living expensive etc ?

I ll read his blog and about the treatment. I wish him best of luck and hope he gets a miraculous cure!

I would also be interested in knowing the approximate cost.

Quote Originally Posted by rahilka View Post
    I'll be accompanying my brother, a C3-C5 quad, to Panama City, Panama, for stem cell treatment at the Stem Cell Institute there. We'll be in Panama from Feb 4 - March 11. I know this is a subject a lot of you are interested in, and can be a difficult one to find good information on, so I invite any of you to follow along on his blog to learn more about the treatment and his results - http://danielleonard.weebly.com/ (most blog entries so far are about our fundraising efforts, but I'll start updating it with descriptions of the treatment as soon as we get to Panama). I'm also happy to answer any questions anyone has about how we chose Panama, fundraising, the travel experience, etc. - just email me at rahilka @ yahoo.com.

Feel free to comment here in this forum, obviously, but please - if you don't agree with our decision to try this, go ahead and say so, but please keep the hating to a minimum. We realize it's experimental, and we want to try it anyway. I promise to be as unbiased as possible in my reporting of his results, to try to help anyone else who's considering doing this.
    I take it you didnt watch the 60 minutes piece on fraudulent drs selling unproven even dangerous "stem cell treatments". There arent any proven stem cell treatments for sci anywhere in the world. There are now many respected drs and or labs doing legit clinical trials throughout the world.

Its sad to see you and your brother falling for these shysters and there claims. They are taking advantage of your desperation. JMO.

He aint heavy, he's my brother.

I totally respect how much you obviously care for your brother and wish you the best of luck. I hope you and your brother find what we all want, a treatment that'll help us or even cure us.
    "I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-
    Left my meds on the sink again-
    My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->

In the information packet they sent us before we made our appointment, it said the cost of the treatment was approximately $35K. However, our appointment confirmation email said the actual cost is $30,750 - I assume that includes everything we have to pay them for, but I'll let you guys know if the number changes when we get there. We are renting a fully accessible apartment for $3K/month, and besides that, it's just plane tickets and food and other miscellaneous expenses - all in, I'm estimating it'll come out around $40K. My family is paying for a big chunk of it ourselves, and we raised ~$15K in fundraising efforts over the last several months.

If we have good results this time around, we hope to do this again - their best results have been with patients who return 2-4 times. Follow up treatments are only two weeks, rather than four weeks, and you get a 25% discount for being a previous patient, so follow up treatments should be significantly less expensive.

Times two. Save your money for something proven down the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by ineedmyelin View Post
    I take it you didnt watch the 60 minutes piece on fraudulent drs selling unproven even dangerous "stem cell treatments". There arent any proven stem cell treatments for sci anywhere in the world. There are now many respected drs and or labs doing legit clinical trials throughout the world.

Its sad to see you and your brother falling for these shysters and there claims. They are taking advantage of your desperation. JMO.

He aint heavy, he's my brother.

I totally respect how much you obviously care for your brother and wish you the best of luck. I hope you and your brother find what we all want, a treatment that'll help us or even cure us.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Can some people please lend their thoughts?

I tend to be skeptical of any injection method except directly into the injury site, or really close to it.... Are those thoughts warranted?
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature