Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More on Airlines' Discrimination of PWD

More on Airlines' Discrimination of PWD

This writer got it right. Let her know!

... Because the family had flown to Disney World with the same airline and without problems, Dainiak sees this not as an airline company problem, but as an issue with a lack of streamlined policies issue. Flying with a disability has unpredictable outcomes, he said, with the right to stay on board left to the “whim” of the flight attendant and discretion of the pilot...

http://www.toledofreepress.com/2012/...uing-airlines/
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

My husband was removed from the plane after we had boarded because the pilot decided it was not safe to the other passengers to have him on the flight.
    This was a trip that was booked by rehab hospital to return home, everything arranged and we had 2 other adults with us.
    Another airline flew us home with no problems, but it was humiliating and frightening experience.
    I've told the story here before and won't again, but it is sad it happens and riles me up whenever I hear these things.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    My husband was removed from the plane after we had boarded because the pilot decided it was not safe to the other passengers to have him on the flight.
    This was a trip that was booked by rehab hospital to return home, everything arranged and we had 2 other adults with us.
    Another airline flew us home with no problems, but it was humiliating and frightening experience.
    I've told the story here before and won't again, but it is sad it happens and riles me up whenever I hear these things.
    (So far) I've not been denied boarding. I really think you should go to the page and tell this reporter your story. This is so wrong and we need to see it changed.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

What is it with the pilots? I have never been denied boarding, but I have noticed that while the flight attendants are usually really nice and friendly if a pilot sees me and has seen me board in an aisle chair I get the stink eye. Do we cause them extra work or something?

So...if they can refuse boarding to us because we "may not be able to get off the plane" without assistance in the event of an emergency...then how could they let those elderly people travel? They move slower than I would ever...and that is with me scooting on the ground if need be. We are not second class citizens because we have a disability...but we sure are treated that way aren't we?
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

When the hell are they going to change their effen regulations on airplanes. Why does every other form of transportation need to comply to access, but airplanes fall outside the laws of the ADA? I believe the are covered by a federal avaition law...which must have a Rosa Parks clause attached. I would travel SO much more if I could drive onto the plane and lock down to the floor. Instead, you get dragged down the aisle on the Hannibal Lector dolly and then pray you don't witness your chair fall out of the back of the plane. Bastards!

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    What is it with the pilots? I have never been denied boarding, but I have noticed that while the flight attendants are usually really nice and friendly if a pilot sees me and has seen me board in an aisle chair I get the stink eye. Do we cause them extra work or something?
    I don't know that answer, I hope someone here does. But everytime I've flown, the pilot usually doesn't leave the plane until I'm back in my chair, sometimes he stands in the jetway with all the other flight attendents until I'm done then we all walk up the jetway together. Maybe since you're on the plane he has to wait an extra 5 or 10 mins until your chair comes up before he can hit the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost6871 View Post
    When the hell are they going to change their effen regulations on airplanes. Why does every other form of transportation need to comply to access, but airplanes fall outside the laws of the ADA? I believe the are covered by a federal avaition law...which must have a Rosa Parks clause attached. I would travel SO much more if I could drive onto the plane and lock down to the floor. Instead, you get dragged down the aisle on the Hannibal Lector dolly and then pray you don't witness your chair fall out of the back of the plane. Bastards!
    airline compliance actually predates ADA and does not fall under it. they have to comply with ACAA (Airline Carrier Access Act). this act is law in the U.S. as an airplane engineer and quad, i can tell you, you will not be able to lock your chr in an airliner. the complications are immense for safety reasons, for logistics, etc. the other forms of transport are not going 600 plus mph. GEESH.

btw, look it up cause i'm tired of posting it.
    Last edited by cass; 01-23-2012 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    I don't know that answer, I hope someone here does. But everytime I've flown, the pilot usually doesn't leave the plane until I'm back in my chair, sometimes he stands in the jetway with all the other flight attendents until I'm done then we all walk up the jetway together. Maybe since you're on the plane he has to wait an extra 5 or 10 mins until your chair comes up before he can hit the bar.
    you cannot be left alone by a member of the crew on a plane. has nothing to do with the bar and i find that comment offensive. these ppl are there to help; if they don't, get names, complain. sorry, wtf, but i know so many pilots and i can tell you, you first complimented the pilot, then slammed her/him. not fair. airline personnel have to wait until you deplane. if the pilot has, i'd thank him/her especially.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    you cannot be left alone by a member of the crew on a plane. has nothing to do with the bar and i find that comment offensive. these ppl are there to help; if they don't, get names, complain. sorry, wtf, but i know so many pilots and i can tell you, you first complimented the pilot, then slammed her/him. not fair. airline personnel have to wait until you deplane. if the pilot has, i'd thank him/her.
    Calm down Cass, geez it was a joke, try laughing sometime. Of course I appreciate the pilots and flight attendents, they've all been great to me, I've had nothing but good experiences when I've flown.