Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: More on Airlines' Discrimination of PWD

Quote Originally Posted by JenJen View Post
    Cass,

You know far more about this than I do. I thought it was good reporting. Can you help me understand how it was wrong so I can contact the reporter? We all benefit when the media gets "us" right.

Thanks
    I agree JenJen. I thought it was a good article and well written. What are we missing?

for starters, a quadriplegic cannot be denied boarding due to lack of self evac.(article stated they could). same could be said of paras and numerous disabilities, incl. elderly, o2 ppl. etc. babies even. it simply is not true. there may be uneducated flight crew out there and the airlines need to deal with them. i am a quad. i fly alone. think about it a minute...if self evac is a requisite, why in the hell would aisle chairs even be available to board? i have been flying alone since 1987, domestic and international.

to hip's prob, now i have to laugh as i've had to fight for window seat. and i mean laugh at the airlines, certainly not hip. what that airlines is doing to hip is stupid, prob illegal (not sure if ACAA covers her area). the only seating one can be denied in the u.s. is emergency row seating where the evac chutes are. i have never seen anything else related to seating except aisle seating req. rotating armrests, which is req under ACAA along w/accessible lav, aisle chrs, etc. dep. on make/model/yr aircraft. btw, amer eagle is a sub of american airlines, one of our lowest ranked airlines, fwiw. furthermore, dis pass are preboarded, not boarded last, or should be. i always have been preboarded. shame on amer eagle and complaints should be filed.

definitely we need to stand up for our rights. i believe the ACAA covers most of them and if ppl carried a copy of it, it might help. so far, i have not seen anybody say in all the posts on airline complaints, that they had and showed this doc to the personnel.

please, ppl. dl full ACAA, carry it with you.

the article seems primarily interested in suing. i'm not. i'm interested in enforcing what is already law by being informed and having that info w/me. though i have never had to show it, it might help others.

btw, i never leave a/c until MY chr is at the door, except under very unusual circumstances and i mean unusual.
    Last edited by cass; 01-25-2012 at 06:35 AM.

Thanks Cass. Well spoken.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

cass, thanks for the info. The last time I had this fight, I was told there was someone from the FAA at the airport who talked to the flight crew and specifically told them that I was required to take the window seat. When I challenged the flight attendants and told them I wanted to see the regulation that stated crips must take the window seat, I was told they don't have to show me any regulations because "they are classified."

While I agree that carrying a copy of the ACAA is a good idea, it won't help me one bit without also having a copy of all current FAA safety regulations re: seating, especially when the flight attendants claim that such information is ''classified.'' I've put in three hours of searching for those regs to no avail. Do you have any idea where I can find them?
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

When Lynx (Frontier booked flights) booted my husband off after they had boarded him we were told it would never happen again.
    United flew us home and the pilots said they were embarrassed for the industry that it happened at all. They did make him take the window seat.
    But then last year the same thing happened with Frontier to a quadriplegic young man trying to get home from a wedding in Texas (if I recall right) to CO.
    It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    cass, thanks for the info. The last time I had this fight, I was told there was someone from the FAA at the airport who talked to the flight crew and specifically told them that I was required to take the window seat. When I challenged the flight attendants and told them I wanted to see the regulation that stated crips must take the window seat, I was told they don't have to show me any regulations because "they are classified."

While I agree that carrying a copy of the ACAA is a good idea, it won't help me one bit without also having a copy of all current FAA safety regulations re: seating, especially when the flight attendants claim that such information is ''classified.'' I've put in three hours of searching for those regs to no avail. Do you have any idea where I can find them?
    hip, they are lying. FAA regs are not classified. they're just pulling the vague safety bullshit. get names and report them. wish i'd been there; the FAA doesn't regulate disability seating except evac rows and, in some instances (ok, obese) seatbelts. i'm also betting there was no FAA person; i would have asked for that name, too.

one more thing the PIC (pilot in command), NOT the flight attendants, are the final say on any flight regarding safety. if you have a problem, ask to talk to him/her. if denied this, get his/her name as well. contact the airlines and the DOT. i am really, really sorry this is happening at all. ppl complain about the ADA not having the ability to impose fines, that one has to sue under the DOJ. this article ignores the fact you don't have to sue under the ACAA (DOT). fines will be imposed.
    Last edited by cass; 01-27-2012 at 03:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    When Lynx (Frontier booked flights) booted my husband off after they had boarded him we were told it would never happen again.
    United flew us home and the pilots said they were embarrassed for the industry that it happened at all. They did make him take the window seat.
    But then last year the same thing happened with Frontier to a quadriplegic young man trying to get home from a wedding in Texas (if I recall right) to CO.
    It happens.
    i know, linda, i remember your posts. this should not happen. most ppl in the industry know this and are upset by it. file complaints to DOT and the airlines. get names. the latter is crucial, as well as flight number/date to verify flight crew. the airlines are not usually happy with these flight crew members.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    i know, linda, i remember your posts. this should not happen. most ppl in the industry know this and are upset by it. file complaints to DOT and the airlines. get names. the latter is crucial, as well as flight number/date to verify flight crew. the airlines are not usually happy with these flight crew members.
    The representative of the airline was so apologetic (after at first our tickets were not going to be refunded) and said they were waiting for the flight crew to return to get an incident report of what happened.
    She really listened and was personally horrified and embarrassed.
    We never heard back from the educator at rehab where we had taken the flight class twice-my sister and her bf came from CA to attend the second one. That was dissapointing, but nothing to do with the airline.
    When we went back 18 months later the rep called many times and we had 4 free tickets and even contacted the airport manager at our small local airport.
    The crew was especially nice to us and when we landed in CO they were waiting for us on the tarmac. (where we had sat before Dave on aisle seat while we fumbled getting the chair put together in the wind of the propeller)
    The same scout that had to remove him was so apologetic and sincere about how terrible they felt that day. We had VIP treatment on the way home too and were told what happened to us would not happen again. The pilots were so nice too on that second flight.
    For that reason we did not file a complaint along with the fact we were overwhelmed and raw from everything in our new home and everything that happens when you return from rehab. I wish I knew about CCC back then.
    Even the woman who had to spend much of the day with us and got the tickets with the other airline met us and said she always tells our story in education classes and told us to call her any time were going to come through that airport.
    We won't fly again though.
    I was never going to blurt out the airline since they did their best to make up for it and knowing it would not happen to anyone else was a great comfort-until it happened to that guy several months ago and brought it all up again.
    What a thing to happen on the way home from rehab when you just want to go home.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 47+years View Post
    I hate those aisle chairs, so my husband just picks me up and carries me on board. He does it so quickly no one has time to stop him. We've never been given any flack.

We were flying to South America once and checked my chair all the way through. When we landed in Miami I used an airport chair to go to our connecting flight. As we were going through the terminal our small son said, "Look, Mom. That man is riding in your chair!" Sure enough!! The airline had taken my chair out of baggage and put some guy in it. I would have landed in South America with no chair if my son hadn't been so observant.
    Oh good grief! That IS scary....

It's stuff like this that makes me not want to fly any more.