Thread: How many complex powerchair users are there?

How many complex powerchair users are there?

Hello everyone,

I am currently doing research into the complex rehab market, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any studies that have estimated the number of complex rehab wheelchair users in the U.S.?

I think the data often overlooks users of complex rehab chairs and just focuses on users of standard powerchairs or manual wheelchairs. In my opinion this misses out on a vital portion of the population that has separate needs. I am working to prove that this is a viable, important market and that companies should continue to invest in further complex rehab technology, so any help along these lines would be much appreciated.

In particular, I am looking for estimates of the # of complex power chair users in the U.S., units sold over the past few years, and the $ total of the market. Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm curious, where's the line on features that make a chair complex. Mine sure isn't, but I have friends who have tilting/reclining/lifting power chairs. Is that 'complex'? Or does complex lean more toward puff and/or eye control.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairmarketresearch View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am currently doing research into the complex rehab market, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any studies that have estimated the number of complex rehab wheelchair users in the U.S.?

I think the data often overlooks users of complex rehab chairs and just focuses on users of standard powerchairs or manual wheelchairs. In my opinion this misses out on a vital portion of the population that has separate needs. I am working to prove that this is a viable, important market and that companies should continue to invest in further complex rehab technology, so any help along these lines would be much appreciated.

In particular, I am looking for estimates of the # of complex power chair users in the U.S., units sold over the past few years, and the $ total of the market. Thanks in advance for your help!

I don't even know what a complex rehab chair is or what complex rehab technology means. I use a power chair, an Invacare TDX-SP.

Anyone else...
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Millard View Post

I don't even know what a complex rehab chair is or what complex rehab technology means. I use a power chair, an Invacare TDX-SP.

Anyone else...
    A complex rehab power chair is an electric wheelchair that also has power options. Power options include things like power tilt, power leg rests, etc. Hope that helps. Complex rehab chairs are generally classified by Medicare as "group 3" chairs.

I got a Ranger X ten years ago, five years later I changed things up and got a TDX 5. (huge 5 year mistake) After 3 1/5 years using the TDX any dealing with all its problems, I got my old Ranger repaired and stored my TDX in the garage. Today I got an evaluation for a new chair and on the 30th, I'll be ordering a new Ranger. Once I get that one I plan to sell the very lightly used TDX to make room in the garage for my old Ranger.

As for what a complex power chair is, I'm not sure, but I guess the original post was pertaining to power wheelchairs with tilt and/or recline features?

Quantum 6000 chair user here. It has tilt/recline.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Quantum 6000 chair user here. It has tilt/recline.
    Me too! Mine is a sexy gunmetal gray.

Invacare Storm 4 (European market) with seat tilt and elevator.

Invacare Torque SP (horrible lemon) with tilt, and the option for joystick control or sip and puff driving. And electric leg bag drainer.

TDX-SP with Tilt-in-Space seating. All my powerchairs have tilt.