Thread: Other Routes

Other Routes

I have been using Vetericyn for quite a bit now. I'm getting to where I can't afford it any long. It has helped me STAy uti free since I started using it. Yay antibiotic free from utis.
    What are some other ways/thing you are using to install in your bladder to keep clean?

I use Methathiame or Hiprex 2x's a day. Seems to help. That and always trying to wash the hands before cathing. No matter How hard we try, UTI's do invade.

Some drug companies have programs for people who can't afford their drugs. Perhaps check into that and see if they are willing. Especially since you are already a user and have had good results, you could be considered a good spokesman for the drug.

Thanks Patrick.
    Instead of pill form. As in installation in bladder. Peroxide, Diluted Baking Soda??
    Last edited by zwthomp; 01-21-2012 at 03:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zwthomp View Post
    I have been using Vetericyn for quite a bit now. I'm getting to where I can't afford it any long. It has helped me STAy uti free since I started using it. Yay antibiotic free from utis.
    What are some other ways/thing you are using to install in your bladder to keep clean?
    I'm glad to hear you have had such a good run using Vetericyn. I understand it is expensive. I am wondering how much and how often you use it. You might be able to use less and/or try every other day. I don't know if this would work for you, but it may be worth the try. The other bladder instillations you mention, peroxide, baking soda in dilution don't have the track record that Vetericyn seems to have. I believe Bob Clark, a member here has used or is using a peroxide wash. You might want to send him a Private Message (PM) and ask about his technique. Or use the search feature and try to find some of his posts about his use of peroxide. I think he has a couple of posts in this thread: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...yn+open+letter

All the best,
    GJ

I wouldn't suggest you use baking soda, since it isn't very antiseptic, and several microbes thrive in alkaline conditions. If you look at the percent of sodium hypochlorite, etc in microcyn, you should be able to figure out how much bleach to put into water to make your own (at a tiny fraction of the cost). I'd figure it out now, but it's late and I'm off to bed. If you can't figure it out, PM me and I'll get to it when I can.

did you have alot of uti's before using the Vetericyn? i've been 33 years and probably had two, but i drink alot
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    did you have alot of uti's before using the Vetericyn? i've been 33 years and probably had two, but i drink alot
    Yes, I had lots of problems with keeping my urine uninfected. Seemed like every month I was getting one no matter how much water I drank.

Do you think it's ok to use straight Clorox and dilute it enough to may it the correct ratio, anyone!?!?
    Mutton I think I may shoot you a PM. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mutton View Post
    I wouldn't suggest you use baking soda, since it isn't very antiseptic, and several microbes thrive in alkaline conditions. If you look at the percent of sodium hypochlorite, etc in microcyn, you should be able to figure out how much bleach to put into water to make your own (at a tiny fraction of the cost). I'd figure it out now, but it's late and I'm off to bed. If you can't figure it out, PM me and I'll get to it when I can.
    Hello "zwthomp,"

This really isn't a very good idea. Chlorine bleach is highly alkaline. It has a very high pH. The pH of bleach can be has high as 10 or 11. This can be very nasty stuff. Water ph is basically 7, so using water to dilute bleach is still going to give you a very alkaline bladder wash or instillation. You don't want an alkaline bladder. Urine is ideally neutral to slightly acidic (pH 5.8–pH 7). An established infection gives rise to alkaline urine (pH 7.5 or higher) which causes stinging and burning. You don't want to have over acid or over alkaline urine/bladder. Acidic urine is associated with xanthine, cystine, uric acid, and calcium oxalate stones. Alkaline urine is associated with calcium carbonate, calcium phosphate, and magnesium phosphate stones.
    ---http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003583.htm

Here is an explanation of why Vetericyn is different from diluted bleach:
    Is Vetericyn just “diluted bleach”?
    No. Diluted bleach is also known as Dakin’s Solution and is made as needed with varying concentrations and does not have a long shelf life. Although Vetericyn contains trace amounts of sodium hypochlorite, the active ingredient in Vetericyn is Hypochlorous acid. Hypochlorous acid is very effective for eliminating microorganisms. On its own Hypocholorous acid is very unstable. Microcyn patented technology created a stable product that can be stored for months. In addition, Vetericyn products are formulated targeting around pH 7.0 (neutral point); whereas "Diluted bleach", or Dakin’s solution, normally has to have a pH of over 11 to achieve equal effectiveness in killing pathogens. Also, Dakin’s Solution harms healthy tissue while Vetericyn does not.
    ---If you haven't read this or it has been a while, you need to visit this website: http://vetericyn.com/technology/faq.php

Microcyn/Vetericyn has a safety profile comparable to saline. It is non-toxic and non-irritating and safe to use around eyes, nose and mouth. Would you wash your eyes out with diluted bleach? Hmmm, I don't think so.

I know you are desperately looking for an alternative to the expense of Vetericyn or Vetericyn VF, but please don't be beguiled by the diluted bleach alternative. It may be time to have a discussion with your urologist and find out what he thinks about medications like Uroquid or liquid Neosporin in solution for your situation. These maybe alternatives that he would consider after he gets a sense of the regular pH of your bladder and the nature of your urinary tract infections. These medications maybe covered by your insurance.

All the best,
    GJ

PS: "Mutton," please fill out your profile?