Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Business Door

Business Door

An able body friend owns a photography studio but now needs to make the door wider for wheelchair user. Are there any grants in GA that he can apply for? He has customers in chairs but no way to get them in the 26in doorway.
    John-B

Hud

Have him contact his city hall's Housing and Urban Development, HUD, department and ask them. They may have low interest loans available especially for ingress/egress of persons with disabilities. This would blanket all types of modifications including restrooms too.

Some programs are like 60/40 or 80/20.

Every year it's a different kind of program either by local, state or federal government.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

It is also tax deductable for his business. He should discuss with his accountant.

(KLD)

Its not that costly to widen a door frame that I would think you would need a loan for...is it a brick building or something. I built a photography studio for our daughter and put is double opening french doors the kind with panes in them. That way she could use the decorative door as a backdrop as well. Just a idea.
    ps..dads the one in the chair

Its an old block building.
    John-B

I see...that would be more costly.

Look into offset hinges too. That could gain +2" w/o structural modification.

He's only got a 26" doorway now so the offset hinges would only give it 28"....have you had any luck with the offset hinges? I have tried to put a pair on our bedroom doorway, which is 36" wide but he still wants to hit it cause its kinda a bad corner getting thru there. The door is now floppy? Only 2 come to a box, but should I use three like any other hinges are?

Yeah, use 3. Your door shouldn't be floppy.

For sake of discussion, I'm not a small guy, but not big either. I weigh somewhere around 175lbs. My chair (manual) w/ a 17" wide seat + everyday wheels/tires & 2ยบ of camber is a hair under 26.5" wide. I can squeeze through most 28" doorways w/ doors on standard hinges, though my handrims do rub.