Thread: advice please

advice please

My little brother fell over a fence 2 weeks ago today and sustained a C5 C6 burst fracture with disc herniation. He had surgery and per current guidelines at BI in Boston no steriod treatment. He is using triceps and lifting legs a little. He is at spaulding rehab in Boston and has a great attitude. I however am feeling depressed and overwhelmed which is not like me at all. I want to do any thing and everything I can to help him make a full recovery. I could use any advice and support I can get right now. Thank you

Very early to tell what recovery will occur. Him being able to move anything below his level of injury is an encouraging sign. The more movement he has regained early on, the better. What you can do is be his advocate, and don't hesitate to question docs. They dont know everything. I wish ya'll the best.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSISBIGLOVE View Post
    My little brother fell over a fence 2 weeks ago today and sustained a C5 C6 burst fracture with disc herniation. He had surgery and per current guidelines at BI in Boston no steriod treatment. He is using triceps and lifting legs a little. He is at spaulding rehab in Boston and has a great attitude. I however am feeling depressed and overwhelmed which is not like me at all. I want to do any thing and everything I can to help him make a full recovery. I could use any advice and support I can get right now. Thank you
    BIGSISBIGLOVE,

Was he delayed in his admission to the hospital and that was the reason why they did not give him methylprednisolone? Do you know whether he has any sensation or movement in his arms? Does he have anal sensation?

Basically, rehabilitation of spinal cord injury is pretty straightforward. They will teach him to take care of his body, to use a wheelchair, to operate a computer, and to drive (if possible). They will set up routines for his bowel and bladder care. The goal is to get him as independent as possible. Due to technology, people with spinal cord injury can be amazingly independent and do quite a lot with a little bit of help. Fertility and sexual function are not only possible but can be achieved by most people with spinal cord injury.

Recovery occurs slowly after injury. Contrary to what popular media says, substantial recovery is the rule and not the exception after spinal cord injury. If a person has preserved function in the lowest segment of the spine (i.e. the sacral segments that receive and control anal sensation and contraction), recovery is probable. Most people recover at least one level and possibly more levels of function within a year after injury. While recovery does slow down after one year, about 20-30% of people continue to recover for longer periods, even 3 or more years after injury.

Several therapies have been reported to improve function in animals after spinal cord injury. Regeneration of the spinal cord is the holy grail of neuroscience research and many researchers are working on ways to restore function, including regeneration of spinal tracts that have been lost. While there is much skepticism and even nihilism on this subject, several clinical trials have started. In China, we are doing clinical trials of umbilical cord blood cell transplants and lithium therapy in people with chronic spinal cord injury.

The Geron trial, which tested the effects of oligodendroglial precursor cells derived from embryonic stem cells, was terminated by the company last year. A company called Stem Cell Inc. is doing a trial of a fetal neural stem cell line in people who are 6 months after injury in Switzerland. Another company called Neuralstem recently received permission to transplant fetal neural stem cells into people with chronic spinal cord injury. You can look up these trials in http://clinicaltrials.gov and do a search for "spinal cord injury".

In the meantime, visit your brother often and tell him that his big sis loves him as much as he can tolerate.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSISBIGLOVE View Post
    I had a c6 incomplete spinal cord injury in May of 2009. Since then I have gained a lot of function back. Most people would never suspect that at one point I could not move anything below my shoulders.

It is a very good sign that he is moving his legs and triceps so soon. Keep in mind that recovery can be excruciatingly slow and frustrating.

Support him anyway you can. I wish you and your brother the best.

I just found this thread and wanted to let you know that I am in Boston too and have had dealings with Spaulding Rehab. They are very good at what they do, so at least for the area he is in one of the better places possible.

Unfortunately, the OP has not been back to our forums since the day of her first and only post. I hope she will return.

(KLD)

Just be there for your bro.. That's all you can control. Don't feel responsible for the things you can't control, wether he ends up in a wheelchair or doing back flips. All you can do is choose to be an amazing sister and help him in any way possible, each and every day. PM me if you have any questions at all.
    "Be stronger than all your excuses...."